What's new

Take Robert Upshaw

So is Upshaw the player Perrin said gave a bad interview?

He said the bad interview was unexpectedly bad. So I would assume it would be a player without any widely known major concerns...

I would prefer the Jazz cash in both their seconds to move up for someone with a big upside like De Paula or Upshaw.

I would prefer the Jazz cash in both their seconds to move up for someone with a big upside like De Paula or Upshaw.

It really doesn't work that way... Our second second rounder is in the 50s... it has almost no value. It would likely be a trade of the 42 and cash to move up. There are guys that have big upside that do not have substance abuse issues. I like Richaun Holmes, Rakeem Christmas, Cliff Alexander, Chris McCullough and Delon Wright (he could be an early second rounder... has no buzz right now at all)

I remember Upshaw when the U played them in SLC and he looked like their best player by far and then a week or two later dismissed from the team which we found was more drug related issues.

On one hand the talent is tantalizing but on the other the knuckleheadedness is off the charts, hard to put trust into someone kicked out of 2 different schools for drug related issues. Would take a strong management, strong coach and a strong locker room with some strong vets to take that leap of faith.

I can't think of anyone who has kicked issues like this before and been successful.

How about Randy Moss??

Upshaw's a top 10 player imo, will probably be the BPA on my board unless they hit this 2.5% chance. I dont see how any other team would lead the league in blocks... Upshaws shotblocking instincts are top-notch, hes supremely talented.

considering the dearth of talent at C in the league, monsters like Robert Upshaw are a scarce commodity.. no one could leverage his value in just a few seasons quite like Utah, hiding him behind Rudy I think would really motivate him to earn minutes too.

Wow, I actually agree with PGAB even though I wouldnt take Upshaw because of our current personnel, but I would take him if we didnt have Gobert.

Pee Wee Herman :)

He didn't do it on his rookie deal though.

These type of guys can be successful after hitting rock bottom and being humbled. Hand the guy guaranteed millions and I'm sure he'll turn it all around.

Wow, I actually agree with PGAB even though I wouldnt take Upshaw because of our current personnel, but I would take him if we didnt have Gobert.

I would draft him if we had a late first... or if we could get a late first by trading our seconds...

Also, what better environment for him than a calm city and a coach who according to rumors has had issues with drugs and has managed to put that behind and succeed in the league.

Not sure a team would use a first round pick on Upshaw.
That involves guaranteed money.

I would draft him if we had a late first... or if we could get a late first by trading our seconds...

Also, what better environment for him than a calm city and a coach who according to rumors has had issues with drugs and has managed to put that behind and succeed in the league.

IDK what kind of drugs he has problems with, but if its the usual (marijuana), it won't matter where he moves.

I guess party drugs like coke and stuff might be easier to avoid in SLC though. .

Yeah but there is less partying hence less reason to do drugs more associated with a club/party setting. Of course you can do coke anywhere you want.

If you have millions, then you just import your party. You've listened to Jalen.

When anyone in the Jazz FO talks about draft prospects they always talk about drafting character guys.
They also seem to love the team chemistry at this time and don't think they want to even come close to screwing it up by taking a flier on someone that even might cause problems.
I don't think they will give a second look to anyone that got kicked off of 2 teams for violating team rules, no matter what those rules were.