What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

JazzGal

Contributor
I got no relief from Tramadol at all. It is a narcotic or very similar, but as I understand, it has been formulated in a way to reduce the incidence of physical dependency and minimize tolerance so it doesn't require increasing dosages the way regular narcotics do. It also means it doesn't work for everyone or for all pain, the way regular narcotics typically work for most everything.

I have found relief with gabapentin. I have permanent nerve damage in my right leg, actually the sensory part of the sciatic nerve is damaged so it sends constant signals like my leg is on fire, and I mean real strong pain sensations, but I have reduced or no sensation in the leg and all the way half-way up my torso. It is weird because it makes a clean straight line up my back and abdomen of sensation on the left and no sensation on the right, so weird. But gabapentin minimizes the burning sensations and helps calm the restless leg. I find it to be a god-send for me in that regard, and it has a minor effect on my upper neck and back pain from my surgeries which is a small bonus. I take a relatively high dose (600 mg 3x per day), but gabapentin can go much higher in dosage and has almost a linear affect on most symptoms it is treating. Cymbalta and lyrica are supposed to work somewhat similar to gabapentin I believe, but did nothing for me at all. But man am I glad I got on gabapentin. I really feel it when I run out, or even if I miss a dose.

Crazy the crap that can happen to our bodies over our lifetimes. And how fragile we really are. It is a good thing we developed a big brain because we can't even survive naked and afraid for 21 days in nature.
Gabapentin worked great for me, for about 6 months. Took away the facial nerve pain, essential tremors in my hands, burning in my feet. I just switched to Lyrica last week, and it isn't working as well as the Gabapentin worked initially. But we decided to try it due to some side effect issues I have with Gabapentin. I might have to just up the dosage if the Lyrica doesn't work better. Tramadol seems to help with all of my pain, which is why I'm tempted to just go with it instead of all the rest. Guess I'll see what my rheumatologist advises next week.

JazzGal

Contributor
Ugh, what condition do you have again? I know you’ve spoken about it some previously.

I wonder if I have some sort of nerve thing. When I wear tighter pants, it sets off my back pain. I’m realizing I need to buy a lot more dress pants about 1-2 inches bigger in the waist.
I have so many different issues at this point that it isn't worth listing. Let's just say that not much in my body works well. The one part of my body that never hurts is my elbow (unless I bang it on something).

Nerve pain is awful. Time to let comfort be your guide instead of fashion. Bring on the bigger pants!

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
I have so many different issues at this point that it isn't worth listing. Let's just say that not much in my body works well. The one part of my body that never hurts is my elbow (unless I bang it on something).

Nerve pain is awful. Time to let comfort be your guide instead of fashion. Bring on the bigger pants!
Waaaaaaaaay ahead of ya. I'm this close to a mumu.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I hate this as well but am I guilty as charged when I do this while listening to The Rewatchables podcast while going for a walk through my neighborhood? Like does a neighborhood count? And tbh, I rarely pass people. And doubt you can hear it if you are 20-25 feet away or more.

That does not count. You are good.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Sometimes I answer calls even when I know or at least expect it will be a scammer. Not often, but sometimes.

A lot of times when I do I answer "Hola!" rather than hello and then I use the other three Spanish words I know on repeat. The scammers typically hang up right away.

Well today I received my first ever scam call in Spanish! I could piece enough of it together to tell there was talk of court and the police.

TheGoldStandard

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
Sometimes I answer calls even when I know or at least expect it will be a scammer. Not often, but sometimes.

A lot of times when I do I answer "Hola!" rather than hello and then I use the other three Spanish words I know on repeat. The scammers typically hang up right away.

Well today I received my first ever scam call in Spanish! I could piece enough of it together to tell there was talk of court and the police.
Your nights of debauchery in Tijuana are finally catching up with you.

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Your nights of debauchery in Tijuana are finally catching up with you.
When I was 14 my family took a trip first to San Francisco then down the PCH, through TJ and to Ensenada. That is as much time as I've spent in TJ. When I lived in San Diego I never went at all. I was over 21 when I started living there and saw TJ as a place for 18-20 year olds to go and drink.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Someone might have already said this, but I cannot stand the phrase "out of pocket".

"Jim won't be in the meeting, he is out of pocket today."

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? Why not just say "unavailable", or "out today", or just "out"?

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Someone might have already said this, but I cannot stand the phrase "out of pocket".

"Jim won't be in the meeting, he is out of pocket today."

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? Why not just say "unavailable", or "out today", or just "out"?
I haven’t really heard it used that way. I get it when you’re talking about how much money insurance or whatever is going to pay and how much you’ll be left paying “out of pocket” but to describe a person out for the day? Yeah that’s annoying.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
I haven’t really heard it used that way. I get it when you’re talking about how much money insurance or whatever is going to pay and how much you’ll be left paying “out of pocket” but to describe a person out for the day? Yeah that’s annoying.
Yeah it is a thing in business circles for whatever reason. Irritating AF.