What's new

The Баба-яга

Funny this got bumped. I literally just got back from a 9 day trip to Ukraine as part of my ongoing research into who the Russians are.

Holla at your boi from Pripyat!

upload_2018-8-21_15-7-12.png

Write down your findings then.

Way too many things to write in a short forum post. The upshot is that Ukraine is a beautiful place, and if you pay cab drivers to take you around the city and tell you what they think about their country you get a real sense of the multi-generational struggle that has taken place there to forge and maintain an identity that is separate from the Russian Empire/USSR/Russian Federation. You also get a real firm notion of the long-term psychological impact that constant corruption and the ongoing threat of Russian occupation can have on a people. This is a society that had a relatively bloody revolution less than five years ago, and sometimes feel like nothing changed and nothing might ever change. Given that context, the machinations at the 2016 GOP convention, to sell these people out in exchange for Russian cooperation with the campaign, and the ongoing possibility that our administration may formally recognize Russia's territorial claims on Ukraine, feels particularly cruel and unfair. These people are real and they matter.

Also, we need restaurants that serve Georgian food in the United States. Five-star cuisine all the way around.

Way too many things to write in a short forum post. The upshot is that Ukraine is a beautiful place, and if you pay cab drivers to take you around the city and tell you what they think about their country you get a real sense of the multi-generational struggle that has taken place there to forge and maintain an identity that is separate from the Russian Empire/USSR/Russian Federation. You also get a real firm notion of the long-term psychological impact that constant corruption and the ongoing threat of Russian occupation can have on a people. This is a society that had a relatively bloody revolution less than five years ago, and sometimes feel like nothing changed and nothing might ever change. Given that context, the machinations at the 2016 GOP convention, to sell these people out in exchange for Russian cooperation with the campaign, and the ongoing possibility that our administration may formally recognize Russia's territorial claims on Ukraine, feels particularly cruel and unfair. These people are real and they matter.

Also, we need restaurants that serve Georgian food in the United States. Five-star cuisine all the way around.
I bet you can find Georgian kitchen in there. Your first approach a year ago was more essential, avoiding macro-politics, focusing on subconscious aspects of Russian culture to find out how they see the world in a humorous linguistic.

Also some random stuff:

C74F0128-2AE9-4784-ADD8-9C4179A05B97.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F47922A-C20F-4349-B859-2809E7F2D4B9.jpeg
    6F47922A-C20F-4349-B859-2809E7F2D4B9.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I bet there is a deep research waiting for you in there that will make you find out that Russian myths are fused with the Asian ones so much that they are more Asian then Western like you said. But one should also remember that if you go down deeper into European mythology based in paganism, it will be easier to align the ****ed up-ness of that other side’s wicked stories.

I bet you can find Georgian kitchen in there. Your first approach a year ago was more essential, avoiding macro-politics, focusing on subconscious aspects of Russian culture to find out how they see the world in a humorous linguistic.

Also some random stuff:

There's a fair amount of that stuff that came about from the trip, but I'm not certain it's totally accessible unless you've spent a year wallowing in it. The best (quickie) example is that I have a much better sense now of how Eastern Orthodox Christianity fits into Slavic identity in an almost existential way than I did a year ago. There's also some bits in there about the degree to which that is coextensive with a collective conception of the self.

The Rus and the associated peoples have history going back something like 1200 years. I'll probably never fully grok it. Pro-tip though: The Russian versions of "Little Mermaid" and "Winnie the Pooh" are way better than the Disney versions.

is taht you bro?

shave your head bro. your hair is balding
][/QUOTE]

Oh no! You got me! I'll get right on shaving that head.

Actually, that's just my hairline. Here's a pic of me at jazzfanz nite out with @catzies more than ten years ago. I was born balding and it's been in approximately the same position since childhood. I'm sure you feel triumphant having clearly called me out on the source of my eternal shame.

upload_2018-8-21_18-50-27.png

Catzies looks great though!

T
Oh no! You got me! I'll get right on shaving that head.

Actually, that's just my hairline. Here's a pic of me at jazzfanz nite out with @catzies more than ten years ago. I was born balding and it's been in approximately the same position since childhood. I'm sure you feel triumphant having clearly called me out on the source of my eternal shame.

View attachment 6250

Catzies looks great though!

naah bro. it's cool. balding is a great sign means you got the testosterone. i myself have been balding since 18. but my top is gone totally.

was not an attack. just friendly advise. chicks love bald dudes

Going or being bald does not mean you have more testosterone than men who have good hair. Sorry to burst the bubble of lies you tell yourself Dutch. There's either no correlation or men with non-balding hair generally have higher testosterone on average, if I recall. Baldness has to do with how your body interacts with dht. If that's what you were implying anyways. Also sirkickyass said that's been his hairline since he was a kid so that ain't balding you baldy.
Now back to the Russians.

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: