What's new

Strange post-game statements from Sloan and KOC

This looks like a player disciplinary (suspension) action to me. I don't think KOC could fire Sloan and I don't think Sloan would have a heated meeting with KOC to tell him that he's retiring. No, this is "I told that sonofabitch to run this play and instead he broke it off, again. Either him or me!"

Agree, this is mirroring the Arroyo incident.

You don't can a guy who has coached for 23 years. You pressure him privately to resign due to health reasons.

Last edited:
If a trade is going down, then it is a bit shocking that there is nothing happening in the rumor mill.

If a trade is going down, then it is a bit shocking that there is nothing happening in the rumor mill.

Not necessarily. While Korver was a name that was mentioned by Jazzfanz on numerous occasions, I never read anything in the external rumor mongering that he was a Jazz target until the day of the trade. Jefferson's name only came up on the day of the deal.

Is there video of Sloan's postgame press conference? They used to have the postgames on nba.com -- but no more, it seems to me.

Why does everyone think a trade is going to happen?

KOC and Sloan probably just aired out some grievances. Possibly about certain players not getting expected playing time such as Evans. Trib getting excited over nothing as usual. This meeting would probably not have taken place had the Jazz won.

Chill guys.

Why does everyone think a trade is going to happen?

KOC and Sloan probably just aired out some grievances. Possibly about certain players not getting expected playing time such as Evans. Trib getting excited over nothing as usual. This meeting would probably not have taken place had the Jazz won.

Chill guys.

Yeah, might be. If its just grievances, then thats healthy. Someone needs to hold Sloan accountable.

The only other theory I can think of was a deal of some kind was happening behind the scenes in real time during the game. KOC would then have had to get word to Jerry to take somebody out as a precaution. Jerry being Jerry might have defied the order on principle.

I get canceling practice if a deal is going down. I don't get it if the reason is injuries. There is no amount of film that wouldn't help this team, offense and defense. Unless guys' eyes are sprained they can show up, get physical treatment, then go sit in a room and suffer through what I've suffered through 54 times this year.

The only other theory I can think of was a deal of some kind was happening behind the scenes in real time during the game. KOC would then have had to get word to Jerry to take somebody out as a precaution. Jerry being Jerry might have defied the order on principle.

interesting theory. repppp'd for creative thought.

EDIT: damn, I've given you rep too recently.

I don't think that's the case because the rule is that teams aren't allowed to dress players about to be involved in a trade. Once Jerry signs off on the lineup card - it's a done deal and those 12 players are Utah's for 48 minutes. I doubt Sloan defied orders because in the past the Jazz have held players out of games who were about to be - but hadn't yet - been traded.
Sloan said afterward that Utah wasn't looking to trade anyone - I think there was just alot of frustration after that loss and KOC and Sloan got into it a little. The Jazz were already banged up so they probably decided to cancel practice to let everyone simmer down.

Yep. I have a feeling everyone will be dispointed in whatever (nothing) comes out of this.

Same, which is part of my ongoing depression. It will just fart out and become a dark cloud hanging over everyone with no major change taking place.