What's new

The Баба-яга

That is messed up. No way Baba Yaga would have cross on top of her house.

Notice the convenient placement of the crescent moon!?!?!

He’s one of them dirty Mooslims I tell ya!!

Reactions: MVP
A) If you could be even slightly less reactionary you'd see that you and I are agreeing with one another. My point was with respect to baseline assumptions about people that look like you are actually more like you. I'm saying that the West has made a mistake with respect to the relative alien-ness of Russian culture because of racism. You're trying to make that something else and turning a nominal ally against you.

I think I had this myopia because of being primed by DC liberal commentariat acting like ~Russia Experts~ and making dumb generalizations about their culture. I must have been having an irksome day because the tone of my post was harsh even by my own standards. Yikes.

B) This thread is a little silly on purpose, but the project is very real and serious and has real value. It's inspired by a course that my alma mater teaches (and yes, the Professor is a real Soviet) that examines the nature of morality through a Russian lens by looking at their literature. That's combined with readings on the history of the place; which is complicated in this instance because the meaning of what it is to be Russian has changed so radically in a relatively short period of time. And one of my goals is to learn the language because words are mere boxes that hide true meanings and that's doubly true when it's a word chosen to approximate the original.

That sounds quite interesting.

C) I used to be filled with piss and vinegar once. I was convinced I was smarter than everyone else on this board, and most of the time I was. But I've long since learned that the real value is in disagreeing with people in a way that makes them want to keep talking to you. I hope you get there eventually. Because your posts here show you're not there yet.

I think any "progressive person" knows the incredible burden of responsibility of being the "the point person of progressivity" for reactionary friends who never actually change their views, but send their peer an article to spur some annoying discussion on a viewpoint they don't want to change.

What I'm trying to say is, there's a time and place for bridge-building, but there's also a time and place for not exhausting yourself. How I communicate with my peers locally in person is different from the mandate I have for logging into a Utah-based board.

TL;DR: You're the reason Trump won.

With time, I think you'll understand that defiantly principled people aren't the reason Hillary lost-- it's because she never defiantly stood for any principle in her entire career, and built an entire campaign with no message of change, or improvement in living circumstances for the vast majority of American citizens. In that vacuum, Trump emerged, and the rest is history.

Take my political contribution for what it's worth, but I suppose some credibility can be thrust upon me for not equating AOC to Dave Brat ;)

We already burned the White House once... doubt you want to mess with us again.

I think, maybe, if you guys let Elon Musk buy you, annexing ALL of America is within reach. That right there is an attainable, quantifiable goal.

Dude, what on earth? You're taking the actions of Russians in power/Russians linked to those in power, and you're extrapolating this sentiment across the rest of the hundreds of millions of Russians? Now think about if people from other countries extrapolated the actions of the US government towards everyone on this forum and concluded that Americans are "a certain way".

Are you a piece of **** because your country is selling arms to Saudi Arabia, who are then using said munitions to massacre Yemeni civilians?

Oh God.

Driven by different psychological forces? What?

I think any Russian would laugh hysterically with what you've come up with.

- Brothers Grimm of Germany came up with significantly more grim, macabre, bizarre stories than the one you mentioned.
- If your later argument stems from the impact of communism on Russian culture, well, my family is Albanian. By all accounts, the Communist regime of Albania was significantly more repressive. Why don't Albanians hate the US then?
Damn, this didn't age well...

EDIT: Uhh, I guess you need to read the source post to get the gist.

Way too many things to write in a short forum post. The upshot is that Ukraine is a beautiful place, and if you pay cab drivers to take you around the city and tell you what they think about their country you get a real sense of the multi-generational struggle that has taken place there to forge and maintain an identity that is separate from the Russian Empire/USSR/Russian Federation. You also get a real firm notion of the long-term psychological impact that constant corruption and the ongoing threat of Russian occupation can have on a people. This is a society that had a relatively bloody revolution less than five years ago, and sometimes feel like nothing changed and nothing might ever change. Given that context, the machinations at the 2016 GOP convention, to sell these people out in exchange for Russian cooperation with the campaign, and the ongoing possibility that our administration may formally recognize Russia's territorial claims on Ukraine, feels particularly cruel and unfair. These people are real and they matter.

Also, we need restaurants that serve Georgian food in the United States. Five-star cuisine all the way around.
Damn...

This post feels spooky to read. I think Russia has given Ukraine it's unifying identity. I think beating the Russians out of their country after this invasion is going to be the glue that binds Ukraine for a long time.

I think they are starting to root out some of the corruption and a new generation who has always been Ukrainian is starting to take control.

Damn...

This post feels spooky to read. I think Russia has given Ukraine it's unifying identity. I think beating the Russians out of their country after this invasion is going to be the glue that binds Ukraine for a long time.

I think they are starting to root out some of the corruption and a new generation who has always been Ukrainian is starting to take control.
I'm just so right about so many things so often. Sadly, my genius is rarely recognized in its time