What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

First, people that don't respect the HOV lane. I get that it goes faster, that is the benefit you are supposed to gain by taking an extra driver or 2 out of the quagmire of traffic and/or using an electric vehicle.

Second, the execution of HOV lanes in America just sucks. There is no good division, no policing of it (even though they could get a ton of $481 fines or whatever because maybe every 5th or 6th car actually belongs there), and we do not teach the rules of it in our driving courses.

Third, campers in the HOV lane. If you are just going to go the exact same speed as regular traffic then get the **** out of the HOV lane. Not that I think the HOV lane should be constantly going 85 when all other traffic is flowing at a cool 70+ in a 65 zone, but the assholes that are going just at or under the speed limit while all the regular traffic passes them by. What the **** do they think they are accomplishing camping there? That the lane in front of them is open so it feels nice?

Good hell our traffic training (for drivers) and laws and enforcement are a huge joke. We could clear up probably 50% of traffic flow issues, even more when the density on the freeway is under 70%, with better training and some level of enforcement of traffic laws besides just speeding. Of course it is yet another way our police systems and laws are broken, as the laws are designed so they get more money for a speeding violation than most other violations, and I guess pulling over speeders is sexier or something, even though 9 times out of 10 the speeder is doing nothing to impede the flow of traffic, while at the same time you have dozens of other people disregarding basic traffic laws causing unnecessary log jams and making the freeways far more dangerous. Yes I get that it is easier to catch speeders, but still, the effort to enforce other traffic laws would help make the freeways safer.

I tell you the more I commute in socal the worse my estimation of american drivers and traffic systems gets.

Good hell our traffic training (for drivers) and laws and enforcement are a huge joke. We could clear up probably 50% of traffic flow issues, even more when the density on the freeway is under 70%, with better training and some level of enforcement of traffic laws besides just speeding.
I would really like to see more tailers pulled over. They encourage other drivers to to drive recklessly just from the aggression displayed.

Western-Spotted-Orbweaver.jpg

I don’t remember these in Utah but where I live in Southern California they are everywhere. They are the western spotted orbweaver. They aren’t aggressive or dangerous. They are venomous but supposedly it is really mild. I’ve never even heard of anyone ever being bitten by one but they are crazy good at making webs.

These spiders will create webs 10 feet across in a handful of hours, usually overnight. It is common for me to get up early in the morning to walk the dog down the trail next to my house and walk face-first into one of their spider webs spanning trees on either side of the trail. That is immediately followed by my flailing around to get all the spider web off me and violently brush my clothing to make sure no spiders are on me. For some reason my dog never clears the webs before I walk into them because these spiders prefer to spin webs at human face height.

Western-Spotted-Orbweaver.jpg

I don’t remember these in Utah but where I live in Southern California they are everywhere. They are the western spotted orbweaver. They aren’t aggressive or dangerous. They are venomous but supposedly it is really mild. I’ve never even heard of anyone ever being bitten by one but they are crazy good at making webs.

These spiders will create webs 10 feet across in a handful of hours, usually overnight. It is common for me to get up early in the morning to walk the dog down the trail next to my house and walk face-first into one of their spider webs spanning trees on either side of the trail. That is immediately followed by my flailing around to get all the spider web off me and violently brush my clothing to make sure no spiders are on me. For some reason my dog never clears the webs before I walk into them because these spiders prefer to spin webs at human face height.
Don't see too many of these in the inland empire, but I have seen them on trails closer to the coast. And yes their webs are impressive. Freaky looking spider in the wild that is for sure. We went on a hike near Oceanside with my family a few years back and my son got one on his daypack after walking through a web. which means, of course, that we all nearly beat him to death. (But he probably deserved it.)

I hate that the white supremacists and MAGA pieces of **** have co-opted patriotism. I have a white shirt with big words across the front that say "true to the red white and blue" in red white and blue of course, which I like to wear to the beach. But now I feel self-conscious hoping no one mistakes me for a trump supporter. We need to take our patriotism back!

I hate that the white supremacists and MAGA pieces of **** have co-opted patriotism. I have a white shirt with big words across the front that say "true to the red white and blue" in red white and blue of course, which I like to wear to the beach. But now I feel self-conscious hoping no one mistakes me for a trump supporter. We need to take our patriotism back!
So much this

I use swipe, which is kind of dumb, and it leads to a lot of typos (swipos?) but tonight was a good one.

My wife is at work but I was ordering some sandwiches online and asked what she wanted via text message. She didn't get back to me so I just re-ordered what she got last time. A little after that she texted me what she wanted which was pretty close except that she didn't want it toasted and she wanted pickles. So I text her back that I already ordered and that her sandwich was "fisted" and had pickles. I attempted to swipe toasted and swipe figured I must have meant fisted. Like seriously, fisted?

I use swipe, which is kind of dumb, and it leads to a lot of typos (swipos?) but tonight was a good one.

My wife is at work but I was ordering some sandwiches online and asked what she wanted via text message. She didn't get back to me so I just re-ordered what she got last time. A little after that she texted me what she wanted which was pretty close except that she didn't want it toasted and she wanted pickles. So I text her back that I already ordered and that her sandwich was "fisted" and had pickles. I attempted to swipe toasted and swipe figured I must have meant fisted. Like seriously, fisted?
Well it pulls mostly from your search history, so.......

I use swipe as well.
Nice typo bro lol

Jesus ****ing wept!!! Took a swing of water it went down the wrong hole, coughed so hard i nearly passed out.

Jesus ****ing wept!!! Took a swing of water it went down the wrong hole, coughed so hard i nearly passed out.
Thats a good one that I think we all relate to. I hate that. All of a sudden my body forgets how to drink water? WTF is that about?

Don't see too many of these in the inland empire, but I have seen them on trails closer to the coast. And yes their webs are impressive. Freaky looking spider in the wild that is for sure. We went on a hike near Oceanside with my family a few years back and my son got one on his daypack after walking through a web. which means, of course, that we all nearly beat him to death. (But he probably deserved it.)
I used to see those spiders in my backyard on the regular. I liked to throw grasshoppers into their webs and watch the chaos unfold. Those spiders are huge. Other than some taratula looking spider I saw in butterfield canyon fighting a tarantula hornet one time, they are the biggest spider I have ever seen in the wild.

Our tax system is a huge ****ing joke. In other developed nations forms are presented to the government and the individual. Then the government generates a tax "return" of sorts, more just a report. Tax is calculated automatically for 80% of the population and all you do is review it and file a return of your own if you have a special circumstance, like multiple businesses and such that aren't cleanly handled with what is already given to the government. In other words, simple and easy for 80% of the population, and accurate.

So here we have the exact same documentation presented to the government, and the individual. Then the individual has to fill out these hugely complicated forms, or pay someone to do it, to tell the government you have what they already know you have and owe what they already know you owe. And if you get it wrong, since they can see exactly the same info you have, then they can come in and "audit" and fine you for messing up on their hugely complicated forms, to tell them what they already know. It is ridiculous in the extreme.

I am being audited by the state of Utah for tax year 2016. I have confimations that they received my return electronically, they are claiming they never received it. In the end, they would owe me like $36. So I never really checked to make sure that got deposited, especially since we were moving at the time. Now I am trying to dig back through 6 years of records to see if I can get all the documentation they are asking for, so they can give me $36. What? I am sure this entire thing is costing them hundreds. I provided print outs of the return but they are asking for other documents I did not remember receiving and cannot find in my documents. Note that none of these affect my income, they are just verifying I reported I got the documents the government also got, so they know I got them, they have to do with transfers of 401ks to IRA with no distribution, essentially. But because they weren't included in my return, even though they will have zero effect on my return, I could get fined, because, again, the government got the documents and know that I should have them. So why again do I have to produce them? Again, what the actual ****? Why are we so ****ing backward for a supposed developed nation? It is like a guessing game designed to hit you for whatever money they can. I know what documents you got, do you know? Oh one got lost in the mail huh? Well since I know it exists and I know the exact impact on your taxes, you know, nothing, but you didn't say you got it, well then you get a fine, since you didn't guess right!!

HATE HATE HATE the "tv" playing constantly at annoying as **** volume while I'm pumping gas. At least give me the option to shut the ****ing thing up. Mother****ers.

Huh? TV’s at gas stations? I’m confused.
Maybe it's only in the west but most gas pumps here have a little screen on them that play commercials while you're pumping your gas. Often they are obnoxiously loud. Some can be muted but most cannot.