What's new

Sorry Jazz fans – Ben is the NBA Rookie of the Year

Is it considered "shooting" if you have to be within 5 feet of the hoop. Shouldn't it be tossing or dunking?
That's just one aspect. Simmons is a great passer, great rebounder and must shoot well enough to average what he did. How about the narrative that he knows his limitations and doesn't hurt the team by chucking up 3's.

Donovan may have set the rookie record for most threes and attempted. But he also SMASHED the record for most 3's missed. And that might be a record that stands for a long time.

Look, I love Donovan for everything he is. I think he's a mega star in the making. I hope he's with the Jazz his entire career and gets a statue. I was really hoping there would a be co-ROY this year. But if I had to pick who had the better season, I would go with Simmons in very, very close vote. Donovan was just too inefficient, IMO.

That's just one aspect. Simmons is a great passer, great rebounder and must shoot well enough to average what he did. How about the narrative that he knows his limitations and doesn't hurt the team by chucking up 3's.

Donovan may have set the rookie record for most threes and attempted. But he also SMASHED the record for most 3's missed. And that might be a record that stands for a long time.

Look, I love Donovan for everything he is. I think he's a mega star in the making. I hope he's with the Jazz his entire career and gets a statue. I was really hoping there would a be co-ROY this year. But if I had to pick who had the better season, I would go with Simmons in very, very close vote. Donovan was just too inefficient, IMO.
I don't care. DM was the #1 option for the Jazz for most of the season as a rookie. I would expect the #1 option to have more difficult shots and as a result, to be less efficient than, say a 4rd option that doesn't have the whole defensive game plan geared to stopping you. Simmons had Embiid, Redick, Saric that all scored more than him this year.

I still think DM's season was more impressive. It's most difficult to be "the man", period.

Yes, it is nice that Simmons knows his weaknesses and so doesn't try. It's also bad in that he won't improve on them if he doesn't try.

That’s ridiculous to expect a rookie who is the main scoring option and scores from anywhere on the court to be anywhere close to efficient in any way. Remember how inefficient Hayward was when he became our #1 option. DM is a rookie will increase his %’s and ft attempts and shot selection. Most of Simmons shots were layups, and no outside shots. As a 6-10 pg he should accidentally get 5 rebounds a game, and a little effort gets you 3 more, and seeing as his only means of scoring is layups, getting assists was his only option.

The jazz needed Mitchell to jack up shots, and he was a rookie, there’s no way you will convince me that Simmons had a better year, and if you couldn’t see that, you don’t know basketball.

IDIOT!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"How about the narrative that he knows his limitations and doesn't hurt the team by chucking up 3's."

I think this is the main reason DM is going to be better than BS. Ben accepts his limitations, and plays within them. Donovan has pushed himself to address his limitations. Who do you think will be a better shooter 3 years from now? The guy who is afraid to take a shot? The one who KNOWS he will miss. Or the guy who is fearless? The one who knows that even though he missed the last shot, the next one is going in.

This talk of DM taking too many threes is nonsense. He was being told to keep shooting. By his coach, and by his teammates. His willingness to take those shots is what helped open the offense and get better shots for everyone. This was year one. He will improve his %s and his shot selection. If he was being told to reel it in, it would be different. If coach was sitting him down because he was playing outside of the offense, then I would be worried about him being a chucker. However, that's not the case.

Ben had a great regular season and deserved the ROY award. But DM deserved it too. I like the fact that they both got recognized. One by the players, and one by the media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: