What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Just checked my 401k. Rate Of Return Year To Date is at 13.8%
not sure how that compares to other years but doesn't seem too bad.

Nice! Inflation is going to eat a chunk of it as that is a raw dollar, not an adjusted dollar, calculation but still it is good.
Yep, it always does. inflation sucks but is a constant unfortunately

Maher noted that Johnson falsely claims “the separation of church and state is a misnomer. And Congresswoman Lauren Boebert concurred, saying she’s ‘tired of this separation of church and state junk.’ So too Marjorie Taylor Greene who says, ‘I say it proudly, we should all be Christian nationalists.'”

“Now I know it may seem like this is just a few crazies,” Maher said, acknowledging a common response from people who don’t take the threat seriously, “but I gotta tell you, dumbass Republicans who believe horrible ideas are like ants. There’s always more than you can see.”

“Republicans,” Maher continued, “Jesus f–king Christ. First you stopped believing in democracy. Senator Mike Lee said it, among others. Trump lives the idea every day. And here we have the speaker of the House saying it, and now Republicans also don’t believe in the separation of church and state. Does anyone in that party remember what f–king country you’re living in?”

“We’re the place that stakes so much of our greatness on being the first to specifically prohibit having a state religion. There are dozens of countries that have an official religion. There’s 13, where being an atheist is punishable by death.”

right now I’ve got my hands full with Mike Johnson,” Maher said. “Johnson has the power to actually make laws, and I don’t want my global warming policy decided by someone who was rooting for the end of the world so we can get on with the Rapture.”

“Mike says we began as a Christian nation,” Maher continued. “We didn’t. Did you miss that day in homeschool Mike? If you don’t know that the Pilgrims came here to get away from the Church of England, then you don’t know literally the first thing about our country.”

“Mike says being a Christian nation is our tradition and it’s who we are as a people. It’s not,” Maher said as he neared his conclusion. “We’re the people who have a First Amendment which says Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. And we have an Article Six, which says no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office.”

“So I take these people at their word when they say that they think we should be Christian nationalists. But then they have to take John Adams at his word, when he wrote, ‘The government of the United States of America is not in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.’

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Maher noted that Johnson falsely claims “the separation of church and state is a misnomer. And Congresswoman Lauren Boebert concurred, saying she’s ‘tired of this separation of church and state junk.’ So too Marjorie Taylor Greene who says, ‘I say it proudly, we should all be Christian nationalists.'”

“Now I know it may seem like this is just a few crazies,” Maher said, acknowledging a common response from people who don’t take the threat seriously, “but I gotta tell you, dumbass Republicans who believe horrible ideas are like ants. There’s always more than you can see.”

“Republicans,” Maher continued, “Jesus f–king Christ. First you stopped believing in democracy. Senator Mike Lee said it, among others. Trump lives the idea every day. And here we have the speaker of the House saying it, and now Republicans also don’t believe in the separation of church and state. Does anyone in that party remember what f–king country you’re living in?”

“We’re the place that stakes so much of our greatness on being the first to specifically prohibit having a state religion. There are dozens of countries that have an official religion. There’s 13, where being an atheist is punishable by death.”

right now I’ve got my hands full with Mike Johnson,” Maher said. “Johnson has the power to actually make laws, and I don’t want my global warming policy decided by someone who was rooting for the end of the world so we can get on with the Rapture.”

“Mike says we began as a Christian nation,” Maher continued. “We didn’t. Did you miss that day in homeschool Mike? If you don’t know that the Pilgrims came here to get away from the Church of England, then you don’t know literally the first thing about our country.”

“Mike says being a Christian nation is our tradition and it’s who we are as a people. It’s not,” Maher said as he neared his conclusion. “We’re the people who have a First Amendment which says Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. And we have an Article Six, which says no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office.”

“So I take these people at their word when they say that they think we should be Christian nationalists. But then they have to take John Adams at his word, when he wrote, ‘The government of the United States of America is not in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.’

Making the warden of the prison in the Shawshank Redemption, speaker of the House, probably wasn’t a great move. This guy is so out of touch with mainstream aka Real America. A lot of what he says is even too conservative for my LDS ward, and that’s saying something.

I’m really uncomfortable with the idea that America should be a Christian nation or will be a Christian nation. What if someone believes differently? And there are a lot of grey areas that Christianity doesn’t have answers for. Christianity shouldn’t be looked at as the sole source for policy. Especially in an age where there are thousands of nuclear weapons.

I’m really uncomfortable with the idea that America should be a Christian nation or will be a Christian nation. What if someone believes differently? And there are a lot of grey areas that Christianity doesn’t have answers for. Christianity shouldn’t be looked at as the sole source for policy. Especially in an age where there are thousands of nuclear weapons.
Here’s an excellent read. Chilling, because it’s just not hard to realize this “blood and soil Christian nationalism” isn’t Christian, and is fertile ground for American fascism, it’s the cultural substrate, American version, that supports the growth of fascism, while preventing many from realizing that, from seeing it, since they’ve embedded their nationalism in their “religion” and literally “don’t know what they do”, meaning they will support the cruelties that fascism can spawn. And Trump is as effective a mad leader as any in recent history. All happening before our eyes, while so many are totally blind.

Alexander Hamilton:

“When a man unprincipled in private life, desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper, possessed of considerable talents but despotic in his ordinary demeanor—known to have scoffed in private at the principles of liberty—when such a man is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity—to join in the cry of danger to liberty—to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion—to flatter and fall in with all the nonsense of the zealots of the day—It may justly be suspected that his object is to throw things into confusion that he may ‘ride the storm and direct the whirlwind".

Alexander Hamilton:

“When a man unprincipled in private life, desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper, possessed of considerable talents but despotic in his ordinary demeanor—known to have scoffed in private at the principles of liberty—when such a man is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity—to join in the cry of danger to liberty—to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion—to flatter and fall in with all the nonsense of the zealots of the day—It may justly be suspected that his object is to throw things into confusion that he may ‘ride the storm and direct the whirlwind".

Damn. That is accurate

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

At least part of the problem is folks not seeing what is happening, while it’s happening. So, when we look back on past events, we may find ourselves saying things like “what were they thinking?”, “how could they not have seen through such a transparent con?”etc.. The old hindsight is 20/20. And in any modern democracy, a significant % of electorate favor authoritarians.

View: https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/173230243068187068

Damn. That is accurate
Yes. The founders were quite insightful, but that quote is being misused. It isn't a warning against Trump per se but a warning against democracy, or what Hamilton more artfully termed the "hobby horse of popularity". It is democracy that Hamilton sees as a "danger to liberty". What Hamilton is trying to say is easier to understand if you don't pull the quote from its context and include the line three sentences earlier which starts "The truth unquestionably is, that the only path to a subversion of the republican system of the Country is..."

The United States is a republic. We are not a democracy which the founders viewed as a danger to liberty. Hamilton really drives his point home by adding "No popular Government was ever without its Catalines & its Cæsars."

Last edited:
Yes. The founders were quite insightful, but that quote is being misused. It isn't a warning against Trump per se but a warning against democracy, or what Hamilton more artfully termed the "hobby horse of popularity". It is democracy that Hamilton sees as a "danger to liberty". What Hamilton is trying to say is easier to understand if you don't pull the quote from its context and include the line three sentences earlier which starts "The truth unquestionably is, that the only path to a subversion of the republican system of the Country is..."

The United States is a republic. We are not a democracy which the founders viewed as a danger to liberty. Hamilton really drives his point home by adding "No popular Government was ever without its Catalines & its Cæsars."

Trump's ego is hurt that you said that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

37 % ouch

"A 71% majority of Americans rate economic conditions in the country as poor, with 38% calling them very poor. That marks an improvement from the summer of 2022, when 82% saw the economy as poor, but remains far worse than Americans’ pre-pandemic assessments of the economy. Views of the future are only slightly more optimistic than views of the present, with 61% expecting the economy to remain poor a year from now.

By a 10-point margin, Americans say their views on the economy align more closely with the Republican Party than with the Democratic Party; they also side with the GOP over the Democrats on crime and policing (by a 14-point margin), immigration (by 14 points) and America’s role in world affairs (by 6 points). But the public sides with the Democrats by similar margins on a slate of other issues: abortion (by 16 points), climate change (by 13 points), voting rights and election integrity (by 8 points) and education (by 5 points). Americans are more closely split on which party’s vision for helping the middle class is closer to their own (35% feel closer to Democrats, 32% to Republicans). Those divides follow a similar pattern as seen in polling last spring, in the run-up to the 2022 midterms."

I love Bill Maher, he's so on point usually.

the public sides with the Democrats by similar margins on a slate of other issues: abortion (by 16 points), climate change (by 13 points), voting rights and election integrity (by 8 points) and education (by 5 points).
No one cares about any of those issues except for abortion, but abortion is huge. That one issue is swinging elections. I'm sad because I'm on the other side of that argument but I can't deny the sheer power that one issue has in crushing everyone to the right of center politically.

No one cares about any of those issues except for abortion, but abortion is huge. That one issue is swinging elections. I'm sad because I'm on the other side of that argument but I can't deny the sheer power that one issue has in crushing everyone to the right of center politically.
Many people to the right of center support abortion rights, even to the point that it will impact their vote.

Would have been really easy for him to simply use the word democracy.

Also literally the first sentence is "when a man"
So he thinks democracy is a man. Gotcha. More bat ****

Everything in that quote is talking about a person doing something. Not a society or a group of people or a voting style.

You are probably keying on the word "popular" in that quote. As if you think that someone popular can't be elected by the Republic but only by a democracy or something.

Bat ****. Trump has made you think of the word democracy as some horrible evil word. He has done a number on you.

By the way you say in you post ""The truth unquestionably is, that the only path to a subversion of the republican system of the Country is..."
Why didn't you finish the sentence? I'm on the edge of my seat. How did he finish that sentence? Was it with the word democracy? What is the Republican system anyway? Is that the electoral college? Because I got news for ya, the popular vote (which I'm assuming means democracy to you) more often than not chooses the same winner as the electoral college.

Last edited:
Back