What's new

So... who is going to replace Ricky?

Dante is playing exclusively at PG when Rubio sits and every game now he's throwing dunks down which you never see Rubio do and hardly ever see Mitchell do this year. Both Dante's dunks were going downhill when he went up ,he even went up on Embiid.
This isn't all he's doing …..he shook his man and took a jumper from the 3 pt line ,he didn't make it but he took it with confidence. Floaters are showing up in his offensive arsenal and he's making them.
Clearly Snyder's leash is off Exum finally. Being allowed to attack and shoot 3's from where he prefers (top of the key as opposed to the corner ) is letting Exum grow his confidence on the court.
Jazzfanz are so use to seeing the Snyder type player (grinders,hustlers,non athletic "intelligent" players) that Exum can't make mistakes or play through his mistakes without calling him a bust.
Jazz aren't going far with Rubio running the show ,he has athletic limitations and is getting by on savvy and experience. He'd be a good 3rd guard .Exum is going to make athletic mistakes but every game now his speed and athleticism are being used more wisely and the Jazz might be witnessing the needed scorer blossom right now in Exum.

Mitchell can't play the one at all with his current game. I said this in another thread but the Exum/3shooter/Favs lineup was originally ran with Mitchell in the first couple of games after the Korver acquisition but it never worked because Mitchell tunnel visions in a PnR and just looks for his shot all the time. Exum is making it go because he doesn't necessarily try to force his shot all the time and everyone is involved more.

Give DM no attention like Exum gets in that lineup and he'll terrorize too.

Last night Exum showed that he has to play. His upside is ridiculous. I'm not saying he should start, but he has to play. He has to play over Neto and has to play more minutes. Our chance of contending depends on Exum's development.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

He already plays over Neto, and I agree about his upside. I’m excited to see how his game evolves now that he’s getting a more solid role.

Rubio has some nights when he's solid and others where he's nearly unplayable. It's frustrating. It's hard to find good PGs.
For us it's hard. For the NBA it isn't hard though. Seems like every other team has a good one. Deepest position in the league imo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

In the last 5 games Exum has 18 assists / 3 turnovers
I'm waiting with baited breath to see what Cy finds wrong with this.
I also agree 100% that Exum needs more minutes. Maybe not from Rubio, but he has to be allowed to learn in actual games.

Dante is playing exclusively at PG when Rubio sits and every game now he's throwing dunks down which you never see Rubio do and hardly ever see Mitchell do this year. Both Dante's dunks were going downhill when he went up ,he even went up on Embiid.
This isn't all he's doing …..he shook his man and took a jumper from the 3 pt line ,he didn't make it but he took it with confidence. Floaters are showing up in his offensive arsenal and he's making them.
Clearly Snyder's leash is off Exum finally. Being allowed to attack and shoot 3's from where he prefers (top of the key as opposed to the corner ) is letting Exum grow his confidence on the court.
Jazzfanz are so use to seeing the Snyder type player (grinders,hustlers,non athletic "intelligent" players) that Exum can't make mistakes or play through his mistakes without calling him a bust.
Jazz aren't going far with Rubio running the show ,he has athletic limitations and is getting by on savvy and experience. He'd be a good 3rd guard .Exum is going to make athletic mistakes but every game now his speed and athleticism are being used more wisely and the Jazz might be witnessing the needed scorer blossom right now in Exum.
I agree with most of this. All except the "Snyder's leash" stuff. Dante's leash has been self inflicted. I'm really encouraged tho. He's dribbling around a little too much, but he's starting to rise up and shoot jump shots and he's finishing at the rim. He's obviously gaining confidence in his offense and he needs more minutes. If he continues to improve he could be the answer. A Dante/Donovan backcourt would be fun to watch.

I also agree 100% that Exum needs more minutes. Maybe not from Rubio, but he has to be allowed to learn in actual games.
I already know what cy will say. Small sample size and against backups

I agree with most of this. All except the "Snyder's leash" stuff. Dante's leash has been self inflicted. I'm really encouraged tho. He's dribbling around a little too much, but he's starting to rise up and shoot jump shots and he's finishing at the rim. He's obviously gaining confidence in his offense and he needs more minutes. If he continues to improve he could be the answer. A Dante/Donovan backcourt would be fun to watch.
DMX nickname is too damn good. Need Dante to get there for the nickname alone

Depending on what's available in the market, the Jazz might be better off playing Mitchell at the 1 and having another wing on the floor who can run the offense and share the load.
I'm back on Cy's side with this, I don't have much confidence in Mitchell's ability to run an offense right now, he doesn't need more to think about. Unless it really is just Quin saying "shoot a bunch" and if he instead said "You're our PG now, run the offense" But if every shot Mitchell was taking was okay with Quin I'd be shocked. He seems to know Mitchell is the best scorer on the team, but I don't think he likes seeing all those bad shots. He's too smart a basketball mind.

As for the question at hand: I don't really love any realistic options. A George Hill from a few years ago type would probably fit in well, but I don't want current George Hill. I wish we had fallen in love with SGA and made an aggressive move to go get him, that's a very hindsight thing to say though.

biggest problem with rubio isn't even necessarily his inconsistency shooting the ball. it is that teams don't respect his shooting. the back off him, let him shoot and it kills spacing and makes offense hard. even when he's hitting, they are backing off him and letting him shoot. most guys when they have off nights, they still are creating that spacing - making guys come out and contest, go over on the screen. Rubio makes things too easy on defenses.

also monte morris isn't going anywhere. denver loves him.

He's got enough minutes to do that.

Before this recent small stretch people complained about how Quin's approach of benching Dante for poor play would ruin Dante and he could only improve if he got a ton of minutes.

Our issues don't all fall on Rubio. They fall on the lack of another good offensively minded player. We have so many solid role players, but none of them can create a bucket.

We need to be using Thabo, Udoh, Neto and picks to acquire an offensive minded piece. We should hang on to Rubio and Favors for the time being although I'm not sure we bring either back next season.

Bazemore, Simmons, Dotson come to mind.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I was thinking of Blaze too but man i don’t know. We have Exum, Royce, and Allen off the bench.

I find this game vs the 76ers really strange. For the first several posessions Rubio didn't even touch the ball which is weird, because it felt like it was part of our gameplan. By the time he got the ball he looked out of rhythm, cold. I'm not blaming QS. I'm just pointing out that some days he starts the game 100mph shooting, assisting or turning the ball over, but this time he didn't even touch the ball for 5 minutes.

The thing that disappoints me the most about his game in Utah is not his shooting, it's his passing. His passing isn't half as good as it was in Minnesota. He's got more talented and veteran players around, but for some reason he doesn't make the quality passes he made, plus he turns the ball over more than ever. He was considered a wizard for his jaw-dropping passes, but now? Just above-average passes mixed with too many turnovers.

Years ago, when he wasn't a threat to shoot at all and his %s were atrocious, he took twice as many risks with his passes, averaged almost 10 assists/game and turned the ball just over 2/game. Now that he's got decent shooting %s he takes half the risks, averages half the assists, and turns the ball over almost 4 times/game. WTF?

He definitely hasn't looked like the Ricky from Minnesota (or earlier) in that regard since he joined the Jazz, except for a few games here and there. You can still see some eyes-on-the-back and thread-the-needle passes, but overall I think the system and his newfound aggressive style have impacted his passing and distributing overall. I've also been disappointed that he hasn't developed more chemistry with Gobert, and that's on both of them. Rudy is way too limited in his movement and he has pretty bad hands, he's not comfortable at all unless he has a straight open line to the rim, and yet Ricky's still throwing him some lobs and below-the-waist passes that he's never going to catch. I understand QS still wants them to run those plays so defenses have to guard both of them, but the success rate seems way too low on those and I'd rather see them try less frequently.

Ricky's still far and away the best option at PG on the roster, and while some prefer to focus on his FG% on an everyday basis, overall he's still effective and he can be a big contributor even when he's not shooting the ball well (though that wasn't the case yesterday), but it's evident this is not the best fit for him nor the Jazz. Despite how good of a coach Snyder is, I think his offensive sets are far from ideal for this roster and I don't think he's going to change them at all to allow the PG to have a more traditional role, so I have to agree with most that next summer will be the time to move on for both sides. In the meantime, I look forward to watching Rubio and the team bounce back and look like the dominant group that we saw on the second half of last season, while the negative Nancies here keep alternating between their endless whining and eating crow.