What's new

Strange post-game statements from Sloan and KOC

I don't think that's the case because the rule is that teams aren't allowed to dress players about to be involved in a trade. Once Jerry signs off on the lineup card - it's a done deal and those 12 players are Utah's for 48 minutes. I doubt Sloan defied orders because in the past the Jazz have held players out of games who were about to be - but hadn't yet - been traded.
Sloan said afterward that Utah wasn't looking to trade anyone - I think there was just alot of frustration after that loss and KOC and Sloan got into it a little. The Jazz were already banged up so they probably decided to cancel practice to let everyone simmer down.

I'm talking about a fluid situation during the game. For example, KOC getting a call at halftime that a simmering deal just got real. If he thought he had a trade he was absolutely going to pull the trigger on, he's not going to want to see a key component of it get hurt. I don't think this is likely, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why words would even be exchanged between Jerry and KOC.

Whatever it was will just simmer and they'll deal with it in the offseason so that no one can draw a connection between whatever happens and a random February loss that happened months ago. I think it's pretty clear that they're adamant about not releasing any information about whatever heated locker room exchange occurred.

Personally (since there's some potential AK was involved in the discussion) I hope there was a revelation about who AK has been using the free pass on. Is KOC married?

I don't think this is likely, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why words would even be exchanged between Jerry and KOC.

If I had to guess, I'd assume O'Connor became pertubed watching Fes (after 11 pts and 7 reb in Sacramento) sit on the bench during the 2nd-half while 7-footer Omar Asik destroyed the smaller Al/AK frontline on the offensive glass. In a span of 4 minutes in the 3rd qtr, Asik drew Millsap's 3rd and 4th fouls and grabbed 4 offensive rebounds - 4 2nd-chance opportunites that resulted in 2 shooting fouls and a Derek Rose basket. Taj Gibson also had a dunk off 2nd-chance points against Utah's small frontline. Then with 40 seconds remaining Sloan replaced Bell with Price (instead of the SG O'Connor spent the 9th pick of the draft on) - only to watch Price brick an open 3 at the qtr buzzer.

I think the continued buildup of little things like that - in a regular season game O'Connor likely wanted to win more than anything (to beat the team comprosed of the 3 players he let go) and when Chicago was playing so poorly as well, likely sent him off. Like I've said, it's not uncommon to see KOC out of his seat cheering but last night you could tell he wanted that win bad.

"John Deere"

images

"What Jerry Sloan will be riding into the sunset"

Thanks for your loyalty and hard work as a coach and your contribution to the game. You made us proud to be Jazz fans. Class act.

180 people online two hours after the game. Most aren't here to discuss the last Fes foul. Might as well keep the topic somewhat contained in a single place. ;)

Wow. I'm udderly shocked and completely amazed.

It's like Bush saying we are on purple terror alert. Nobody really knows what that means, but it's kinda scary.

It really means nothing until whatever Deron decides when running the show. It will be AWESOME to have Deron as the sole reason for our tryumps/////

Ah hell, who am I kidding. Deron now takes the fall. Looking forward to his lame excuses.

This may be overreacting, but I don't think it's to early for Deron to trade himself to New York.

The sky has fallen.:(

I hope Deron gets his way, and if not, I hope he can coach us the a title. (bwahaahaaha)

There's no way in hell the Jazz fire Jerry. No way.

Dudes, its not Sloan. Didn't he just sign the extension?? It just doesn't make sense

Right after he signed a 1 year extension? Would he really step down after that?

No way Sloan gets canned.

Don't get excited people, nothing is happening. Making a major decision right after an emotional game is not the "Jazz" way, as it shouldn't be.

Prophetic!

This looks like a player disciplinary (suspension) action to me. I don't think KOC could fire Sloan and I don't think Sloan would have a heated meeting with KOC to tell him that he's retiring. No, this is "I told that sonofabitch to run this play and instead he broke it off, again. Either him or me!"
Ding!Ding!Ding! We have a winner!

ESPN said:
Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Sloan reacted angrily during Wednesday night's home loss when guard Deron Williams called his own play on the floor different from the play Sloan called from the sideline.

That led to an emotional dispute at halftime, sources said, which was followed by Sloan's closed-door meeting with O'Connor after the game.

But one source stressed that the play-calling flap was just one incident among a number of flare-ups in recent weeks, indicating Sloan's relationship with Williams has been deteriorating.

Link to source