What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

This is one of the challenges of unions. All too often the union leadership itself does not have the best interest of the workers at heart. They care about 2 things: 1) secure the next contract, as long term as possible and 2) if the state allows, make it a closed shop so everyone is forced to join and a third I guess would be 3) make it mandatory for dues to be collected through automatic paycheck deduction. I had a union leader tell me this directly in a candid moment. They would give up all kind of stuff if it were a closed shop and the dues were collected through payroll deductions, so it was out of the hands of the workers. That secures the union's profitability, and in the end that is really all they care about.
In Utah they can't make it a closed shop but this particular union has illegally stopped people from leaving. The dues are collected automatically and the worker can't stop those payments, only the union.

In Utah they can't make it a closed shop but this particular union has illegally stopped people from leaving. The dues are collected automatically and the worker can't stop those payments, only the union.
Yeah that's rough, imo that shouldn't be allowed. The employee should be the one making those decisions.

Roughly 1 in 5 Americans believe it’s more important for America to have a strong leader than to be a democracy. (Guess they never heard the Republic or Democracy lecture).

View: https://twitter.com/teamtrace/status/1549774300831514625

https://twitter.com/teamtrace/status/1549774300831514625

Last edited:
Roughly 1 in 5 Americans believe it’s more important for America to have a strong leader than to be a democracy. (Guess they never heard the Republic or Democracy lecture).

Well at least it isn't very many. 1 in 5 isn't bad imo. I would have thought it to be more than that

75% of Democrats want someone besides Biden to run. I'm right there with them. I think he needs to not seek a second term because he isn't going to get one, regardless.

75% of Democrats want someone besides Biden to run. I'm right there with them. I think he needs to not seek a second term because he isn't going to get one, regardless.
Not sure if this is the right time for an ugly primary fight though.

Well at least it isn't very many. 1 in 5 isn't bad imo. I would have thought it to be more than that
It’s enough if that 1 in 5 show up and vote for the strong man. 2 don’t even show up. And the remaining 2 split their votes among different candidates because inflation, gas, and the Democratic candidate isn’t perfect. Especially if the citizens supporting the strong man live in key electoral college states.

Trump never won a majority. But in 2016 he needed just 70,000 voters in the upper Midwest to give him a chance. In 2020 it was a popular vote blowout of 7+ million but still closer because voters who want a strong man really showed up In key electoral college states, like Michigan, Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania. Fortunately, there weren’t quite enough deplorables for him to win again.

Biden has COVID

Wonder if he’ll drink Lysol or stick a flashlight up his ***? He should take a joy ride with the secret service to greet his adoring followers. He should have the doctor lie about his treatments. When released from the hospital, he should rip off the mask and rock a super man T shirt.

Don’t let Covid dominate you!

How much of this could be attributed to Christianity? Namely, fundamentalists influenced by the likes of Rushdoony who want a strong man to “whip Americans into shape” to usher in the millennium?

As a country, we owe it to ourselves to do better than Biden vs. Trump 2.0.

Anyone but these two. Come on America, let’s pull together and at least dare to be different.
We’re battling an authoritarian movement. It’s not just Trump on the right but DeSantis. Republicans will march lock step with whoever the strongman is that emerges with the party’s nomination. The only way this goes south is if DeSantis wins in a primary and Trump runs as an independent.

While Biden isn’t ideal, is right now really the time to play fire with an ugly primary?

How much of this could be attributed to Christianity? Namely, fundamentalists influenced by the likes of Rushdoony who want a strong man to “whip Americans into shape” to usher in the millennium?
Some percentage have come to see Trump at least, as God’s intended, but I also think human psychology is such that there will always be people who feel more comfortable with authoritarian leaders. Perhaps especially in highly stressful and unstable times.

We’re battling an authoritarian movement. It’s not just Trump on the right but DeSantis. Republicans will march lock step with whoever the strongman is that emerges with the party’s nomination. The only way this goes south is if DeSantis wins in a primary and Trump runs as an independent.

While Biden isn’t ideal, is right now really the time to play fire with an ugly primary?
YES! This is the time for Democrats to stand for something and inspire their base just a little bit.

Not just now, but after the midterms is a different story. Take a real beating in the midterms, and there will be the usual soul searching, which is already a work in progress right now where Biden is concerned.

Really a perilous time in American history. Potentially: a former president, under indictment for crimes related to the 2020 election, while running for 2024. And if too many Republicans start to seriously look for the lifeboats if he’s indicted, he’ll dump the entire party as disloyal, and believe in his supporters ability to deliver him as an independent.

YES! This is the time for Democrats to stand for something and inspire their base just a little bit.
A couple of things:

1. Have Democrats not been standing for things?
2. Opening things up for a primary is a huge gamble. What often is supported by the base and by the majority of Americans, might not be supported by key swing state voters who are more inclined to have a strong man who promises to make every one of their dreams come true. What is obvious to you might not be obvious to those in Penn or Mich who still think car factories circa 1950 are coming back.

Also, demographics. While most Americans have no problem with blacks, gays, and women, obviously plenty of others do. So if/when the primary opens up, will low info/avg voters be scared off by the nonsense? Democrats have a lot of promising candidates who are women, black, gay, centrist and liberal. You don’t think your avg/low info voter might think twice to vote for Mayor Pete bc they’ve been fed for 2+ years that all gays are tranny track pedos looking to rape your child in every public bathroom and read them LGBT books during Draq Queen story hour?

Am I saying that I fear that America isn’t ready for another black president? Or for its first woman president or openly gay president? It just might be when we’re facing down the barrel of an authoritarian Trump or fascist DeSantis. Do we want to find out? It’s risky. Especially since you know that FB algorithm is gonna be working in OT promoting thee most revolting disinformation about the election. Not to mention bad actors like Putin who might see Trump as their only way out of the hubris they’ve created in Ukraine.

3. I think base voters should be excited to vote for any Dem in 2024. It’s better for a Democratic corpse to occupy the White House than Trump or DeSantis. We can worry about passing the next round of health care policy later. Right now we are trying to keep authoritarians from ending American democracy.

You know what I do wish more base voters cared about? Local elections. Much can be done at the state level. How many voters blame Biden but can’t even tell you who their governor is? And wouldn’t it be nice to have more Senators in the Senate? Instead, Biden’s entire agenda is held hostage by Manchinema. FDR couldn’t pass anything in this Senate where Repubs say no to everything and Manchinema are bought off. Makes me wonder if it would actually be better for us to lose the presidency but hold onto the Senate? Then again, authoritarians don’t need the Senate. They’ll still find ways to consolidate power.

Last edited:
How many other 85 year old white men can there be?
He’s so old.

But you know if kamala runs she’ll be blasted for being a black woman.

If mayor Pete runs he’ll be blasted for being gay. He’ll be smeared as being a tranny track pedo who wants to read drag Queen story hour to your precious child.

Klobuchar will be blasted for being a woman. Same with whitmer.

Chris Murphy? East coast elitist who doesn’t understand those Midwest bubbas who are true Americans (the only Americans who are true!).

Same with Gavin Newsom except he’s a west coast elitist.

Phil Murphy, Jared Polis, Cooper are “boring centrists.” We need exciting tik tok movie stars! Trump is just so exciting, it’s like watching WWE yipee!

Democrats are in a bind. We all know 40 percent of voters will vote for Trump/DeSantis no matter what. They want a strong man to grant them all of their desires and hurt their enemies. Americans have never been more ignorant/misinformed via social media. Add the fact that Trump will suck all the air out of the room and foreign enemies will be working overtime to help Trump win, and 2024 has real potential to be a ***********.

I think there’s real risk in opening up a bloody primary. It’ll take time for Dems to sort things out since there isn’t an obvious candidate for Biden to pass the torch off to. All while the right coalesces around Trump (if he declares). And it’ll give the media plenty of time to drag Democratic candidates and kill their campaigns before they even get started. The media craves a strong man. They’re so much more interesting to cover than boring centrist leaders who actually like… want to govern rather than throw **** at people.