What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

I'm wired like this to the T.
You show up to work an hour early and just chill waiting until it's actually tome to start working.

I wouldn't think it was weird of they showed up early and started working, but they just take a pre-work break in the brakeroom.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

You show up to work an hour early and just chill waiting until it's actually tome to start working.

I wouldn't think it was weird of they showed up early and started working, but they just take a pre-work break in the brakeroom.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

For the better part of a decade, I've had outside territory positions for work. I have only had one job that was 8-4 and required me to go in every day and I showed up about 40 minutes to an hour early for that one pretty much every day. I am OCD about being punctual and show up to everything early. I hate traffic like no other and if I'm going anywhere where there could potentially be traffic I beat it (the traffic lol) so I don't have to wait in it and I can be on time. I can find other things to do in the morning to start my day too, so it's really not that weird to me.

For the better part of a decade, I've had outside territory positions for work. I have only had one job that was 8-4 and required me to go in every day and I showed up about 40 minutes to an hour early for that one pretty much every day. I am OCD about being punctual and show up to everything early. I hate traffic like no other and if I'm going anywhere where there could potentially be traffic I beat it (the traffic lol) so I don't have to wait in it and I can be on time. I can find other things to do in the morning to start my day too, so it's really not that weird to me.

I'm OCD in timing things and constantly comparing current times to previous times. Like, I usually hit this light at 1:46, today I'm hitting it at 1:47, then I try to get to the next checkpoint faster than normal. I probably walk through the door at work within' 40s of my average time every day.

I just don't understand giving away precious free time like that. I get that some people have coffee or a snack or whatever and relax before work. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I just think it's really silly to worry about being late so you get to work 40min early. I get to work 10min early every day. I don't wait to clock in, I just start working when I get there, because when I get to work I've got me "workface" on and I keep it on until the exact second I'm allowed to leave arrives and I leave like every extra second I'm there I'm underwater and can't breathe. That's just me, though and people notice that I leave the second I'm allowed to leave. I actually know, to the second, how long it takes me to walk from the shop I work in to the time clocks. If someone is in the middle of telling me a story or whatever, I basically cut them off and tell them I'm leaving now, and then I leave.

I have the flipside at work. We are contractually obligated to be in the building before 7:45am. Many of us show up at 7am or before to photocopy, grade, get **** done. And yet there are others, they call themselves adults, without children mind you, who can't manage to show up on time. One person lives 15 minutes away and I used to live by her. And I was never late. Another lives a half mile from me now. We're about 30 minutes from school. I've never been late in the seven years I've lived here except once during awful snow and driving conditions that took me two hours to get in. Anyway, these people complain when they're called in by the principal for being late. Like 20, 30, 40x a year. They get legitimately upset about it. And still somehow think they're adults.

We have an occurrence policy at work, they call it a "no-fault" occurrence policy, but it's really an "it's always your fault" occurrence policy. Being late by 1s is 1/2 an occurrence, calling in is 1 occurrence. Once you hit 6 occurrences in a rolling 12 month window you're fired, no questions asked. The one and only exception is if you have a doctor's note saying you have a contagious illness. Just a plain doctor's with no contagious illness means that consecutive absences only cost you one occurrence.

So there's reason to be a little worried if you're late regularly, but I guarantee you the guys there an hour early probably have an average of 1/2 to 1 occurrence one the books, if that.

We have an occurrence policy at work, they call it a "no-fault" occurrence policy, but it's really an "it's always your fault" occurrence policy. Being late by 1s is 1/2 an occurrence, calling in is 1 occurrence. Once you hit 6 occurrences in a rolling 12 month window you're fired, no questions asked. The one and only exception is if you have a doctor's note saying you have a contagious illness. Just a plain doctor's with no contagious illness means that consecutive absences only cost you one occurrence.

So there's reason to be a little worried if you're late regularly, but I guarantee you the guys there an hour early probably have an average of 1/2 to 1 occurrence one the books, if that.

That's a horrible policy, but production in this country and the entire world is cutthroat. I don't know if I'd call that OCD in a negative sense though. You're the type who goes to great lengths when you get a hobby. People like me envy people like you who can have a long lasting hobby. I simply don't and it makes life boring at times.

As far as 10 minutes early goes, that's my basic policy for anything. My wife OTOH can't seem to get anywhere or back in time. She has zero sense of what time it is. We used to fight like crazy every time we had to check out of a hotel at 11:00 a.m. I would clean all her and my 3 kids **** up, load it up, and get all the kids ready, and she can never get her *** out the door before checkout time. So, in order to maintain the peace, I started quietly getting everything done as usual, and instead of nagging her to get out the damn door I would sit on the bed and watch CNBC. If you know women you know what happened when I switched to that: "why the hell aren't you helping me get us out of the room". Me: "I already did everything except get you ready".

Women, official pet peeve.

Do people get **** if they're out say 2-3 days with a doctor's note? They may not get an occurrence but it still looks bad, type of ****?

I'm OCD in timing things and constantly comparing current times to previous times. Like, I usually hit this light at 1:46, today I'm hitting it at 1:47, then I try to get to the next checkpoint faster than normal. I probably walk through the door at work within' 40s of my average time every day.

I just don't understand giving away precious free time like that. I get that some people have coffee or a snack or whatever and relax before work. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I just think it's really silly to worry about being late so you get to work 40min early. I get to work 10min early every day. I don't wait to clock in, I just start working when I get there, because when I get to work I've got me "workface" on and I keep it on until the exact second I'm allowed to leave arrives and I leave like every extra second I'm there I'm underwater and can't breathe. That's just me, though and people notice that I leave the second I'm allowed to leave. I actually know, to the second, how long it takes me to walk from the shop I work in to the time clocks. If someone is in the middle of telling me a story or whatever, I basically cut them off and tell them I'm leaving now, and then I leave.

Are you my dad? He's pretty OSDC about timing stuff as well. He usually calls before coming over and will tell me to the minute what time he will arrive.

I hate it when people take what you just said, reword it, add some snappy hand gestures or get all boisterous, then turn around and give it right back to everyone in the group as if they just had the greatest idea in the world. I also hate those people who cannot see what is going on. Happened with my new boss, but at least 2 of the people in the room turned to me and basically said "isn't that what you just said?" so they get it. Others were just like "wow what a great idea". Yeah **** that.

I hate it when people take what you just said, reword it, add some snappy hand gestures or get all boisterous, then turn around and give it right back to everyone in the group as if they just had the greatest idea in the world.

This is my dad to a tee. He's one of those that's what I was just about to say types and it pairs well with his tendency of always having to tell people how to do things like where exactly to park our camp trailers during family reunions. The dude still tells me that I need to empty the drier vent and other dumb stuff. We all shake our heads.

Are you my dad? He's pretty OSDC about timing stuff as well. He usually calls before coming over and will tell me to the minute what time he will arrive.

That's a helluva lot better than calling you telling you that you're coming over right away and then not showing up for an hour and a half because you have 20 other OCD things you need to do along the route.

My dad's a character.

People who pronounce the word BANAL as "bah - NAHL" with the accent on the second syllable.

It's BAY-null - rhymes with AY-null - unless you pronounce it "ah-NAHL" (does ANYBODY pronounce it that way?)

and another one, female ginkgo trees, especially this time of year...

that smelly fruit is all over the ground, and you walk through it and your shoes smell like **** for hours afterwards

Do people get **** if they're out say 2-3 days with a doctor's note? They may not get an occurrence but it still looks bad, type of ****?

Not generally, but there is a small group of guys who talk **** about everyone all the time for everything. The worst offender criticized someone for taking a bereavement day boasting that he didn't take one when his own dad died of a heart attack. I was looking at him dumbfounded on that one.

Aperently in 'murica Moe is right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZXJ5ufq-4

Isn't she saying it should be bay-nal. Which is absolutely not the way I've heard anyone say it, ever.

I've never heard it said that way, either. And really, the only time I ever really hear anyone say it they are being a pompous jackass. And pompous jackasses usually say it ba-NAHL.

I listened again and she's saying "(American) bah-nal"

I listened again and she's saying "(American) bah-nal"

What I'm saying is that moe is arguing the correct pronunciation should be bay-nul, which rhymes with anal. That's not right.

But like you said, it's more of a word you'd hear on Frasier, than something anyone would use IRL.