What's new

So, what is the Jazzfanz verdict?

Was Sloan pushed out or did he leave on his own?

• He was pushed out

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • He left on his own accord

Votes: 52 73.2%

• Total voters
It was just his time and nobody pushed him. If he thought it was wrong he would have made them fire him (IF it was a fire or resign, or a me or him situation). I'm sure there were factors, but nobody could convince/force him to do something.

I thought I heard a quote from Locke that said: (can't find a link, so it's probably not perfect)
"Anybody who thinks Jerry Sloan was forced out, doesn't know Jerry Sloan."
/thread

Last edited:
Well, a little of both.
Would Greg or KOC ask for his resignation? No. Did Deron say "fire Sloan or trade me." Certainly not.

But it's been quite apparent this team isn't running the plays and is completely disinterested on the defensive end. If Larry were alive, he most certainly would have visited the lockerroom and ripped a new one in several players. And Jerry would have had the confidence, like he did a few years ago, to ask if anyone wanted to be traded. That just doesn't happen with Greggy Boy in charge.

And the Millers, despite the team floundering the past two months, have not opened their wallets to improve the team. KOC has the most boring job in the NBA right now. He may as well take an extended vacation; the Jazz aren't looking to make changes - other than dumping some of AK's salary of they can.

I don't blame Sloan for finally get sick and tired of the situation. Nothing was going to change. Deron and others could openly defy him. Nothing was being done from a personnel standpoint. If I were him, I'd have done the same.

I think personnel had more to do with it than anything. Why continue to fight the good fight when you already know the outcome? The Miller's aren't going to open their pocket books anytime soon and get the talent needed to take the team further than 1-2 rounds in the play-offs. As long as fans continue to believe in the team and continue to support the team with the personnel that we have had on the team for years, the Millers have no reason to change anything. They will continue to be profitable with this formula. How many times as a Jazz fan have you heard, "we just want to be competitive" from management/coaching?

How many times as a Jazz fan have you heard, "we just want to be competitive" from management/coaching?

Or, "we haven't seen what this team can do yet."
I guess that line can still be used, though. Memo isn't healthy, Deron is still recovering from his injury, AK is out, Big Al will surely learn the offense by the end of the season, right? WINK;-)
Yep, we'll never really see what this team can do, because they're going to play themselves right out od the playoffs. Then, on the last day, when Denver is resting their starters for the playoffs, CJ will drop 30, Big Al will get a double-double, Deron wlll go off for 25/15 and Greg will say, "see, just imagine what these guys could have done if not for all the injuries. Jazz could have competed for a championship. And we expect to have all these guys back healthy next season."

And the fans will dutifully plunk down their cash for season ticket renewals and all will be well in Miller land.

I don't think either answer is true. I lean toward the interpretation of "the terms of his role with the team were fundamentally different than he was accustomed to and he chose not to accept that."

The terms changing could be interpreted as a "push" but the choice means he "left of his own accord."

One extremely frustrating thing presently going on is the denial that Deron presented an ultimatum. No one has ever made this allegation, but the denial that he made an ultimatum is being used bluntly to "prove" that Deron didn't have a role in Sloan's leaving.

Sloanfeld is reporting that a bunch of people on this board are claiming that Boozer came into the Jazz locker room on the infamous night and told Sloan, "YOU ARE FULL OF PRUNES! TAKE THAT, SILLY MAN!" and then Sloan said, "DON'T YOU KNOW I'LL GIVE YOU A NOOGIE FOR SAYING THAT BULLHONKEY?" and then the two proceeded to give each other wedgies until Sloan committed to retiring.

You know, guys, I have to side with Sloanfeld on this one; whoever is saying this stuff is WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!

mean_face1.jpg

Just like most things, it's not that simple. Management/Ownership didn't stand behind Jerry about something that they would've in the past and I think that was the brick that broke the camel's back. He's obviously very deeply hurt about something, and apparently Johnson would've guided the franchise for a while but left as a matter of principle. I don't think Deron willfully led an actual mutiny or went above Sloan and gave them an ultimatum. And Sloan had thought about retiring many times over the years, ownership's divergence from the norm is what made the decision clear to him.

Deron probably feels bad while at the same time probably feels liberated. He knows pretty well the gravity of this situation, and this is either going to make him the man we've wanted him to be, or it will turn him into Carmelo Anthony. I don't think there's a middle ground. I hope it's the former.

Well, you might recall the story about him being most upset about the Jazz not matching Matthews that was relayed to me in person by a close personal friend and former teammate of Jerry's on the Bulls, Clifford Ray. So the idea that he didn't get the same support from Greg that he got from Larry might've been part of what happened, plus the same thing might've happened with Deron, that Jerry did want to suspend him and was overridden by Greg. But I'm just speculating.

Well said, Numberica.
I think you're right that management didn't support him anymore on player issues. Deron had confronted him, by most accounts, 3 times this season, and other players as well. Under Larry, those players would have been ripped new ones, then benched and traded. I commend Johnson on stepping down to show his support for Jerry. What an amazing act of friendship and loyalty.

And I agree with you re: Deron. This either serves as a learning experience and thrusts him forward into a leadership role, or he continues to do whatever the hell he wants, disregards Corbin if he doesn't like a play call and then whines until he gets traded or leaves via free agency.

I think it's cute that so many people are trying to be as fair as possible with Deron when it seems much more likely that he had something to do with this than Fisher lying to get out of his contract. Absolutely hilarious.

Well, a little of both.
Would Greg or KOC ask for his resignation? No. Did Deron say "fire Sloan or trade me." Certainly not.

But it's been quite apparent this team isn't running the plays and is completely disinterested on the defensive end. If Larry were alive, he most certainly would have visited the lockerroom and ripped a new one in several players. And Jerry would have had the confidence, like he did a few years ago, to ask if anyone wanted to be traded. That just doesn't happen with Greggy Boy in charge.

And the Millers, despite the team floundering the past two months, have not opened their wallets to improve the team. KOC has the most boring job in the NBA right now. He may as well take an extended vacation; the Jazz aren't looking to make changes - other than dumping some of AK's salary of they can.

I don't blame Sloan for finally get sick and tired of the situation. Nothing was going to change. Deron and others could openly defy him. Nothing was being done from a personnel standpoint. If I were him, I'd have done the same.

+1... I cannot even think about Jerry giving up just because of a series of heated arguments with Williams. He has always dealt with those kind of stuff. He was able to deal with Karl Malone. I think, he has had enough. I am a big Sloan fan, it's depressing to see him leave like this. However, Deron cannot be the unique reason for his quitting. I cannot blame Deron for arguing with Jerry, both are competitive and want to win. If the rumors claiming that Deron said "either coach, or me" turns out to be true, then I will forever hate Deron. I just cannot believe and do not believe so. Jerry might feel like he no longer has the fire, competitiveness and energy to deal with the problems that he is likey to face during another season.

Sloanfeld is reporting that a bunch of people on this board are claiming that Boozer came into the Jazz locker room on the infamous night and told Sloan, "YOU ARE FULL OF PRUNES! TAKE THAT, SILLY MAN!" and then Sloan said, "DON'T YOU KNOW I'LL GIVE YOU A NOOGIE FOR SAYING THAT BULLHONKEY?" and then the two proceeded to give each other wedgies until Sloan committed to retiring.

You know, guys, I have to side with Sloanfeld on this one; whoever is saying this stuff is WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!

mean_face1.jpg

sweet sloany neg repped me

Well, you might recall the story about him being most upset about the Jazz not matching Matthews that was relayed to me in person by a close personal friend and former teammate of Jerry's on the Bulls, Clifford Ray. So the idea that he didn't get the same support from Greg that he got from Larry might've been part of what happened, plus the same thing might've happened with Deron, that Jerry did want to suspend him and was overridden by Greg. But I'm just speculating.

Yeah, yeah.

You suck as a reporter!

I think we're just going to have to wait for some screenwriters to come up with the explanation

it'll be interesting to see all the different story lines that may develop

Between Clifford Ray and Jazz_Dancer_01 we should have all the information we need here.

But Dan Roberts told me that Jerry was having an affair with Amy Williams.

I think it's cute that so many people are trying to be as fair as possible with Deron when it seems much more likely that he had something to do with this than Fisher lying to get out of his contract. Absolutely hilarious.

For most people, I don't think the dislike of Fisher has anything to do with lying (those embarrassing retards on the sidelines notwithstanding), specifically. Anyone that understands how bad the contract he was on was and how not good he was (especially with the Jazz) is happy he left. The point is he used his daughter to get out of Utah. Most people don't buy that LA had the best treatment facilities available, especially since he was flying to NY during his ordeal here.

And regardless of all of that, he is a snake. He's the head of the NBPA, after all. And the worst flopper the league has EVER seen. And how disingenuous do you have to be to write a book about not how great of a player you are, but how great of a guy you are.

"Man, I am so ****ing humble. I am seriously the best guy." -Derek Fisher

41820215.JPG

Dude is seriously a piece of ****. He's a winner, and most winners are at this level.