What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

The above reminds me - when did we as a society decide that women are naturally ugly and cannot be seen without makeup? Women have been conditioned to admire other women who never leave their house without their "face" on. There are those who brag that even their husbands have never seen them without makeup (which causes me to think their marriages are bizarre). Those of us who have decided that our everyday faces are just fine for everyday endure comments like "you'd be so much prettier if you wore makeup," etc. So I have to make sure I don't look like myself to be acceptable to society? What a screwed up world we live in.

But yeah, don't put it on in the car, or at least wait until a red light.

The above reminds me - when did we as a society decide that women are naturally ugly and cannot be seen without makeup? Women have been conditioned to admire other women who never leave their house without their "face" on. There are those who brag that even their husbands have never seen them without makeup (which causes me to think their marriages are bizarre). Those of us who have decided that our everyday faces are just fine for everyday endure comments like "you'd be so much prettier if you wore makeup," etc. So I have to make sure I don't look like myself to be acceptable to society? What a screwed up world we live in.

I agree 100%. And I think women are at fault more than men for women feeling pressured to always look their best and wear makeup and have their hair done all the time.

I wish my wife would not wear makeup as much and I wish she would just not do her hair and wear her hat more often. I think she looks good no matter what and I hate always having to wait for her to get ready but she feels the need to look her best at all times when she leaves the house (kind of a keeping up with the joneses type thing I think) and is always concerned of what people (random strangers mostly) think about her. Even if we are just going camping or hiking.

Just last week we were camping and we decided to go to the lake and I got everything read to go (fishing gear, stuff for our dog and for our daughter, food, drinks, etc) and was waiting for her, like usual, and I look in the trailer and she is curling her eyelashes. To go fishing at the lake. Wtf.

I agree 100%. And I think women are at fault more than men for women feeling pressured to always look their best and wear makeup and have their hair done all the time.

I wish my wife would not wear makeup as much and I wish she would just not do her hair and wear her hat more often. I think she looks good no matter what and I hate always having to wait for her to get ready but she feels the need to look her best at all times when she leaves the house (kind of a keeping up with the joneses type thing I think) and is always concerned of what people (random strangers mostly) think about her. Even if we are just going camping or hiking.

Just last week we were camping and we decided to go to the lake and I got everything read to go (fishing gear, stuff for our dog and for our daughter, food, drinks, etc) and was waiting for her, like usual, and I look in the trailer and she is curling her eyelashes. To go fishing at the lake. Wtf.

First, fish, everyone knows curling your eyelashes reduces glare off the water. Duh.

Otherwise, iawtp. I have no idea how to do multi-quote or I would have quoted JG as well, but I think it is nearly 100% driven by other women. I have been married 26 years now and if you ask my wife when she has gotten the most compliments from me on how she looked on a given day it is nearly always on days with no makeup and nothing done to her hair other than maybe washing that day, and letting it go how it goes. I do not like lipstick, I do not like eye shadow, and I am not a fan of foundation or blush or any of that stuff generally. And I like her hair far more when it is natural (she has naturally wavy/almost curly hair that I find very attractive) than when she spend an hour and a half straightening it. There are definitely body image issues with many women, driven by our terribly misogynistic society, but also in large part imo, by other women.

Yeah i don't get it, I have a distinct preference for girls that don't wear make up or in general ain't that girlie (you know the type always wearing something pink. Mind you those kind of girls normally look at me like a cross between something they see in a zoo and something to be avoided in a dark alley. Which is probably a fair assessment...) Some blokes I know really go for that sort of crap the made up barbie doll but I just don't get it.

My wife goes without makeup way more often than she puts it on. Even when she wears it, it’s nothing more than eye shadow and lip gloss. Not only does it help my pocketbook, I think she’s beautiful no matter what. We’ve been together since high school, and she didn’t wear much back then either, so it’s not like she tricked me or anything.

I agree that women are the catalyst behind the fake appearance mindset. It is so sad that we think our face and bodies are so repulsive in a natural state. And we are so hard on other women for their looks, clothing, etc. There is a lot of self-hatred bred into women somehow.

Due to my health issues, I only wear makeup on very special occasions, and I wear my hair quite short even though it isn't all that flattering. I'm pretty happy if I am clean and dressed appropriately. Amazingly, my friends and family still like me. It isn't all about appearance after all. It's pretty freeing.

Oily health products my girlfriend buys me. I hate the stuff. Centaury oil, **** is disgusting.

I tell my wife all the time not to wear makeup, and she rarely does.

She does have occasions where she likes to wear it, just because it’s a part of dressing up. Just like how I don’t wear a suit to work in a tractor.

I tell my wife all the time not to wear makeup, and she rarely does.

She does have occasions where she likes to wear it, just because it’s a part of dressing up. Just like how I don’t wear a suit to work in a tractor.

Yeah but it’s not just that black and white. There are degrees. I don’t mind a little but when my wife starts going heavy on the lipstick, I’m like wtf???? Are we going to the circus?

images

When i see birds with too much make up on I always think what happened to baby Jane...

Yeah but it’s not just that black and white. There are degrees. I don’t mind a little but when my wife starts going heavy on the lipstick, I’m like wtf???? Are we going to the circus?

Oh for sure. I can’t stand that (no offense).

I was just saying not all women put makeup on because they feel pressure to, or because they think they need to, but sometimes it’s because they want to...and that’s ok.

My theory is that it's a relic of evolution. Many species compete for the strongest male, and much of that obviously includes competing with other females. Women are wired that way and it's hard to change your wiring no matter what the subject.

Many give this up after having children; job done, right? I think many of the trophy wife types keep up the appearance out of insecurity or a void (staring at 4 walls all day and also thinking they are not contributing because they don't earn money). Or insecurity that their mate will leave them for a better looking woman. Others do it because they enjoy looking good.

My theory is that it's a relic of evolution. Many species compete for the strongest male, and much of that obviously includes competing with other females. Women are wired that way and it's hard to change your wiring no matter what the subject.

If you really want to look from the viewpoint of evolution, females prefer to mates with a variety of males, the same female can have different standards at different times, and different females exhibit different preferences.

It's not like female chimpanzees or bonobos wear makeup. Using evolution to explain a behavior unique (among primates, anyhow) to humans is usually a gateway for confirmation bias.

If you really want to look from the viewpoint of evolution, females prefer to mates with a variety of males, the same female can have different standards at different times, and different females exhibit different preferences.

It's not like female chimpanzees or bonobos wear makeup. Using evolution to explain a behavior unique (among primates, anyhow) to humans is usually a gateway for confirmation bias.

You can't pigeonhole evolution this way.

Plus, evolutionary psychologists have plenty of studies on this.

And you are fully incorrect in implying that other female primates, or pretty much any species, do not put on a display of fertility. Dimorphism has many evolutionary reasons in the sense of mating but with increasingly higher intelligence that can take on multiple reasons over the course of life.

My new neighbours park their cars on my nature strip every ****ing day and night, me and my mate watered them heavily tonight after the pub tonight. I eagerly await a reaction.