What's new

Some eye-popping stats

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
From an article on KSL by writer Ryan Miller:

• Utah is the only team to be in the top five in offense (5th) and defense (4th), according to NBA.com. But here's the thing: the Jazz have been even better than that. All the blowouts have frankly hurt their numbers, as fourth quarters have often been meaningless. Cleaning the Glass, which removes garbage time and end-of-quarter heaves, has the Jazz as the No. 2 defense and the No. 3 offense — and within fractional points of being in the top spot.
  • More proof of that: The Jazz has beat nine teams that are currently in the mix to make the playoffs. Here are the largest leads they had in some of those games: Clippers: 20; Spurs: 31; Trailblazers: 31; Warriors: 40; Bucks: 20; Hawks: 30; Cavs: 34; Knicks: 17.
  • Utah's full season stats are impressive, but the metrics during the 11-game streak are downright silly. According to Cleaning the Glass, the Jazz have the best offensive in the league, scoring 124 points per 100 possessions, nearly four points better than the second place team. They also have the top defense with a 101.9 defensive rating, just under two points better than second place team.
  • Utah's non-garbage time net rating over the course of the streak is 22.1. That's 11 points better than the next closest team, the defending champions Los Angeles Lakers.
  • Utah has trailed in the fourth quarter for just 57 seconds during the 11-game winning streak.
  • Mike Conley has a league-leading plus/minus of +259; Gobert is second at +199. Who's third? Kawhi Leonard at +175.
  • Over the course of the streak, the Jazz have outscored opponents by 20.5 points per game with Conley on the floor. No wonder why FiveThirtyEight has Conley rated as the best performing player this season.
  • The 11 straight wins have come by an average of 15.6 points. Only one, a 4-point win over Denver, has come by less than double digits.
  • The Jazz have made 20 threes in a game seven times this season. That's more than they had in franchise history before coming into the year. The 2015-16 Warriors, who won 73 games while blitzing the league with a perimeter attack, only made 20 threes seven times in the season.
  • Utah has made 319 threes through 19 games, the most ever in the first 19 games of a season.
  • 47% of the Jazz's shots are coming from deep and they are making those at a 39.8% clip. Last season, Dallas had the most efficient offense in NBA history and took over 40% of its shots from the perimeter, but the Mavs made just 37% of their threes. Utah has shot 42% from three during the streak.
  • Even when the Jazz do miss, though, they have have found success. The Jazz have the second-best offensive rebounding rate in the league. Mitchell and Conley are both having their best offensive rebounding seasons of their career, ranking n the 92nd percentile among guards, per Cleaning the Glass.
  • As the saying goes, good teams win; great teams cover. The Jazz are a perfect 11-0 against the spread during the win streak.
  • Speaking of Vegas, Jordan Clarkson is now the odds on betting favorite to win Sixth Man of the Year.

From an article on KSL by writer Ryan Miller:

• Utah is the only team to be in the top five in offense (5th) and defense (4th), according to NBA.com. But here's the thing: the Jazz have been even better than that. All the blowouts have frankly hurt their numbers, as fourth quarters have often been meaningless. Cleaning the Glass, which removes garbage time and end-of-quarter heaves, has the Jazz as the No. 2 defense and the No. 3 offense — and within fractional points of being in the top spot.
  • More proof of that: The Jazz has beat nine teams that are currently in the mix to make the playoffs. Here are the largest leads they had in some of those games: Clippers: 20; Spurs: 31; Trailblazers: 31; Warriors: 40; Bucks: 20; Hawks: 30; Cavs: 34; Knicks: 17.
  • Utah's full season stats are impressive, but the metrics during the 11-game streak are downright silly. According to Cleaning the Glass, the Jazz have the best offensive in the league, scoring 124 points per 100 possessions, nearly four points better than the second place team. They also have the top defense with a 101.9 defensive rating, just under two points better than second place team.
  • Utah's non-garbage time net rating over the course of the streak is 22.1. That's 11 points better than the next closest team, the defending champions Los Angeles Lakers.
  • Utah has trailed in the fourth quarter for just 57 seconds during the 11-game winning streak.
  • Mike Conley has a league-leading plus/minus of +259; Gobert is second at +199. Who's third? Kawhi Leonard at +175.
  • Over the course of the streak, the Jazz have outscored opponents by 20.5 points per game with Conley on the floor. No wonder why FiveThirtyEight has Conley rated as the best performing player this season.
  • The 11 straight wins have come by an average of 15.6 points. Only one, a 4-point win over Denver, has come by less than double digits.
  • The Jazz have made 20 threes in a game seven times this season. That's more than they had in franchise history before coming into the year. The 2015-16 Warriors, who won 73 games while blitzing the league with a perimeter attack, only made 20 threes seven times in the season.
  • Utah has made 319 threes through 19 games, the most ever in the first 19 games of a season.
  • 47% of the Jazz's shots are coming from deep and they are making those at a 39.8% clip. Last season, Dallas had the most efficient offense in NBA history and took over 40% of its shots from the perimeter, but the Mavs made just 37% of their threes. Utah has shot 42% from three during the streak.
  • Even when the Jazz do miss, though, they have have found success. The Jazz have the second-best offensive rebounding rate in the league. Mitchell and Conley are both having their best offensive rebounding seasons of their career, ranking n the 92nd percentile among guards, per Cleaning the Glass.
  • As the saying goes, good teams win; great teams cover. The Jazz are a perfect 11-0 against the spread during the win streak.
  • Speaking of Vegas, Jordan Clarkson is now the odds on betting favorite to win Sixth Man of the Year.
This is some history making goodness right here.

I'm not delusional. I know this win streak is not going to be the story of the rest of the season. But this is not a fluke. This is a plan and it is a plan that is working. This plan has a massive advantage in that it is good for all of the rotational players on our team. No one is being asked to sacrifice their stats, future earnings, lime light, or to ignore their strengths for the greater good. every player on this team benefits from this winning (waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong on that, but I'll take it and accept it, just going off my simple homer-fan 30,000ft view of things). That's why I think this feels special to so many of us. This isn't a square peg being forced into a round hole. This is full foreplay, full consent, mutual satisfaction, simultaneous climax, deepest secrets, no judgment, compatibility, commitment, true love.

And it shows.

This is some history making goodness right here.

I'm not delusional. I know this win streak is not going to be the story of the rest of the season. But this is not a fluke. This is a plan and it is a plan that is working. This plan has a massive advantage in that it is good for all of the rotational players on our team. No one is being asked to sacrifice their stats, future earnings, lime light, or to ignore their strengths for the greater good. every player on this team benefits from this winning (waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong on that, but I'll take it and accept it, just going off my simple homer-fan 30,000ft view of things). That's why I think this feels special to so many of us. This isn't a square peg being forced into a round hole. This is full foreplay, full consent, mutual satisfaction, simultaneous climax, deepest secrets, no judgment, compatibility, commitment, true love.

And it shows.
I think you are wrong.

This guy will fill you in:

1612109620094.jpeg

This has been done against mostly good teams during the high pressure of back to back compressed schedule during Covid. And the Jazz historically start slow. This is what the Jazz will be this season. Historic!

This has been done against mostly good teams during the high pressure of back to back compressed schedule during Covid. And the Jazz historically start slow. This is what the Jazz will be this season. Historic!
And the NBA usually takes a season to adjust to a hard to stop offense. So next year I think they will be slowed down a little bit. This is the year to run over the whole league.

I’m really interested to see what shape we’re in by the end of February (and how we deal with the lumps of a harder schedule that’ll break our rhythm).

I’m really interested to see what shape we’re in by the end of February (and how we deal with the lumps of a harder schedule that’ll break our rhythm).
We already had Clips and Bucks. The only team left to beat that is better is the Lakers.

I am looking through NBA tracking stats.

Looking at pick and roll ball handler it shows Bojan is our best (97th percentile) with Conley, Clarkson, and Ingles(all pretty close to 90th) not too far behind him. Although Bojan only gets about 1 a game. Mitchell(52nd) is our worst right by a fair amount.

For spot up plays Ingles and Mitchell are our best(95th percentile). Bojan, Niang, and Conley are next but much lower at about 70th percentile. Clarkson and Royce are down at 52nd. Funny stat is Gobert who gets .4 a game is one of the worst in the NBA and turns it over 25 percent of the time, haha.

None of our players are very good in isolation. I was surprised by this, I thought for sure Clarkson would be pretty good. He gets a lot of them but the points per possession is low and turnovers are high. Turnovers are really high for our whole team in these. Clarkson gets the most but his efg% is 36%.

In Catch and Shoot stats Ingles is the best but Conley, Mitchell, and Royce are all really good as well. Even Oni and Niang are pretty elite. Bojan and Clarkson are more average in this regard by their FG% but Bojan does get us the most points per game from these.

On Drives we get a lot of these and are pretty good. Mitchell has the most but Clarkson shoots the best on them. Bojan shoots the worst on drives on the team but gets the the FT line a lot higher than anyone else. Conley and Ingles get the most assists out of their drives.

Mitchell and Royce run the most while on the court. Clarkson and Niang run the fastest while on the court. Oddly Mitchell moves the slowest on average while on the court. I guess not surprising most of that is while on defense. But I think its partially effort and partially who he is usually guarding.

Mitchell gets the most touches followed by Conley. The odd one to me is that Royce is 3rd and by a decent amount. Clarkson gets the most points per touch by a long shot but that is no surprise.

I guess because of the system and to make the touches make more sense Royce has the most passes per game on our team. Mitchell receives the most passes. Conley and Mitchell get the most assists. Mitchell, Conley, and Ingles are all tied for hockey assists per game. Conley creates the most points from his assists. Conley and Mitchell are tied for most assists per pass. For the minutes played Gobert receives the lowest number of passes. I thought he would get more since he is getting them a lot at the top.

In transition Royce is involved the most. Clarkson is our best in transition he is a good scorer and shooting a good percentage. Gobert is the best ppp and shooting % but rarely involved, although his and 1 is crazy high at 8% of the time. Mitchell is pretty terrible, he turns it over a lot (16% of the time) and his shooting is bad (39%). But he gets to the line the most. Ingles turns it over a lot as well but better shooting %'s. Royce is also pretty good numbers as well.

Some of this shows me that we need to focus on what we are good at. Mitchell is better off ball where he is actually pretty elite and we need to run less iso plays.

Looking at pick and roll ball handler it shows Bojan is our best (97th percentile) with Conley, Clarkson, and Ingles(all pretty close to 90th) not too far behind him. Although Bojan only gets about 1 a game. Mitchell(52nd) is our worst right by a fair amount.

For spot up plays Ingles and Mitchell are our best(95th percentile). Bojan, Niang, and Conley are next but much lower at about 70th percentile. Clarkson and Royce are down at 52nd. Funny stat is Gobert who gets .4 a game is one of the worst in the NBA and turns it over 25 percent of the time, haha.

None of our players are very good in isolation. I was surprised by this, I thought for sure Clarkson would be pretty good. He gets a lot of them but the points per possession is low and turnovers are high. Turnovers are really high for our whole team in these. Clarkson gets the most but his efg% is 36%.

In Catch and Shoot stats Ingles is the best but Conley, Mitchell, and Royce are all really good as well. Even Oni and Niang are pretty elite. Bojan and Clarkson are more average in this regard by their FG% but Bojan does get us the most points per game from these.

On Drives we get a lot of these and are pretty good. Mitchell has the most but Clarkson shoots the best on them. Bojan shoots the worst on drives on the team but gets the the FT line a lot higher than anyone else. Conley and Ingles get the most assists out of their drives.

Mitchell and Royce run the most while on the court. Clarkson and Niang run the fastest while on the court. Oddly Mitchell moves the slowest on average while on the court. I guess not surprising most of that is while on defense. But I think its partially effort and partially who he is usually guarding.

Mitchell gets the most touches followed by Conley. The odd one to me is that Royce is 3rd and by a decent amount. Clarkson gets the most points per touch by a long shot but that is no surprise.

I guess because of the system and to make the touches make more sense Royce has the most passes per game on our team. Mitchell receives the most passes. Conley and Mitchell get the most assists. Mitchell, Conley, and Ingles are all tied for hockey assists per game. Conley creates the most points from his assists. Conley and Mitchell are tied for most assists per pass. For the minutes played Gobert receives the lowest number of passes. I thought he would get more since he is getting them a lot at the top.

In transition Royce is involved the most. Clarkson is our best in transition he is a good scorer and shooting a good percentage. Gobert is the best ppp and shooting % but rarely involved, although his and 1 is crazy high at 8% of the time. Mitchell is pretty terrible, he turns it over a lot (16% of the time) and his shooting is bad (39%). But he gets to the line the most. Ingles turns it over a lot as well but better shooting %'s. Royce is also pretty good numbers as well.

Some of this shows me that we need to focus on what we are good at. Mitchell is better off ball where he is actually pretty elite and we need to run less iso plays.
Thanks. This was really good.

This was really interesting and informative. A few of these stats really caught me by surprise.

Last edited:
There is a time and place for Donovan's iso game. I'm OK with the slow starts for him if it means that he is distributing and locking into early defense. Once we get into the final 6 minutes of a close game, THAT is the time for Donovan's iso. That is why Mike is so important. He removes pressure from Donovan through the first three quarters and saves him for the later stages of the game.

Of course this year the Third quarter is generally Jazz crunch time, so it's OK to call an audible and let Donovan go off there too, if we know we can drop the hammer.

Our real problem is that sometimes we are bound and determined to force that pocket pass to Rudy and Favors. If it's there, fine, but it needs to stop being a called play. Half our damn turnovers are when we telegraph that pass.

The problem with donovan's iso is he is finishing at a career low at the rim. If he were where he should be his iso game would be something else entirely.

Great teams absolutely need that player who can hunker down and carry the team from time to time when things just seem to be out of sync. For us that is Donovan but he needs to be way better and more consistent at it.

This info makes me wonder about the case of the regular season being different than playoffs. I think there are plays that occur that I think are too forced and I wish jazz would “just run the offense”. But players have green light to push the limit in their stuff and I think it is prep for second season, the playoffs.
I think don and Jordan are both practicing their iso skills at times. And even bogey post ups (which generally kill me btw) is a tool for the playoffs. So this practice leads to lower percentages that another play could achieve.

Interesting
In paragraph #2, what is a spot up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Interesting
In paragraph #2, what is a spot up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
I'll just post this definition it's better than my explanation:

"

Spot-up​

Spot-up possessions are similar to off-screen possessions, but there’s no screen being used before the player catches the ball. Players spotting up don’t need to be stationary, but they can’t be running off of screens before catching the ball. Players just standing in the corner before catching-and-shooting, or guys relocating to the 3-point line or fading to the corner and getting the ball on a kick out are all spotting up.

These possessions aren’t just catching and shoot. They can be catching-and-shooting, attacking a close-out by dribbling into a pull-up, dribbling into a floater, or driving to the rim are also included."

Last edited:
The top 3 Net rating players in the NBA are Conley, Gobert, and Niang. When you filter out players that havent played 20 games this year and dont play at least 10 min a game. For the Jazz Ingles is next followed in order by Royce, Bojan, Clarkson, Mitchell.

The problem with donovan's iso is he is finishing at a career low at the rim. If he were where he should be his iso game would be something else entirely.

Great teams absolutely need that player who can hunker down and carry the team from time to time when things just seem to be out of sync. For us that is Donovan but he needs to be way better and more consistent at it.

If Donovan was a better finisher he’d be averaging over 30 PPG.

If Donovan was a better finisher he’d be averaging over 30 PPG.
Easily. He easily loses 6-8 points per game with botched attempts at the rim, in fact they are shots he would have made in previous years, although his performance at the rim has been decreasing every year since his rookie year. I hope he figures this out. This part should be a prime focus for him, with his role on the team and his abilities. I really wonder what changed. His rookie year he was a wizard off the glass at the rim. Now more often than not I expect a clank off the rim. People will say it is focus of the defense but he has been the focus of the defense every year as it was obvious since the first half of his rookie year he was our best player, so I don't buy that. Plus plenty of elite players get focus from the opposing D and still are able to finish at the rim. Maybe Donovan just isn't as elite as we would like to think he is.

Question is, will he ever be?