What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

I have a lot of joint and nerve pain. At the beginning, I was given tramadol to take with Tylenol. And it worked pretty well. But then the powers that be decided that tramadol was a narcotic. After a year of being on it with no issues, no evidence of addiction, I suddenly felt like a druggie looking for a fix. So I have tried other prescriptions to help (Cymbalta, Gabapentin, Lyrica) which are not nearly as helpful and have more side effects for me. I'm going to have a serious discussion with my doctor about going back to tramadol and getting off these other pills. Can't wait to see how that works out.

Ugh, what condition do you have again? I know you’ve spoken about it some previously.

I wonder if I have some sort of nerve thing. When I wear tighter pants, it sets off my back pain. I’m realizing I need to buy a lot more dress pants about 1-2 inches bigger in the waist.

I have a lot of joint and nerve pain. At the beginning, I was given tramadol to take with Tylenol. And it worked pretty well. But then the powers that be decided that tramadol was a narcotic. After a year of being on it with no issues, no evidence of addiction, I suddenly felt like a druggie looking for a fix. So I have tried other prescriptions to help (Cymbalta, Gabapentin, Lyrica) which are not nearly as helpful and have more side effects for me. I'm going to have a serious discussion with my doctor about going back to tramadol and getting off these other pills. Can't wait to see how that works out.
I got no relief from Tramadol at all. It is a narcotic or very similar, but as I understand, it has been formulated in a way to reduce the incidence of physical dependency and minimize tolerance so it doesn't require increasing dosages the way regular narcotics do. It also means it doesn't work for everyone or for all pain, the way regular narcotics typically work for most everything.

I have found relief with gabapentin. I have permanent nerve damage in my right leg, actually the sensory part of the sciatic nerve is damaged so it sends constant signals like my leg is on fire, and I mean real strong pain sensations, but I have reduced or no sensation in the leg and all the way half-way up my torso. It is weird because it makes a clean straight line up my back and abdomen of sensation on the left and no sensation on the right, so weird. But gabapentin minimizes the burning sensations and helps calm the restless leg. I find it to be a god-send for me in that regard, and it has a minor effect on my upper neck and back pain from my surgeries which is a small bonus. I take a relatively high dose (600 mg 3x per day), but gabapentin can go much higher in dosage and has almost a linear affect on most symptoms it is treating. Cymbalta and lyrica are supposed to work somewhat similar to gabapentin I believe, but did nothing for me at all. But man am I glad I got on gabapentin. I really feel it when I run out, or even if I miss a dose.

Crazy the crap that can happen to our bodies over our lifetimes. And how fragile we really are. It is a good thing we developed a big brain because we can't even survive naked and afraid for 21 days in nature.

Last edited:
Ugh, what condition do you have again? I know you’ve spoken about it some previously.

I wonder if I have some sort of nerve thing. When I wear tighter pants, it sets off my back pain. I’m realizing I need to buy a lot more dress pants about 1-2 inches bigger in the waist.
I can't remember if you talked about it, but how have you recovered from your surgery? Doing ok?

I got no relief from Tramadol at all. It is a narcotic or very similar, but as I understand, it has been formulated in a way to reduce the incidence of physical dependency and minimize tolerance so it doesn't require increasing dosages the way regular narcotics do. It also means it doesn't work for everyone or for all pain, the way regular narcotics typically work for most everything.

I have found relief with gabapentin. I have permanent nerve damage in my right leg, actually the sensory part of the sciatic nerve is damaged so it sends constant signals like my leg is on fire, and I mean real strong pain sensations, but I have reduced or no sensation in the leg and all the way half-way up my torso. It is weird because it makes a clean straight line up my back and abdomen of sensation on the left and no sensation on the right, so weird. But gabapentin minimizes the burning sensations and helps calm the restless leg. I find it to be a god-send for me in that regard, and it has a minor effect on my upper neck and back pain from my surgeries which is a small bonus. I take a relatively high dose (600 mg 3x per day), but gabapentin can go much higher in dosage and has almost a linear affect on most symptoms it is treating. Cymbalta and lyrica are supposed to work somewhat similar to gabapentin I believe, but did nothing for me at all. But man am I glad I got on gabapentin. I really feel it when I run out, or even if I miss a dose.

Crazy the crap that can happen to our bodies over our lifetimes. And how fragile we really are. It is a good thing we developed a big brain because we can't even survive naked and afraid for 21 days in nature.
Gabapentin worked great for me, for about 6 months. Took away the facial nerve pain, essential tremors in my hands, burning in my feet. I just switched to Lyrica last week, and it isn't working as well as the Gabapentin worked initially. But we decided to try it due to some side effect issues I have with Gabapentin. I might have to just up the dosage if the Lyrica doesn't work better. Tramadol seems to help with all of my pain, which is why I'm tempted to just go with it instead of all the rest. Guess I'll see what my rheumatologist advises next week.

I have so many different issues at this point that it isn't worth listing. Let's just say that not much in my body works well. The one part of my body that never hurts is my elbow (unless I bang it on something).

Nerve pain is awful. Time to let comfort be your guide instead of fashion. Bring on the bigger pants!

I have so many different issues at this point that it isn't worth listing. Let's just say that not much in my body works well. The one part of my body that never hurts is my elbow (unless I bang it on something).

Nerve pain is awful. Time to let comfort be your guide instead of fashion. Bring on the bigger pants!
Waaaaaaaaay ahead of ya. I'm this close to a mumu.

I hate this as well but am I guilty as charged when I do this while listening to The Rewatchables podcast while going for a walk through my neighborhood? Like does a neighborhood count? And tbh, I rarely pass people. And doubt you can hear it if you are 20-25 feet away or more.

That does not count. You are good.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Sometimes I answer calls even when I know or at least expect it will be a scammer. Not often, but sometimes.

A lot of times when I do I answer "Hola!" rather than hello and then I use the other three Spanish words I know on repeat. The scammers typically hang up right away.

Well today I received my first ever scam call in Spanish! I could piece enough of it together to tell there was talk of court and the police.

Sometimes I answer calls even when I know or at least expect it will be a scammer. Not often, but sometimes.

A lot of times when I do I answer "Hola!" rather than hello and then I use the other three Spanish words I know on repeat. The scammers typically hang up right away.

Well today I received my first ever scam call in Spanish! I could piece enough of it together to tell there was talk of court and the police.
Your nights of debauchery in Tijuana are finally catching up with you.

Your nights of debauchery in Tijuana are finally catching up with you.
When I was 14 my family took a trip first to San Francisco then down the PCH, through TJ and to Ensenada. That is as much time as I've spent in TJ. When I lived in San Diego I never went at all. I was over 21 when I started living there and saw TJ as a place for 18-20 year olds to go and drink.

Someone might have already said this, but I cannot stand the phrase "out of pocket".

"Jim won't be in the meeting, he is out of pocket today."

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? Why not just say "unavailable", or "out today", or just "out"?

Someone might have already said this, but I cannot stand the phrase "out of pocket".

"Jim won't be in the meeting, he is out of pocket today."

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? Why not just say "unavailable", or "out today", or just "out"?
I haven’t really heard it used that way. I get it when you’re talking about how much money insurance or whatever is going to pay and how much you’ll be left paying “out of pocket” but to describe a person out for the day? Yeah that’s annoying.

I haven’t really heard it used that way. I get it when you’re talking about how much money insurance or whatever is going to pay and how much you’ll be left paying “out of pocket” but to describe a person out for the day? Yeah that’s annoying.
Yeah it is a thing in business circles for whatever reason. Irritating AF.

So when did the center lane, aka the suicide lane, become the stop and make a ****ing phone call lane? I've seen it three times in the last week where a person is just stopped in the center lane clearly just there to have a phone call. One of them was a motorcycle.

So when did the center lane, aka the suicide lane, become the stop and make a ****ing phone call lane? I've seen it three times in the last week where a person is just stopped in the center lane clearly just there to have a phone call. One of them was a motorcycle.
I hate that too. But I have to say it's better than the clueless gits just driving and talking, oblivious to everything else around them.

It would have never occurred to me to do that.

At this point, I’m not sure I’ll be able to continue driving. I’ll drive myself mad yelling at these stupid idiots.

It would have never occurred to me to do that.

At this point, I’m not sure I’ll be able to continue driving. I’ll drive myself mad yelling at these stupid idiots.
Yep. All of'em. It's my contention that there are very few actual traffic accidents. I would wager that 90% of "accidents" are the results of idiots being idiots in traffic and are therefore fully avoidable.

I'm in Utah right now, at my parents place. Headed to Washington as my wife's mother passed away so going to the funeral. As I was leaving California I ran into a 15-mile long stoppage just before Baker. When we finally got to what stopped traffic and added a full 2 hours to my trip, they were slowly funneling us around some wreckage one car at a time, and in so doing we were passing by a couple of CHP officers helping direct traffic. Obviously there had been an accident. There were several wreckers there cleaning the mess. As we say by the cops I had my window down and heard the guy in front of me ask what happened. The cop told him that some guy got impatient that he couldn't get around a bunch of cars stuck behind a diesel that was passing another diesel, and he tried to swerve around 2 of them on the shoulder and back into traffic. He was driving a jacked pickup truck and lost control. Everyone was of course following at several inches from each other instead of giving any space, so the truck was like a bowling ball into a set of pins. Even though it was a diesel passing another he said they were still all going nearly 70 mph, all crowding, everyone needed to be first. So it sent them every which way. Luckily no serious injuries and the car fire started after they had been extricated from the cars.

But see, it was fully preventable, cause by an idiot being a bigger idiot than all the idiots clustered together because they wouldn't slow down just enough to be safe while one truck passed another.

Sometimes it's shocking our species has survived this long

Yep. All of'em. It's my contention that there are very few actual traffic accidents. I would wager that 90% of "accidents" are the results of idiots being idiots in traffic and are therefore fully avoidable.

I'm in Utah right now, at my parents place. Headed to Washington as my wife's mother passed away so going to the funeral. As I was leaving California I ran into a 15-mile long stoppage just before Baker. When we finally got to what stopped traffic and added a full 2 hours to my trip, they were slowly funneling us around some wreckage one car at a time, and in so doing we were passing by a couple of CHP officers helping direct traffic. Obviously there had been an accident. There were several wreckers there cleaning the mess. As we say by the cops I had my window down and heard the guy in front of me ask what happened. The cop told him that some guy got impatient that he couldn't get around a bunch of cars stuck behind a diesel that was passing another diesel, and he tried to swerve around 2 of them on the shoulder and back into traffic. He was driving a jacked pickup truck and lost control. Everyone was of course following at several inches from each other instead of giving any space, so the truck was like a bowling ball into a set of pins. Even though it was a diesel passing another he said they were still all going nearly 70 mph, all crowding, everyone needed to be first. So it sent them every which way. Luckily no serious injuries and the car fire started after they had been extricated from the cars.

But see, it was fully preventable, cause by an idiot being a bigger idiot than all the idiots clustered together because they wouldn't slow down just enough to be safe while one truck passed another.

Sometimes it's shocking our species has survived this long
There are a few YT channels that show "idiots in cars" and when I'm board I'll watch a few. There is definitely a handful of common scenarios that lead to most of the accidents and none of them involve people having "accidents" per se. It's all either negligence or willful disregard for safety. So often what they show is one driver doing something stupid and another driver having all the opportunity in the world to avoid it but stubbornly charging headlong into an accident because they're "right" so they aren't going to slow down, back off, move over, or any number of things that could prevent an "accident."

My one PRO TIP I've gained from watching all that crap is that if you're turning, typically a left turn, in congested traffic and you need to cross 2-3 lanes and people stop for you in the lanes closest to you, proceed with a mountain of caution. Hundreds of videos of people taking the "courtesy" and jamming through only to get t-boned by a car in the right hand lane that has not come to a stop.