What's new

Source: Utah is Negotiating with Brewer

Where do you get the Sloan preferred Brewer. Sure, at the beginning of the year, before Matthews showed what he could do. Then, after that, the Jazz traded Brewer.

Well, in terms of talent, yes we traded him for something that may turned out to be nothing. But may turn out to be a lottery pick too. We will have to see about that. What's certain though is that that trade in the worst case scenario saved the Jazz 8-10 mil or so. This is a lot of money when you are strapped on cash. Saving that money, possibly getting a draft pick, and then still keeping Brewer by resigning him now, would be completion of an absolutely masterful job KOC did on Memphis.

Masterful job? 8-10 Million? Umm Brewer made like 2 M last year even with tax that 4 M. They traded him because they did not need him because a rookie made him obsolete and unneeded. Getting him back now is proof that they made a mistake in not keeping letting him keep the starters job and then trading him now while signing Mathews to a multi year deal at far less than he is currently getting offered.

They are basically now taking the lesser player because they are starting to panic and feel that they have to come out of this with something. It's the wrong move all the way around.

God I hate this franchise sometimes. WTF do we want Brewer. I get Mathews cost too much but why do we want Brewer back. We don't need a bunch of wings that can't shoot, don't play man to man defense and hurt our offense like Brewer does.

I will have lost all respect for this FO if they decide that trading Brewer was a mistake just because Mathews is getting seriously overpaid.

Brewer is not the answer. He's not a starting quality wing player. And he's a huge liability on BOTH ends of the floor. They should have went after Childress (too late now). They could still go after quite a few other players with their TPE's.

Signing Brewer is basically giving up on getting a real starting quality wing.

Arrgh I hope Chicago signs him.

This is the kind of post that I hate here.
If you are going to go off like that, HOW ABOUT STATING A BETTER ALTERNATIVE.
So what real starting quality wing do you know of that the jazz can get at a decent price?

If Utah signs Brewer over Matthews in an attempt to keep costs down it will only reinforce what we all know. Utah will never win a championship. They are too cheap to do what is required to get to the top.

In every way Matthews outplays Brewer. There is a reason we let Brewer go and held onto Matthews.

He's like the girl that you broke up with but you still catch yourself wanting to talk to her when you're drunk. Or am I the only one that does that?

Hayward will get his minutes. It's only a matter of time before AK will go down and will be out for months. The problem is, when that does happen, we will need someone in addition to Hayward and CJ off the wing. That's where Brew comes in.

Holy hell. Just play Price then. He brings everything Brewer does to the game with more as well.

Price shoots better than Brewer, Defends better than Brewer, and can be used in the same role as Brewer at less cost. Hell the only advantage of Brewer over Price is a little bit of height. But with Prices jumping ability it's negligible. Price brings more to the table than Brewer. He plays with toughness, actually tries to guard his own man while also knowing when to double and attack passing lanes.

I don't love undersized player's at SG but I would rather Price as a backup SG to Brewer.

This is the kind of post that I hate here.
If you are going to go off like that, HOW ABOUT STATING A BETTER ALTERNATIVE.
So what real starting quality wing do you know of that the jazz can get at a decent price?

I mentioned Childress. With the TPE's that they have they could get any available wing in the league. Signing Brewer is lazy and cheap. I'm not the freaking GM but why work to get the TPE's and then just sign your trash from the previous year?

I wish there were better options. Well, there are, but I don't know if Jazz have balls to take a chance and get someone like Jefferson for instance. Armed with just midlevel exception and having the least desirable FA destination to offer, Brewer might be just what the doctor ordered for the Jazz.

**** Jefferson. Go out and get Roger Mason, Jr. He at least can hit a three and won't cost an arm, let alone an arm and a leg.

We only need a 3rd or 4th wing option anyway. That is unless we want to ruin everything we've developed in Miles or try the whole AK to the bench debacle again.

Are you guys talking about Corey Brewer? ...Is there another Brewer even in this league?

Masterful job? 8-10 Million? Umm Brewer made like 2 M last year even with tax that 4 M.

I think the number saved last year was 5 or so, plus as I said in the worst case scenario if we do not get Memphis pick, we get 3 more mil. So, even if your numbers are right, KOC saved 7 mil to the Jazz bottom line at worst. Not bad right, especially, if we end up not giving anything up for it (i.e. keeping Brew)? What would be better though is saving these 5 mil, getting a lottery pick, and not giving anything up for it (i.e. keeping Brew). That's still very possible. Next step though would be to get the asset we gave up back by signing Brew.

brewers-mascot.jpg

Holy hell. Just play Price then. He brings everything Brewer does to the game with more as well.

Price shoots better than Brewer, Defends better than Brewer, and can be used in the same role as Brewer at less cost. Hell the only advantage of Brewer over Price is a little bit of height. But with Prices jumping ability it's negligible. Price brings more to the table than Brewer. He plays with toughness, actually tries to guard his own man while also knowing when to double and attack passing lanes.

I don't love undersized player's at SG but I would rather Price as a backup SG to Brewer.

You've got to be kidding me. Not only is he severely undersized, but his career averages are 3.6 ppg on sub 40% shooting. In play-offs he shot 29% en route to 2.2 ppg. In contrast Brew scored 10.3 in his career on 52.3% shooting, and 7.7 ppg in play-offs on 49% shooting. How can you even suggest that Price is half a player Brewer is. Price is a 3d string PG, nothing more. Brew is at worst a very good back-up wing. And that's exactly what we need after Korver and Wes departure.

I think we're being unnecessarily harsh on Brewer. Yeah he wasn't an all star, but I think we really missed his finishing at the basket last year after the trade. And although I have a man-crush on Matthews, his production is not the difference between the Jazz contending next year, it's more likely the difference between the 6th seed or the 7th seed.

If anyone can look at the roster with Matthews vs. with Brewer and see a large difference in the win column, then you have overestimated Matthew's impact.

If we get Brew back at a good price, it is a great move. Not only did we save money last year, his value has clearly gone down given the injury and Memphis moving on. IMO, the primary reason for trading him was that his agent had an asking price that was way to high and we knew we were not going to pay that much so why not get a draft pick, particularly with Wes in the fold at the time. If Brew comes cheap, I am not sure they wouldn't resign Ronnie even if they are going to resign Wes.

You've got to be kidding me. Not only is he severely undersized, but his career averages are 3.6 ppg on sub 40% shooting. In play-offs he shot 29% en route to 2.2 ppg. In contrast Brew scored 10.3 in his career on 52.3% shooting, and 7.7 ppg in play-offs on 49% shooting. How can you even suggest that Price is half a player Brewer is. Price is a 3d string PG, nothing more. Brew is at worst a very good back-up wing. And that's exactly what we need after Korver and Wes departure.

Brewer is not a very good back-up wing. He would be a very good back up PF if he was 3 inches taller. But as a wing he is worthless. I stand by my statement. I would rather have Price as 3rd string SG than Brewer as the starter. And ****ing Sloan will start his sorry *** if he is here.