What's new

The Conley Conundrum

I would bring Conley off the bench for 2-3 games, let him get loose, let people get used to playing with him, then bring him into the starting lineup with an early sub for Royce.

That would be good. If I remember well last season Rubio was coming off the bench first game when he came back after his hamstring injury.

I would bring Conley off the bench for 2-3 games, let him get loose, let people get used to playing with him, then bring him into the starting lineup with an early sub for Royce.
If it worked well you could then have the conversation about it being permanent without it being a massive slap in the face... I would have the early sub be for Joe or DM though.

I get the argument of a guy not wanting to come off the bench... I get that he's definitely one of our 5 best guys... It would just make so much sense to have him coming off the bench with how this season has unfolded. He's already got all the monies... I don't think its a crazy ask if it worked...

If he came back and we struggled... and then we ask him to come off the bench it would be seen as a demotion.

If it worked well you could then have the conversation about it being permanent without it being a massive slap in the face... I would have the early sub be for Joe or DM though.

I get the argument of a guy not wanting to come off the bench... I get that he's definitely one of our 5 best guys... It would just make so much sense to have him coming off the bench with how this season has unfolded. He's already got all the monies... I don't think its a crazy ask if it worked...

If he came back and we struggled... and then we ask him to come off the bench it would be seen as a demotion.
Maybe, but I think the bigger thing happening here is that we're all living high on the feel-goodz of beating up on teams we should beat. Keep in mind we're playing a lot of these teams tight when they should be blowouts, sans last night, so there's a bit of fool's gold where we're thinking we are really rolling when perhaps we really aren't (at least as well as we assume). So while we're enamored with the idea of status quo, that belief can be shattered even quicker than it was built. As soon as we start dropping a few games we should win, or having some massively disappointing blowups and egg-layers, people are going to be understanding what Dan Fogelberg meant when he sang about how he "felt that old familiar pain."

I still believe in Conley, I don't think he's fallen off a cliff or is washed up, I think basically he's just missing shots that he's been making his whole career and I believe they will start to fall eventually. I must admit though, I'm very nervous about integrating him back into the lineup.

Our current starting lineup has the best net rating in the NBA and they are playing with such a great rhythm and chemistry. I'm 100% sure Conley is going to be in the starting lineup and with the tear Joe's been on it would be silly to send him back to the bench. That means Royce will be the one coming off the bench. Without Royce in the starting and closing lineup we will lose valuable defense and rebounding, plus Royce doesn't need touches or the ball in his hands and only takes like 4 or 5 shots a game. Donovan and Joe are so great with the ball in their hands, and obviously Bogey needs a lot of touches as well. I just worry that adding Mike is going to leave us with too many guy's that need the ball to be successful.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I think the bigger thing happening here is that we're all living high on the feel-goodz of beating up on teams we should beat. Keep in mind we're playing a lot of these teams tight when they should be blowouts, sans last night, so there's a bit of fool's gold where we're thinking we are really rolling when perhaps we really aren't (at least as well as we assume). So while we're enamored with the idea of status quo, that belief can be shattered even quicker than it was built. As soon as we start dropping a few games we should win, or having some massively disappointing blowups and egg-layers, people are going to be understanding what Dan Fogelberg meant when he sang about how he "felt that old familiar pain."
I get that... but you aren't supposed to win all of those games... and some of those games are close in part because the bench let us down.

If you could set all the ego aside I think the best option would be bringing Mike off the bench. The starting lineup is murdering teams... and it makes sense. Everyone is at their optimal usage... I think that could get disrupted...

Bottom line I guess... if Mike is playing poorly when he comes back it will hurt us... which sucks.

So Clips have Harrell and Lou coming off the bench... they are better than their starter positional equivalents... why can't we ask Mike to come off the bench again? He's made all the money... he is considered a true pro and good guy... like he can see how good we are playing with that starting lineup... why come in and disrupt that while also sending a guy who still hasn't gotten paid to the bench?

It might limit his minutes and extend his career... He can still get minutes with the core guys... it just makes a lot of sense... We can do the token starter thing, but it seems so dumb.

Most of these games were on the road, and other than the Knicks, these teams have been playing well. 12 of 13 is NEVER a cakewalk, no matter the final scores.

When Conley comes back, Jazz will be going small with 3 guard lineups in second unit for 10-15 min per game. Our defensive and rebounding will suffer and we’ll have an abundance of scoring.

Conley was active in shootaround yesterday, and his status for tomorrow is GTD (Game Time Decision) on various sports apps and a bot that posts NBA injury reports. Not sure why that is, as the Jazz team account tweeted that he is out tomorrow vs Charlotte.

Conley was active in shootaround yesterday, and his status for tomorrow is GTD (Game Time Decision) on various sports apps and a bot that posts NBA injury reports. Not sure why that is, as the Jazz team account tweeted that he is out tomorrow vs Charlotte.
Hmm... let’s hope he can get a couple small reps while schedule is easy.

Most of these games were on the road, and other than the Knicks, these teams have been playing well. 12 of 13 is NEVER a cakewalk, no matter the final scores.
And the reason the games were close had nothing to do with the starters... at least most of the time.

Hmm... let’s hope he can get a couple small reps while schedule is easy.

Best case scenario if he's healthy enough to go. Get him back in rythm with the team and playing at a high level as soon as possible before the schedule gets tougher.

chris paul just balled the entire rockets team out of OKC... and people compared him to Conley lol

So Clips have Harrell and Lou coming off the bench... they are better than their starter positional equivalents... why can't we ask Mike to come off the bench again? He's made all the money... he is considered a true pro and good guy... like he can see how good we are playing with that starting lineup... why come in and disrupt that while also sending a guy who still hasn't gotten paid to the bench?

It might limit his minutes and extend his career... He can still get minutes with the core guys... it just makes a lot of sense... We can do the token starter thing, but it seems so dumb.
They tried Harrell as a starter and his production went way down. Lou Williams isn'tba starter because Lou doesn't want to play defense. They also lead the league in assist combo. Better to keep them together than have their touches go down with the starters. Even if it's for a few minutes at the start of the game and 2nd half. They were also never established starters.

He should come off the bench. Call it minute management. SLOWLY let him feel and watch the rejuvenated lineup. If he shows better fit, increase his minutes. If not, he stays on the bench, injured or not.

So here is my worry... The current starting lineup is a whopping +20 over 100 possessions... replace Mike for Ingles and they were +16...

The projected starting lineup once Conley comes back is -2 (Ingles/DM/Conley/Bojan/Rudy)…. now this is likely before Joe found his groove, they were all adjusting, and the schedule was tougher... but I think it does hint at the balance that having Royce in with the starters provides.

You can't really bring Conley off the bench right? Good guy, but not sure he's that altruistic.

I'm curious to see what happens, but hopefully it doesn't disrupt our current rhythm too much. I think I'd try and talk him into coming off the bench as a rehab method to limit his minutes... if it was successful maybe then you can talk about bringing him off the bench... Manu was an effing hall of famer and did it much of his career.

If dude struggles when he comes back it could really create some issues.
I’m also worried about the closing lineup. I Royce’s defense and rebounding are really important in late game situations.

Gonna be some thought decisions. I hope everyone buys into whatever is best for the team. I still think Conley is a guy you are happy to have come playoff time.

I’m also worried about the closing lineup. I Royce’s defense and rebounding are really important in late game situations.

Gonna be some thought decisions. I hope everyone buys into whatever is best for the team. I still think Conley is a guy you are happy to have come playoff time.

The Jazz can play the best matchups that give them an advantage. We have never really had that luxury, even during the Stockalone years (unless you could swapping Shandon Anderson for Horny for that one finals run.)

The Jazz can play the best matchups that give them an advantage. We have never really had that luxury, even during the Stockalone years (unless you could swapping Shandon Anderson for Horny for that one finals run.)

That is what we should do... but the fact that Mike is a vet and established means that benching him at the end of a game becomes a storyline that we might look to avoid. Its similar to the token starts we gave Favors last year... those were to pacify Favs not for the benefit of the team.

I really think Mike off the bench is the best route if we aren't going to trade him. Sub him in for Ingles or DM early mid 1st quarter and then let DM and Conley run with the second unit... or Ingles/Conley/Clarkson in the second unit.

My initial thought last year when Rubio went out was that Ingles/DM backcourt worked just great and was kind of ideal... now that we can add Bojan to that starting mix it is absolutely working. Like the offense is the best in the NBA... I don't know that subbing Conley for Royce makes that group the besty best... like there are diminishing returns... and Royce is a much better defender than Conley.

I think Conley will be better than he has been... if he ever comes back, but I'm not sure we need the extra volume he can provide. Defensively I'm not sure we want to be that small to end games... the ball will be in DM's hands end of game anyway.

That is what we should do... but the fact that Mike is a vet and established means that benching him at the end of a game becomes a storyline that we might look to avoid. Its similar to the token starts we gave Favors last year... those were to pacify Favs not for the benefit of the team.

I really think Mike off the bench is the best route if we aren't going to trade him. Sub him in for Ingles or DM early mid 1st quarter and then let DM and Conley run with the second unit... or Ingles/Conley/Clarkson in the second unit.

My initial thought last year when Rubio went out was that Ingles/DM backcourt worked just great and was kind of ideal... now that we can add Bojan to that starting mix it is absolutely working. Like the offense is the best in the NBA... I don't know that subbing Conley for Royce makes that group the besty best... like there are diminishing returns... and Royce is a much better defender than Conley.

I think Conley will be better than he has been... if he ever comes back, but I'm not sure we need the extra volume he can provide. Defensively I'm not sure we want to be that small to end games... the ball will be in DM's hands end of game anyway.

They sat Horney down for a raw 2nd rounder in the playoffs in certain situations. Ultimately, there will be injury concerns. Rubio was hurt, Donovan got hurt, we need healthy dudes who can shoot the three in the rotation to beat Houston. We will probably need and use everyone we got. It is nice to have enough depth to finally get us past the freaking 5th seed.

If Donovan misses any time at all, we will be happy to have Conley. If Rudy gets hurt, we are screwed.