What's new

Sorry gun advocates, you'll just have to suck it up

how about curing a larger disease.

the disease of destroying family.

compare single parent homes in different countries on the list. and u might notice a correlation

US single parent homes tend to be a bit above average, but nowhere near exceptional. A number of developed countries have a higher percentage of single parents homes.

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/single-parents-around-the-world/?_r=0

And please don't take this as a response to you. I understand that you have a perfect immunity against logic and reason. I just thought it would be an interesting statistic to present for the others.

blah blah blah

ffuuu-com-36e564.jpg

US single parents home tend to be a bit above average, but nowhere exceptional. A number of developed countries have a higher percentage of single parents homes.

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/single-parents-around-the-world/?_r=0

And please don't take this as a response to you. I understand that you have a perfect immunity against logic and reason. I just thought it would be an interesting statistic to present for the others.

70% of black "families" are single parent families, compared to white 25% are single parent families.(these stats are from 2013, since then both have risen a bit can find source so thats why i am stating 2013 numbers)

FACT: Despite making up just 13% of the population, blacks commit around half of homicides in the United States.
FACT: From 2011 to 2013, 38.5 per cent of people arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black(again 13% of population is black).

please stop blaming the guns. start blaming the people/culture

70% of black "families" are single parent families, compared to white 25% are single parent families.(these stats are from 2013, since then both have risen a bit can find source so thats why i am stating 2013 numbers)

FACT: Despite making up just 13% of the population, blacks commit around half of homicides in the United States.
FACT: From 2011 to 2013, 38.5 per cent of people arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black(again 13% of population is black).

please stop blaming the guns.

please stop blaming the cockroaches

CNV0ILUXAAAEXK_.jpg

anyone want to take a stab at explaining this?

If we want to have an honest discussion, can we be clear on the data we present?

For instance, in a nation with a high prevalence of firearms it is more likely that those firearms will be used by innocent people against someone attacking them. Can we remove those numbers from the chart above?

Also, in a nation with a high prevalence of firearms it is more likely that those firearms will be used in suicides. Can we remove those numbers from the chart above?

I'm more than happy to discuss the very real problems with America's gun culture, but I'm not going to do so alongside stupid charts like this.

EDIT: Forgot one. Police killing people (we're certainly not taking their guns away).

please stop blaming the guns. start blaming the people/culture

I wish there was some sort of final solution to this black problem. Got any ideas, Dutch?

Why do liberals hate guns because republican states are for them? These kind of stances perplex me. There are orders of magnitudes more preventable deaths by things as simple as more efficient, costly, and time consuming driver education at youth, yet the liberals ignore such a huge problem as this and focus on minor issues like guns. Why? Because it's divisive, and because people by and large don't like to address anything that will actually effect them and theirs. Liberals arm their children with deadly weapons of mass destruction on a daily basis yet they scream about guns. Ask yourselves why. It has nothing to do with actual harm; these neck breathers don't honestly care about stopping actual harm.

Prime example of:
1. Broad Generalization of Liberals
2. Sticking your head in the sand, screaming "Nothing's wrong, don't change it!"
3. Their opinion matters not because it's not mine

Liberals don't hate guns, liberals hate how easy it is for people that would use those guns poorly to get them. Broad stroke "liberals" go after many other deadly things(Healthcare, Education, Social nets that stop "life or death" struggles, War's that don't mean anything, etc).

But let's not let facts or logic get in the way of your grandstanding. Please, continue. You could probably apply for a blogger position for Fox News.

Why do liberals hate guns because republican states are for them? These kind of stances perplex me. There are orders of magnitudes more preventable deaths by things as simple as more efficient, costly, and time consuming driver education at youth, yet the liberals ignore such a huge problem as this and focus on minor issues like guns.

So, let me see if I understand your reasoning. Liberals' concern about gun violence and gun deaths is misplaced because there are other causes of preventable deaths that are larger? Correct?

Out of curiosity, what is the threshold for the number of preventable deaths that you believe suddenly propel something from 'minor' unworthy of attention to major and worthy of attention?

A follow-up question. It is possible that US society and political system is capable of addressing multiple issues simultaneously? [/QUOTE]

Why? Because it's divisive, and because people by and large don't like to address anything that will actually effect them and theirs.

BS. There are many perfectly valid reasons for liberals, or anyone for that matter, to be concerned about the level of gun violence in this country AND there is simply no way to even begin to address this issue in a rational way without factoring in the extent to which people in this country have easy access to guns. It is unavoidably part of the issue/problem, and to pretend otherwise is just plain willful ignorance.

I would argue, moreover, that it is the 2nd Amendment crowd that have done a far more extensive and successful job of politicizing this issue. Look no further than the grossly disproportionate influence of the NRA within the halls of Congress. If that is not politicizing the issue, I don't know what is.

Liberals arm their children with deadly weapons of mass destruction on a daily basis

WTF????

yet they scream about guns. Ask yourselves why. It has nothing to do with actual harm; these neck breathers don't honestly care about stopping actual harm.

I ask myself why, and I find your explanation totally wanting of even the whiff of a scintilla of even the most remotest insight.

If we want to have an honest discussion, can we be clear on the data we present?

For instance, in a nation with a high prevalence of firearms it is more likely that those firearms will be used by innocent people against someone attacking them. Can we remove those numbers from the chart above?

Also, in a nation with a high prevalence of firearms it is more likely that those firearms will be used in suicides. Can we remove those numbers from the chart above?

I'm more than happy to discuss the very real problems with America's gun culture, but I'm not going to do so along side stupid charts like this.

Suicides are never included in homicide rates. About half of the homicides are gang-related. And innocents protecting themselves against others contributes very very little. Fewer than 300 out of the 11000.

https://www.vpc.org/studies/justifiable.pdf

I wish there was some sort of final solution to this black problem. Got any ideas, Dutch?

if i where a clinton i would suggest a re-education camp.
if i was a obama i would give the enemies of the blacks(kkk or some other racist group) a nuke.

but i am neither, how can u chance a culture? is there a way to chance a culture. for example did not know if u saw but this clip of a black woman on youtube
search black mom black lives matter. anyway she speaks out against blacklivesmatter movement. and talks about black on black crime.

what u do next is go to her fb and see what kinda comments she gets from other black members. comments i cannot repeat here.
but to put it mildly she wa scalled an uncle tom.
she has a positive message to the whole community and the black community gets mad at her.

i wish i had a easy and quick solution, but the solution comes from within that community. parents should be there for their kids and give them a decent upbringing.

I'm more than happy to discuss the very real problems with America's gun culture, but I'm not going to do so alongside stupid charts like this.

EDIT: Forgot one. Police killing people (we're certainly not taking their guns away).

Do you think that, perhaps, we should be sure that police shootings, suicides, and self defense AREN'T considered in this graph?

Even if we can't come to a conclusion on that, we can come to the conclusion that because firearms aren't as prevalent in the non-US countries gun related homicides have gone down dramatically.

1 more stat: only 16% of Asian families are single parent families. they have a whole different culture! and seemingly the lowest crime rate in the US of A.

so there is more to this homicide/violent crime thing. sadly it is a race/culture thing. and we wont touch it cus it is "racist" and not PC

in the 90's there was a phase people blamed games, then music, then movies.
now we are at the blame mental health and guns phase!
when will we blame upbringing, broken families and culture?

Suicides are never included in homicide rates. About half of the homicides are gang-related. And innocents protecting themselves against others contributes very very little. Fewer than 300 out of the 11000.

*mic drop*, as the kids say.

don't engage him, dude. I stopped maybe half a year ago and it's probably the best decision I've ever made on Jazzfanz.

Do you think that, perhaps, we should be sure that police shootings, suicides, and self defense AREN'T considered in this graph?

Even if we can't come to a conclusion on that, we can come to the conclusion that because firearms aren't as prevalent in the non-US countries gun related homicides have gone down dramatically.

How much have homicides gone down in those countries? And is the lower homicide rate an indication that they've become less violent?

Of course gun homicides will decrease. If that goal outweighs all others then sure, the only solution is to change gun ownership laws in the U.S..

But of course, many people don't see that alone as the goal.

I read the chart originally as deaths by firearms. Which is how I've seen the numbers presented the majority of the time.

Does the chart compare the U.S. to other countries with the highest gun homicide rates? I don't know if it does or not, but I'm leaning towards no.