What's new

Terrorism in Charleston, SC

What is your point then? The Thriller can't account for every person's opinion, and challenging his assertion is pointless. I'm sure SOMEONE would like to see it banned. But it is not the argument at hand. Neither is there a point to saying that the country is racist. Some people are racist, some people aren't. More people were racist in the past. Things change.

If the measuring stick is having racist people in a country makes that country racist than every country on earth that has, does or will ever exist is racist.

I'm with you on this Siro.

Also for the record, Hillary suggesting a ban is not the same as the gov. banning it. Even if the President came out and says "we should ban this" that is not the same as a ban. It can still be sold and bought.

If the measuring stick is having racist people in a country makes that country racist than every country on earth that has, does or will ever exist is racist.

I'm with you on this Siro.

Also for the record, Hillary suggesting a ban is not the same as the gov. banning it. Even if the President came out and says "we should ban this" that is not the same as a ban. It can still be sold and bought.

Agreed. However I would be actively opposed to any legislative attempt to ban it as I don't think they have the constitutional authority to do that.

What is your point then? The Thriller can't account for every person's opinion, and challenging his assertion is pointless. I'm sure SOMEONE would like to see it banned. But it is not the argument at hand. Neither is there a point to saying that the country is racist. Some people are racist, some people aren't. More people were racist in the past. Things change.

I stated what my point was. If you want to make it into something else, go ahead. I don't care.

I also don't care that you wouldn't sell the confederate flag. If you're also saying that you wouldn't sell anything that is considered racist by some, you'd better have a lot of ink, the list is going to be long.

Agreed. However I would be actively opposed to any legislative attempt to ban it as I don't think they have the constitutional authority to do that.

As would I.

But I am in favor of removing the confederate flag from city, county and state gov. property. But let the citizens buy and display it if they wish.

I stated what my point was. If you want to make it into something else, go ahead. I don't care.

I also don't care that you wouldn't sell the confederate flag. If you're also saying that you wouldn't sell anything that is considered racist by some, you'd better have a lot of ink, the list is going to be long.

Also, are you really saying that high profile politicians are just "SOMEONE". Can't you simply take what I said at face value, and leave it there?

I'm interested in having rational debates that can reach meaningful conclusions. If you simply want to see your words printed on a page, then yes, I'm more than happy to take what you said at face value and leave it there. After all, you'll never see me debating DutchJazzer!

How is the American flag just as racist? The Confederate flag represented the losing side of a war AGAINST the united states over (if in part) the issue of slavery. It's the flag of the pro-slavers side that lost the war.

And she has the right to say that selling the flag is wrong. She is an American citizen with the full rights it entails. The fact her voice has power is irrelevant.

As a politician she will say what best suits her campaign. Find a quote showing her objection to the Confederate flag when she was the first lady of Arkansas and I will be less cynical.

Srs, when are people going to start seeing politicians for what they are, politicians.

Edit: I know you weren't cheer leading for Hilary, but I wouldn't paint her as just a private citizen with influence.

As a politician she will say what best suits her campaign. Find a quote showing her objection to the Confederate flag when she was the first lady of Arkansas and I will be less cynical.

Srs, when are people going to start seeing politicians for what they are, politicians.

Edit: I know you weren't cheer leading for Hilary, but I wouldn't paint her as just a private citizen with influence.

That's obviously the case. If calling for the preservation of the flag was in her interest, she would drape herself head-to-toe in the Stars and Bars. But the sincerity of her position is irrelevant. The argument is about the meaning, context, and history of the flag, and what that says about the morality of flying, selling, or supporting it.

I'm interested in having rational debates that can reach meaningful conclusions. If you simply want to see your words printed on a page, then yes, I'm more than happy to take what you said at face value and leave it there. After all, you'll never see me debating DutchJazzer!

Is this a meaningful conclusion?

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/23/8836571/dukes-of-hazzard-car-toys-confederate-flag

Are we taking things a little too far? Don't know about anybody else, but I watched Dukes of Hazzard while growing up. Bo and Luke didn't seem racist to me. Just some good ol' boys, never meaning no harm. I wonder if I watched today, if I would think differently.

Is this a meaningful conclusion?

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/23/8836571/dukes-of-hazzard-car-toys-confederate-flag

Are we taking things a little too far? Don't know about anybody else, but I watched Dukes of Hazzard while growing up. Bo and Luke didn't seem racist to me. Just some good ol' boys, never meaning no harm. I wonder if I watched today, if I would think differently.

It's a backlash caused by a national tragedy. I'm not that interested in analyzing whether every person's response is justifiable or whether it's an over-reaction. Private citizens are free to do as they wish. Let's stop pretending such triviality is a cause worth fighting for.

But that chapter was concluded with the civil war. The side that wanted slavery to continue carried the Confederate flag, and lost. The Union wanted slavery abolished, they carried the American flag, and won. It's really quite simple.

Plus there's the whole white privilege thing.