What's new

The annual “how are you watching the games this year” thread

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So it looks like at least one popular way to view games is now out. How is everyone planning on watching games? What’s the most simple, streamlined method? For those doing DirectTV, what kind of package do you have to have? It’s been >4 years since I’ve had Dish Network and I refuse to go back to that. I don’t want to do DirecTV, either but may have no choice. It doesn’t require a dish or box now, correct?

This is a huge PITA and unnecessary. Just give me all the games, tell me the price, and make it one simple transaction and not a scavenger hunt.

nbalp. I always shell it out. Is there something I could use on firestick instead?

nbalp. I always shell it out. Is there something I could use on firestick instead?
A couple years ago I did LP with a VPN but had to use the NBA app on the TV and it sucked. I heard they were cracking down on VPNs. I also hated that LP didn’t have any of the nationally televised games and NBATV games were just a no-go because they’d black those out on YouTubeTV. I hate having to sign up for 3-5 services and still not get all the games.

I'm probably going to do LP on Amazon if they have it like they did for the playoffs.

I may have to try LP and a VPN or go back to cable or satellite which I really hate the thoughts of doing.

I’d intended on doing LP last season until I discovered that being in the Boise area was considered a home market and the games were blacked out. So dumb.

I may have to try LP and a VPN or go back to cable or satellite which I really hate the thoughts of doing.

I’d intended on doing LP last season until I discovered that being in the Boise area was considered a home market and the games were blacked out. So dumb.
That sucks. I lived in Missouri and it was great because there were no blackouts. I was in central Texas for four years and they blacked out all SA, Houston and Dallas games. 12 games a year. Plus anything on NBATV. A couple years ago when I did LP with VPN (in Utah) I got all the games except NBATV. Had to have YouTubeTV for the TBS/TNT games. It was okay except using the damn app, it often stalling, and the massive lag that was frustrating if I was following a box score that’s 2 minutes ahead.

Tencent sports app. $20 for the whole season every game in 1080p. I can cast it to whatever screen I'm watching on. Live games sometimes don't have an English announcer option but always do later.

International League Pass, as always. Works well, even though I thought they botched a few things with their upgrades last year, but most of them were fixed. I ~never watch games live (they always start somewhere between 1AM and 4AM), so I need something that a) doesn't spoil and b) does a good job of fast-forwarding when needed.

Edit: Also, I never bother with any VPN solutions, I'll rather pay up and get the stuff that's available here (Norway). Makes stuff a lot easier (even though, if I watch at work we are always VPNd, so I sometimes come out of Poland, sometimes Netherlands, sometimes Ukraine, but that works as well).

International League Pass, as always. Works well, even though I thought they botched a few things with their upgrades last year, but most of them were fixed. I ~never watch games live (they always start somewhere between 1AM and 4AM), so I need something that a) doesn't spoil and b) does a good job of fast-forwarding when needed.

Edit: Also, I never bother with any VPN solutions, I'll rather pay up and get the stuff that's available here (Norway). Makes stuff a lot easier (even though, if I watch at work we are always VPNd, so I sometimes come out of Poland, sometimes Netherlands, sometimes Ukraine, but that works as well).
That’s what I do here in England as well. However, we rarely watch the games live so we’ve never had any issues with blackouts. Same with the NFL pass. UFC is what stinks because they have a deal with BT Sport so there are a lot of blackouts for many days. The UK seems to be able and/or willing to control what is accessible online and on TV. There’s a tv tax over $100 per year here, but there are still commercials.