What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Even before the pandemic hit, test scores were falling.

Meanwhile the costs of this ever worsening education has been crazy.
You're saying that students are less prepared for college-level material, and the costs of college are going as they take in the less-prepared students. What a mystery!

These education costs have consequences with the youth of today being saddled with mountains of debt that cannot even be disposed in bankruptcy. There is far too much power in academia. They don't need more power and more privileges.
There is way too much spending. My community college is putting up a new building even though we've seen severe enrollment declines in the last decade. Other colleges around me are building dorms, gyms, and other facilities hoping to attract more students. Cafeterias are much nicer than when I went to college. These are things that are raising prices. DEI spending is a drop in the bucket by comparison.

I should have gone straight into an MBA program right out of college. It was reasonable then and I had looked at several programs I could have afforded even on my first low salary. Now I'm at my peak earning and I can't touch an MBA program for anything remotely affordable even for what I make now. It's common for most state school MBA's now to cost into the 6 figures. On the low end they are 30k+. I'm not convinced that the kind of increases we are seeing are justified by actual costs incurred, even at the entry level. You don't hear much about major universities facing bankruptcy unless they raise prices.

My community college is putting up a new building even though we've seen severe enrollment declines in the last decade. Other colleges around me are building dorms, gyms, and other facilities hoping to attract more students. Cafeterias are much nicer than when I went to college. These are things that are raising prices. DEI spending is a drop in the bucket by comparison.
Building new facilities at state run schools like your community college don't impact tuition prices because those funds come from bonds and accounts tied to the state budget. It increases taxes but not tuition. In a private school it could increase tuition in theory but in practice those buildings are almost always financed by donors who want their name on a building.

The majority of the rise in tuition prices is due to the out-of-control rise in non-teaching staff with another large culprit being marketing costs to attract students.
Growth-in-education-staffing-1.png

Biden also made a proposal for raising the debt ceiling months ago. You do understand how negotiations work, right?
There is a huge difference between making a proposal while issuing public declarations he was not open to any negotiations (which he was not for 89 days), and crafting a bill, getting the votes, and passing it though the House. The House Republicans passed a bill to raise the debt ceiling before going on vacation. All of the responsibility for the mess we are in lays at the feet of President No-Negotiations and Senator Do-Nothing, both Democrats.

Does the quality of the of the bill and what it contains bear any responsibility or is crafting any old bill and getting the other party line voting politicians to vote for it count as a job well done?

Building new facilities at state run schools like your community college don't impact tuition prices because those funds come from bonds and accounts tied to the state budget. It increases taxes but not tuition. In a private school it could increase tuition in theory but in practice those buildings are almost always financed by donors who want their name on a building.
The initial building cost is financed. The building won't heat/cool itself, doesn't empty the wastebaskets, and doesn't charge admission to cover these expenses. That will come out of tuition.

The majority of the rise in tuition prices is due to the out-of-control rise in non-teaching staff with another large culprit being marketing costs to attract students.
I agree these are also significant contributors.

There is a huge difference between making a proposal while issuing public declarations he was not open to any negotiations (which he was not for 89 days), and crafting a bill, getting the votes, and passing it though the House. The House Republicans passed a bill to raise the debt ceiling before going on vacation.
Biden has continually proposed an unaccompanied debt ceiling increase, which happened three times under the prior administration. That was his position. McCarthy's House made their position in April, and there has been bargaining ever since. How do you negotiate with an entity that has no position from which to negotiate?

All of the responsibility for the mess we are in lays at the feet of President No-Negotiations and Senator Do-Nothing, both Democrats.
Wishful thinking.

Does the quality of the of the bill and what it contains bear any responsibility or is crafting any old bill and getting the other party line voting politicians to vote for it count as a job well done?

The Speaker of the House gets the bill through committee, wrangles the votes, gets the bill passed in the House, and then the bill goes to the Senate. If there is anything about the bill the Senate does not like then they make changes to the bill and pass the modified version. Then the Senate bill goes back to the House, and back and forth until both the House and Senate agree.

The House has done their job. The bill got out of committee. The votes were wrangled and the bill passed the House. The Senate then did nothing. No alterations, no negotiations, nothing. There is no Senate bill for the House to evaluate. Senator Chuck Schumer has done nothing and refused any movement. Until a few days ago, Biden refused any negotiations and Chuck Schumer took his lead from that. Naturally there was polling done and it showed the public was seeing Democrats as being at fault for the impasse, and so Biden did a 180 and started negotiations. Senator Chuck Schumer has still done absolutely nothing.

Kevin McCarthy and the House GOP cannot do Senator Chuck Schumer and President Joe Biden's job for them. If they don't like the House bill then they need to amend it in a way that can get though the Senate, and then it can go back to the House for another vote. That is how the negotiation process works. It doesn't work by refusing to vote and publicly announcing that you will not negotiate as Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden did.

Votes were wrangled lol. What was the vote count between republicans in the house vs democrats?

Democratic and Republican negotiators struggled on Friday to reach a deal to raise the US government $31.4tn debt ceiling, as a key Republican cited disagreements over work requirements for some benefit programs for low-income Americans.

Talks had been reported to be close to conclusion, as lawmakers sought to avoid a disastrous and unprecedented default. Wall Street and European shares rose as the White House and congressional Republicans worked on the final touches of a package to present to Congress.

Negotiators appeared to be nearing a deal to lift the limit for two years and cap spending, with agreement on funding for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the military, Reuters quoted a US official as saying.

“We have made progress,” the lead Republican negotiator, Garret Graves, told reporters. “I said two days ago, we had some progress that was made on some key issues, but I want to be clear, we continue to have major issues that we have not bridged the gap on chief among them work requirements.”

Democrats indicated Joe Biden was willing to consider spending cuts, including to planned extra funding for the IRS, a target of rightwing attacks, the Washington Post reported. Citing an anonymous official, Reuters said the deal would raise the ceiling for two years “while capping spending on everything but military and veterans”.

Any deal would have to pass the House and Senate, which typically takes days to complete.

Republicans raised the ceiling without preconditions three times under Donald Trump, while adding to the debt with tax cuts and spending rises.

But McCarthy has only a five-seat majority and is beholden to the far right of his party, which is demanding stringent cuts.

On Thursday the White House press secretary, Karine Jean-Pierre, told reporters: “We’re fighting against Republicans’ extreme, devastating proposal that would slash … law enforcement, education, food assistance, all of these things are critical to American families who are just trying to make ends meet.
Now, some on the Republican right, including Trump, the former president and current presidential frontrunner, say the party should let the US default if Biden refuses to cave.

Biden has not been silent. On Thursday, at the White House, he said Republicans wanted “huge cuts” that would hurt ordinary Americans.

“It’s time for Congress to act, now,” he said, adding: “Under my administration, we’ve already cut the deficit by $1.7tn in our first three years. But Speaker McCarthy and I have a very different view of who should bear the burden of additional efforts to get our fiscal house in order.

“I don’t believe the whole burden should fall on the backs of middle-class and working-class Americans. My House Republican friends disagree.”

Kind of a different vibe than a certain poster has been portraying. Seems like negotiating is happening contrary to his portrayal. Not shocking as said poster is wrong so often.

Reactions: Red
At what point do we acknowledge they are all just playing with Monopoly money in this?

That is nice but education isn't for educators. The woke culture nearly ubiquitous in academia which is imposing things like Social Emotional Leaning and Identity Studies are having a system-wide negative impact. Even before the pandemic hit, test scores were falling.

Test-Scores-Falling.gif

Meanwhile the costs of this ever worsening education has been crazy.

College-Costs.gif

These education costs have consequences with the youth of today being saddled with mountains of debt that cannot even be disposed in bankruptcy. There is far too much power in academia. They don't need more power and more privileges.
Reminds me of an infamous quote from the Vietnam War: “we had to destroy the village in order to save it”. This sounds like “we need to destroy higher education in order to save it….from the Woke virus”. Extremely regressive, and, in the long run, doomed to fail, along with all the other reactionary lurches plaguing our nation at this time. Every last one destined to fail in the long run.

Reminds me of an infamous quote from the Vietnam War: “we had to destroy the village in order to save it”. This sounds like “we need to destroy higher education in order to save it….from the Woke virus”. Extremely regressive, and, in the long run, doomed to fail, along with all the other reactionary lurches plaguing our nation at this time. Every last one destined to fail in the long run.
Maybe it is destined to fail. Maybe education will continue to get ever more expensive, ever more bigoted, and kids will continue to get ever dumber with each passing year. I still think fighting hard against that trend is a worthwhile endeavor, and you never know, maybe technology will get good enough that we can replace these awful school staffers with far more effective AI-derived educators to get the costs under control.

Glad we’re avoiding default!

And Repubs are weeping about it too!

View: https://twitter.com/repnancymace/status/1663510647190040578?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

View: https://twitter.com/maxpcohen/status/1662830860368850945?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

* Professional
* Smart
* Tough

Words that’ll never describe Donald. I’m definitely not tired from all of this winning! Biden is running circles around Republicans. Not bad for a dementia ridden president who can’t find his pants! Can’t wait to vote MAGA out in 2024 and hand Donald and his cult another big L.

They’re saying the quiet part out loud. LOL

It was never actually about fiscal discipline. Otherwise, repealing the Trump tax cuts would’ve been an option. Have a problem with deficits? Looking at revenue should always be an option. It was always about wrecking the economy for trump. But when Republican donors on Wall Street saw that that might actually happen, they got Quevin to cave to Biden.

And now his MAGA caucus is bigly angry!