What's new

Source: Utah is Negotiating with Brewer

Borat

https://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/12/griz-add-defensive-stopper-to-roster/

Looks like Memphis signed Tony Allen, and will not be pursuing Brewer, and Utah and Chicago are negotiating with Ronnie right now. Let's face it, we will probably (hopefully) let Wes go as offer of 7 mil a year for 5 years is just too high to the point even his agent admitted he got overpaid. Besides, when both Brew and Wes were here, Sloan preferred Brew, gave him more minutes, and actually played Wes just 10 mins off the bench in a game that proceeded Brewer's trade. If we can sign him to a reasonable deal (perhaps 4 per year) that wouldn't be the worst option. Of course I am still hopeful we can get a player via trade of star potential (like Jefferson perhaps), but as far as midlevel exception is concerned, Brew may not be a bad option. Plus it would beautifully complete KOC's rape of Memphis' GM from a year ago.

If you were Brewer and you wanted to win, you would have to go with the Bulls.
As a Jazz fan, I would hope Deron, minutes, and playing a lot for Jerry would bring him back if we aren't going to resign Matthews.

If Memphis wouldn't even offer Ronnie 3 mil a year, I would suspect we we shouldn't give him any more than that.

If you were Brewer and you wanted to win, you would have to go with the Bulls.

Maybe. But we do have familiarity factor going for us, Brew did play 4 years here, he seems to get a lot of respect from Sloan. If we have a good chance at any FA, it would have to be Brewer.

I think I'd rather have Matthews at a laughable 7m a year than Brewer in the starting lineup at any price.

I think I'd rather have Matthews at a laughable 7m a year than Brewer in the starting lineup at any price.

That's the question of the week. How much are we willing to give Matthews vs going with Brewer for less, but getting less.

Dude, if Brewer comes back to the Jazz, I don't know what to say.....****ing seriously.

God I hate this franchise sometimes. WTF do we want Brewer. I get Mathews cost too much but why do we want Brewer back. We don't need a bunch of wings that can't shoot, don't play man to man defense and hurt our offense like Brewer does.

I will have lost all respect for this FO if they decide that trading Brewer was a mistake just because Mathews is getting seriously overpaid.

Brewer is not the answer. He's not a starting quality wing player. And he's a huge liability on BOTH ends of the floor. They should have went after Childress (too late now). They could still go after quite a few other players with their TPE's.

Signing Brewer is basically giving up on getting a real starting quality wing.

Arrgh I hope Chicago signs him.

Dude, if Brewer comes back to the Jazz, I don't know what to say.....****ing seriously.

I wish there were better options. Well, there are, but I don't know if Jazz have balls to take a chance and get someone like Jefferson for instance. Armed with just midlevel exception and having the least desirable FA destination to offer, Brewer might be just what the doctor ordered for the Jazz.

Maybe. But we do have familiarity factor going for us, Brew did play 4 years here, he seems to get a lot of respect from Sloan. If we have a good chance at any FA, it would have to be Brewer.

We also traded him for practically nothing. I hope to god that is what he remembers when he makes his decision. On second thought I hope that it does not come down to Brewer making the decision and that the Jazz wake up and don't panic and don't actually offer him anything.

God I hate this franchise sometimes. WTF do we want Brewer. I get Mathews cost too much but why do we want Brewer back. We don't need a bunch of wings that can't shoot, don't play man to man defense and hurt our offense like Brewer does.

I will have lost all respect for this FO if they decide that trading Brewer was a mistake just because Mathews is getting seriously overpaid.

Brewer is not the answer. He's not a starting quality wing player. And he's a huge liability on BOTH ends of the floor. They should have went after Childress (too late now). They could still go after quite a few other players with their TPE's.

Signing Brewer is basically giving up on getting a real starting quality wing.

Arrgh I hope Chicago signs him.

We already have starting quality wings. AK and CJ. We have the starter of the future up and coming, whom we drafted with 9th overall pick. Now we need a good solid player to come off the bench and fill in as a key player in case of injury. Sloan clearly preferred Brewer to Wes last year. So, it's really not that bad to have a guy like Brewer on the bench. Especially with AK surely leaving next year or maybe even before trade deadline this year.

Kinda funny that some of the ones bitchin that Matthews should not be "paid too much" seem to be the same ones insisting that the Jazz take all necessary steps to WIN NOW, irrespective of cost, aint it?

I wish there were better options. Well, there are, but I don't know if Jazz have balls to take a chance and get someone like Jefferson for instance. Armed with just midlevel exception and having the least desirable FA destination to offer, Brewer might be just what the doctor ordered for the Jazz.

THEY HAVE THE TPE'S. The mid level is far from their only asset. If they use one of their TPE's for Brewer.....God that's too ****ing stupid to think about.

We already have starting quality wings. AK and CJ. We have the starter of the future up and coming, whom we drafted with 9th overall pick. Now we need a good solid player to come off the bench and fill in as a key player in case of injury. Sloan clearly preferred Brewer to Wes last year. So, it's really not that bad to have a guy like Brewer on the bench. Especially with AK surely leaving next year or maybe even before trade deadline this year.

Brewer is a worthless player to this team. Frankly I don't know why anybody in the NBA would want a player at his size that can't shoot a lick. But I don't want him on the Jazz at any cost. He could volunteer to play for free and I would want the Jazz to say no thanks.

I don't want Pillow Forts back, but just to set things straight, if Ronnie DID resign with Utah, I would argue that the rest of the league would call this another one of KOC's "brilliant" moves.

Think about it: We loaned Memphis Ronnie for half a season (and he only played a few games before getting injured) and we receive a (likely, eventually) 1st round draft pick and can just pick Ronnie right back up? Gangbusters!!

We also traded him for practically nothing. I hope to god that is what he remembers when he makes his decision. On second thought I hope that it does not come down to Brewer making the decision and that the Jazz wake up and don't panic and don't actually offer him anything.

Well, in terms of talent, yes we traded him for something that may turned out to be nothing. But may turn out to be a lottery pick too. We will have to see about that. What's certain though is that that trade in the worst case scenario saved the Jazz 8-10 mil or so. This is a lot of money when you are strapped on cash. Saving that money, possibly getting a draft pick, and then still keeping Brewer by resigning him now, would be completion of an absolutely masterful job KOC did on Memphis.

Give those minutes to Hayward.

Hayward will get his minutes. It's only a matter of time before AK will go down and will be out for months. The problem is, when that does happen, we will need someone in addition to Hayward and CJ off the wing. That's where Brew comes in.