What's new

The Best Show on the History of Television

What is the best show on the history of television?

• The Sopranos

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • The Wire

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Mad Men

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Breaking Bad

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I Love Lucy

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Seinfeld

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • MASH

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • The Simpsons

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • All in the Family

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Mad Men seasons 1-3 where we really see who Don is and how he came to be, at his roots, does it for me the most. I liked it after that but not as much.

Seinfeld is very very overrated. Always shocked that it's held in such high regard.
That is your opinion.
It's wrong, but you are entitled to it

The original only ran for 3 years.

Right but I think we can call it long running considering ST The Animated Series, ST The Next Generation, ST Deep Space Nine, ST Voyager, ST Enterprise, and that's not even counting the Movies. Maybe that's cheating a bit but I think it counts as long running let alone iconic.

The Breaking Bad lovefest is pretty funny.

My favorite TV show ever made is Curb your Enthusiasm. Louie is right in there, too.

That is your opinion.
It's wrong, but you are entitled to it

Look it's a good sitcom, but it doesn't exactly rise above the genre.

Arrested Development lives on a different planet from Seinfeld. The Boondocks has a real point of view that flies on a plane above "the contest." Chapelle was a force of nature. Community engaged in fully committed genre pastiches and had ambition that Seinfeld never dreamed of.

Seinfeld fundamentally is about catchphrases, wacky neighbors, and dating hijinks. It's good at those things, but is it really THAT much better than Frasier? I mean, for ****s sake, Frasier! Could we even really say it was better than The Office?

If Seinfeld was on today it would be just another show.

Arrested Development lives on a different planet from Seinfeld. The Boondocks has a real point of view that flies on a plane above "the contest." Chapelle was a force of nature. Community engaged in fully committed genre pastiches and had ambition that Seinfeld never dreamed of.

Seinfeld fundamentally is about catchphrases, wacky neighbors, and dating hijinks. It's good at those things, but is it really THAT much better than Frasier? I mean, for ****s sake, Frasier! Could we even really say it was better than The Office?

I just can't like anything that much that has a laugh track.

lolwut

I just can't like anything that much that has a laugh track.

Are you talking about Seinfeld? If so, it's not a laugh track; it's filmed in front of live audiences--big difference. Laugh tracks are so ****ing annoying.

What an American List.

I voted Other, and say Fawlty Towers. Or Black Adder.

Fawlty Towers is impeccably written but doesn't really live up to the production standards of the modern era.

Black Adder is wonderful, but I've always been more of a Red Dwarf guy.

In terms of the list being American, that's true. But, we did invent the medium and we've produced massive amounts of it. It shouldn't be shocking most of the good stuff is ours.

Firefly is a pretty good show, but nothing makes me hate it more than Firefly fans. They just can't give it up. There's like 5 episodes you guys. Get over it.

Fawlty Towers is impeccably written but doesn't really live up to the production standards of the modern era.

In terms of the list being American, that's true. But, we did invent the medium and we've produced massive amounts of it. It shouldn't be shocking most of the good stuff is ours.

Firefly is a pretty good show, but nothing makes me hate it more than Firefly fans. They just can't give it up. There's like 5 episodes you guys. Get over it.

Never!

Speaking of annoyingly pretentious fanboys, how have you been? I'm glad you never got killed btw.

Speaking of annoyingly pretentious fanboys, how have you been? I'm glad you never got killed btw.

Glad to hear it.

But I'm still not totally out of the woods on that one. I actually am sealing my home purchase records so that guy can't find me. I'm basically not going to be out of the woods on that one until he's dead.