What's new

Sources: Bobby Portis significantly interested in Utah

How much do you pay Green + Ed Davis and how much of Favors’ production are they replacing?

I think he’s a really good option... I think he gets anywhere from 7-10M but I think a 3/24 on day one of free agency plus a starting spot and his old running mate would be really attractive.

I think Ed Davis can be had for the full room exception of 2 years and 4.8M per year. His defensive splits are so good... I’m not sure how good a defender he is or if Allen is just completely terrible but I think he can be good enough when Rudy is off... he’s just such a mother effer to box out.

You’d then have another 7-10M to address the wing or get another smallball 4 option. I think you see what king of wing that gets you and try to sign Tolliver or Jonas or someone like that on a vet minimum. I think we can rely on Niang and Royce to provide some stretch minutes but wouldn’t want to have an injury and now you are thin.

Is it? Could you layout the scenario because I don’t see how.
Conley Trade with Rubio S&T (potentially with a third team)
Mike Conley's 2019/20 salary: $32,511,623
Jazz salary required in trade: (Conley's Salary - $100k)*.8 = $25,929,298.40

Korver: $7,500,000
Crowder: $7,815,533
Allen: $2,429,400

Rubio minimum starting salary for S&T: $8,184,365.40

S&T for Tobias Harris
Projected 2019/20 salary cap: $109mil
Max starting salary for player with 7-9 years experience: $109mil*.3 = $32.7mil

Minimum outgoing salary to acquire 7-9 year max player: ($32.7mil - $100k)*.8 = $26.08mil
Favors + Exum: $16.9mil + $9.6mil = $26.5mil (just enough!!)

In this scenario, the Jazz retain the Full MLE, starting at ~$9.2mil, and the BAE, starting at ~$3.6mil to sign a PF/C and a PG.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the current CBA, so maybe something's wrong here.

Conley Trade with Rubio S&T
Mike Conley's 2019/20 salary: $32,511,623
Jazz salary required in trade: (Conley's Salary - $100k)*.8 = $25,929,298.40

Korver: $7,500,000
Crowder: $7,815,533
Allen: $2,429,400

Rubio minimum starting salary for S&T: $8,184,365.40

S&T for Tobias Harris
Projected 2019/20 salary cap: $109mil
Max starting salary for player with 7-9 years experience: $109mil*.3 = $32.7mil

Minimum outgoing salary to acquire 7-9 year max player: ($32.7mil - $100k)*.8 = $26.08mil
Favors + Exum: $16.9mil + $9.6mil = $26.5mil (just enough!!)

In this scenario, the Jazz retain the Full MLE, starting at ~$9.2mil, and the BAE, starting at ~$3.6mil to sign a PF/C and a PG.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the current CBA, so maybe something's wrong here.
Where would Rubio go in this scenario, though? Memphis isn’t going to want him, so you’d have to make this a trade involving other teams simultaneously. But I believe his outgoing salary in that scenario would still count for salary matching/incoming salary. Getting all parties on board would be really tricky, especially since it would have to come together rather fast.

The salaries for Harris work in that scenario, but that would almost certainly have to require another team as well since I absolutely cannot see the Sixers wanting Exum.

TLDR; it appears to be technically possible. Thanks.

Where would Rubio go in this scenario, though? Memphis isn’t going to want him, so you’d have to make this a trade involving other teams simultaneously. But I believe his outgoing salary in that scenario would still count for salary matching/incoming salary. Getting all parties on board would be really tricky, especially since it would have to come together rather fast.

The salaries for Harris work in that scenario, but that would almost certainly have to require another team as well since I absolutely cannot see the Sixers wanting Exum.

TLDR; it appears to be technically possible. Thanks.
Absolutely. This requires a team that can absorb Rubio and/or has a piece Memphis wants, and a team that wants Exum (if not Philly).

I didn't get involved in the in-season conversations about whether it was better to make a trade in-season or wait for free agency, but I thought it was pretty obvious that the Jazz should try to cash in their chips in-season to retain the full MLE and take advantage of Rubio's expiring contract. As another poster has pointed out, Memphis didn't want to pull the trigger earlier (for whatever package the Jazz were offering), but maybe the Jazz should have offered more. A missed opportunity, maybe.

If Portis's contract number starts to slip back down to around $10million/year, then I'll start to care. If the numbers play out like I'm expecting, then I'd rather have JaMycal Green.