The Conley Conundrum

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Eenie-Meenie, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    What do we with Conley? I along with several other posters have thought all along that Donovan should be the point. But we farted around with the hope that Dante would be that guy and brought in Ricky and now Conley while we waited for him. Now we have three guards who can score in Donovan, Clarkson, and Mudiay. What we need is a good backup point guard who can play defense and a legit PF who can backup Rudy at C -- maybe Favors next year. But Conley is not a backup; would he accept backup minutes? I can't see Mike fitting in with our team the way it is now constructed.

2. kabenac

kabenac Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Assuming he opts-in for next season, I think we'll be able to move him at next year's trade deadline as his contract coming off the books is what another team's GM loves.

Maybe Conley will play better off the bench. Of course, that looks bad when he's getting paid 30+M a season but I'd rather have him out of the way where he can't mess up our starting-5 offense.

Release the Kraken likes this.
  3. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    Conley isn’t getting moved. You guys just watched a 5 year Dante saga where on paper he gave us nothing. DL took out second and third mortgages on his house to get Conley. Somebody please provide a cogent reason of why the FO will deal him. Please don’t argue why you think the FO will deal him, but rather the arguments why the FO will deal him.

Conley is here to stay. If the FO ends up thinking it’s a mistake, their rectification will come by letting him expire. But more likely he’ll come back on a much reduced contract.

ghsartin, Rubashov, DasJazz and 3 others like this.
  4. jom2003

jom2003 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2014
    I think we should deal the FO.

DL needs to step down for his poor judgment on Dante and Conley. And take those one year rental of PGs with him.

5. jom2003

jom2003 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2014
    Conley is clearly a mistake. You simply don't take the ball out of your franchise star. Just imagine where Harden would be had Rockets kept him at a tertiary role that he once served at OKC. Or if Giannis would become the MVP he is now had Bucks not invested in surrounding him with four shooters and gave the ballhandling role to Middleton/Jabari instead.

Funny how Mavs desperately tried to get rid of their midget ball hog PG last season to pave the way for Luka. And we've done the exact opposite

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  6. Eminence

Eminence Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    He doesn't have an obvious fit on our current roster (especially with recent moves), but it's really hard to move a player on that contract who isn't playing very well. Saving OKC money in a CP3 deal is the only thing I've seen proposed that makes some sense for both squads. Maybe there's something with Miami where we take back a bad contract with Winslow to get them under the luxury tax (something like Winslow/Olynyk/whichever of Waiters/Johnson they prefer to get rid of, with a couple of our min type guys included). I guess if Chicago really wants to make the playoffs (I don't know why they would) for Porter.

7. Tom349

Tom349 Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Conley will prove his worth in the playoffs. All well and good to rely on outside shooting during the regular season but come playoffs when Mitchell needs help breaking down opposing it will be Conley giving him the help he hasn't had the last two seasons.

8. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    He’s gonna opt out.

We’ll max Klay, sign Augustin to the full MLE, extend Royce and Clarkson, and trade Davis to a team with the space for nothing.

Mitchell-Augustin
    Thompson-Clarkson-Oni
    Bogdanovic-O’Neale
    Ingles-Green-Brantley
    Gobert-Morgan-Bradley

9. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Another reason to start playing Brantley and if possible, Morgan, is to increase their value. The only reason we got Mitchell was because Lyles played as a rookie and Denver saw value in him. It would be nice to increase their trade value so that if a similar opportunity presents itself in 2020, we can pursue it.

jumpin bean likes this.
  10. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    DL is tied up in JZ’s basement... so who knows what could happen.

vegas, NUMBERICA and Ostertag>Duncan like this.
  11. Release the Kraken

Release the Kraken Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Whether we refer to Mitchell as the point guard or Ingles, I think it’s pretty clear by now that those two know how to play together. And I agree with you that Conley being inserted back into the starting unit ***** with that dynamic. Our best play is to sell Conley on a sixth man role, as ridiculous as it may sound and then see if he chooses to opt back in come Summer. I doubt there are any trades out there that benefit us and trading for CP3 would only turn it into a total **** **** disaster!

jumpin bean likes this.
  12. JazzyFresh

JazzyFresh Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    We let it ride and hope he stays healthy. Once acclimated and once he finds his groove he becomes the player we signed to take that next step.

Douchebag K and DasJazz like this.
  13. Truth

Truth Active Member

Sep 19, 2018
    This is loosely what I was saying in another thread, which caused NAOS to accuse me of being an alt for somebody else. So am I an alt of Eenie Meenie? Whaddya think NAOS?? Hmm

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  14. tfivas

tfivas Well-Known Member 2019 Prediction Contest Winner

Feb 10, 2013
    Klay just signed a 5 year $190m contract in July

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  15. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    We double sign him... weird part of the CBA that has not been used... we only pay half the salary but only get him half the time.

16. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    Honestly… he kinda needs to come off the bench. It'd be hard for him to do, but maybe... just maybe we do it by bringing him off the bench while he's rehabbing... then it works so well that we guilt him into the role. Most of my relationships are built on guilt... I don't see any issue with this.

17. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Maybe Conley would go for 10 minutes with the starters and 15 with the bench, that way Donovan would play 30 minutes with the starters and five or less with bench guys. That way, Donovan would get 30-35 minutes, Conley 25, and Clarkson and Mudiay 20 each. -- approximate numbers. So, we have scoring, penetrating guards playing 100 minutes, maybe more if one of them is hot -- that would mean sometimes have a 3-guard lineup which does cause havoc for defenses. It makes you realize how much more potent the Jazz are now that they added Clarkson -- it not only takes pressure off Donovan but Mudiay as well.

18. rjfan

rjfan Active Member

Nov 1, 2018
    And if Conley is fitting once he's back (and sincerely, considering the lighter upcoming schedule till we play the pacers on 20th january, a month after his last try to comeback, we aren't in a rush for him to return before the sequence that starts there), one of Mudiay or Clarkson is pretty much movable, maybe alongside Davis or whoever else could be in some package for improvements for our pf and/or center situations.

19. The mailman

The mailman Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2018
    It’s pretty obvious that DM and Ingles can handle the PG duties, but hopefully this time off the court is helping Conley understand what’s required of him once he returns.

20. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Mudiay in no way needs 20 minutes a game at the sacrifice of Conley. Get all the way out of here with that BS.

Jingled likes this.