What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

The third one? The one the article says is [mawɁƏn̩] instead of [mawɁƏn]? Either bad formatting by the abstract or it's the same IPA pronunciation. The article has a slightly different looking n that I can't identify in IPA.

Either way, what you posted absolutely disputes post 5368 about alveolar stops vs. glottal stops and is AT BEST a regional quirk and absolutely nothing to do with laziness. In fact, it's an extra step to go from glottal stop to voiced vowel to alveolar nasal.

Did you go to the link and look at the pdf which is available for free download? Obviously the pdf is better formatted than what I copied and pasted into the jazzfanz text box. Anyway, I'm not an expert so I don't know the difference between glottal vs alveolar stops. It definitely is a regional quirk. Didn't claim it was due to laziness (that was @LogGrad98). But it's a 14 page peer-reviewed journal article which says what happens in Utah is not the same as what happens elsewhere, disproving your pet peeve. So maybe read it (if you haven't yet).

Last edited:
Did you go to the link and look at the pdf which is available for free download? Obviously the pdf is better formatted than what I copied and pasted into the jazzfanz text box. Anyway, I'm not an expert so I don't know the difference between glottal vs alveolar stops. It definitely is a regional quirk. Didn't claim it was due to laziness (that was @LogGrad98). But it's a 14 page peer-reviewed journal article which says what happens in Utah is not the same as what happens elsewhere, disproving your pet peeve. So maybe read it (if you haven't yet).
Yeah to me it just sounds "lazier", kind of like saying "willin" instead of "wheeling" (for the word "four-wheeling") is a lazier pronunciation. Same with "rill" and "real". Just sounds like lazy pronunciation. Like they aren't rilly trying.

Owing federal tax again, every ****ing year since Trump's "tax breaks" we've owed federal. We've both reduced our deductions and we're still on the hook for ~$600 this year. We always got a modest tax return every ****ing year of my adult life until Trump ****ed it up.

To top it off Turbo Tax won't file my state taxes because my Employer ID has a hyphen in it... because it's supposed to have a ****ing hyphen. It won't let me manually remove the hyphen because it automatically puts it in the correct format, with a hyphen even if you don't type the hyphen.

Ugh.

Owing federal tax again, every ****ing year since Trump's "tax breaks" we've owed federal. We've both reduced our deductions and we're still on the hook for ~$600 this year. We always got a modest tax return every ****ing year of my adult life until Trump ****ed it up.

To top it off Turbo Tax won't file my state taxes because my Employer ID has a hyphen in it... because it's supposed to have a ****ing hyphen. It won't let me manually remove the hyphen because it automatically puts it in the correct format, with a hyphen even if you don't type the hyphen.

Ugh.

How are you doing taxes already?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

How are you doing taxes already?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
got our W-2s electronically. Been getting them earlier and earlier the last few years. Our taxes are pretty simple and with the changes three years ago we're very easily in the standard deduction category.

I mentioned a particular post numbered that mentioned laziness. I figured that's what would be understood on what I was replying to.

"You do not currently have access to this content" Can't read the actual article.

And according to the abstract, my pet peeve is absolutely not disproven, but confirmed.

Compare, "Pet peeve of mine is treating the American glottal stop as some sort of Utah original or specialty and not a feature of American English as a whole" to "The third correlate, releasing the glottal stop orally rather than nasally ... is the most likely candidate for “t-dropping”

The abstract states less than 1 in 5 Utahns release a glottal stop differently. Your post 5624 says it bugs you that a glottal stop is used in Utah instead of a "t." All Americans drop a "t" in "important" and replace it with a glottal stop. The article states that 17% of Utahns get to the succeeding nasal differently. Nothing showing to the actual glottal stop.

I'm with Colton. I've lived in multiple states and visited nearly 40 and the way utahns use the glottal stop in these words is pretty unique. I hear it a bit in Idaho, wyoming, even washington, and fully acknowledge it is a regional thing. I think it is different than most as well, as the Utah version seems to involve not moving the tongue to the alveolar ridge, whole most others seem to move the tongue there, making it decidedly different, and why to me it sounds "lazy". Go back to my post with examples and it shows the difference. Say "late-n" then say "Lay'uhn". The first brings the tongue to the alveolar ridge, the second does not. The 2nd also typically partially voices the "uhn" part. The 2nd one is utahn.

I have been able, with pretty good accuracy, to identify Mormon you-tubers based on their speech patterns. And this is part of it.

People who are bothered by dialects. Why do you need everyone else to sound how you think they should sound? I enjoy when someone sounds differnt.

Makes no sense to care so much, disapprove, stare down your proper nose, so I guess it is an actual stupid pet peeve.

People who are bothered by dialects. Why do you need everyone else to sound how you think they should sound? I enjoy when someone sounds differnt.

Makes no sense to care so much, disapprove, stare down your proper nose, so I guess it is an actual stupid pet peeve.
People who are bothered by other people's pet peeves. Why do you need everyone else to be bothered only by what bothers you?

People who are bothered by other people's pet peeves. Why do you need everyone else to be bothered only by what bothers you?

My bad. I forget you can't complain about complainers just like you can't tell your children to not do anything if you have done it. These are sound rules in life.

My bad. I forget you can't complain about complainers just like you can't tell your children to not do anything if you have done it. These are sound rules in life.
You can complain about complainers all you want. And I can complain about people who complain about complainers all I want. Isn't it great?

People who feel the need to turn their vehicle on and leave it running so it won't be a little chilly when they get in it.
Our air quality is **** and unnecessarily polluting the air by running your vehicle while unoccupied just makes it worse.

I just got back from a short run with my dog and counted 5 vehicles (4 of them pickup trucks) running with the owners no where to be seen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

People who feel the need to turn their vehicle on and leave it running so it won't be a little chilly when they get in it.
Our air quality is **** and unnecessarily polluting the air by running your vehicle while unoccupied just makes it worse.

I just got back from a short run with my dog and counted 5 vehicles (4 of them pickup trucks) running with the owners no where to be seen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile ap
Pretty sure I made the same response last year:

Im not sure this matters much as most of the air pollutants of consequence [to Utah's wintertime inversion problem] are emmitted during the first few minutes after cold start (until the catalytic converter heats up). Warming your vehicle up is pretty much only going to add CO2 if your trip is longer than 5 minutes. The other side of thus is cars warm up faster while driving, so you might be cutting down 1-2 minutes of cold start pollution while driving to warm up vs idling.

You can complain about complainers all you want. And I can complain about people who complain about complainers all I want. Isn't it great?
True.

My pet peeve, like many or most in this thread, is people being douchy. You expressed your pet peeve by being a douche bag to others. The two aren't similar as you tried to make them sound, or whatever you are going for with this childish "no huh" retort.

True.

My pet peeve, like many or most in this thread, is people being douchy. You expressed your pet peeve by being a douche bag to others. The two aren't similar as you tried to make them sound, or whatever you are going for with this childish "no huh" retort.
Huh? You feeling over-sensitive? Please show me who I was a douchebag to. I went back and looked at all my posts in this and don't see anything remotely douchey to anyone, unless you felt my comments about Utahn sounding "lazy", which to me it does. But so does a good southern drawl which I find interesting and pleasant. So if you took offense at that I'm sorry I offended you.

How about

Times-ing
Plussing
Minussing

Ugh.

My boss says "ok so take the rate and the hours and times-ing them together you get..." He does this with plussing and minussing as well. "so take the cost, and minussing out the utilities you get..."

Stop the madness!

How about

Times-ing
Plussing
Minussing

Ugh.

My boss says "ok so take the rate and the hours and times-ing them together you get..." He does this with plussing and minussing as well. "so take the cost, and minussing out the utilities you get..."

Stop the madness!
Yeah, he should know its Times-ification.