What's new

The Jazz are exactly were they were expected to be

I agree. At the same time though, I can see Corbin getting a bit better with his coaching in the last few games.
I just hope the trend continues.

I think that the Nawlins, Boston and Philly games were all winnable. That would make the Jazz 9-3 and the 3rd seed in the west right now.

yeah, there's no reason to panic at all. 6-6 is actually a decent record given the quality of opponents and the home/road slate.

as of 1/12, the jazz will have played 23 road games and only 13 at home. if they're at .500 on the morning of january 13th, they're going to the playoffs for sure, as from that point forward they'll have 28 home games and just 18 road. more than likely, they'll be a bit under .500 on 1/13, but they'll have a huge schedule advantage from that points forward.

I think that the Nawlins, Boston and Philly games were all winnable. That would make the Jazz 9-3 and the 3rd seed in the west right now.
no team wins 100% of its winnable games. nobody. much less a fairly middling team like these jazz.

yeah, there's no reason to panic at all. 6-6 is actually a decent record given the quality of opponents and the home/road slate.

as of 1/12, the jazz will have played 23 road games and only 13 at home. if they're at .500 on the morning of january 13th, they're going to the playoffs for sure, as from that point forward they'll have 28 home games and just 18 road. more than likely, they'll be a bit under .500 on 1/13, but they'll have a huge schedule advantage from that points forward.

Ding, ding. The Jazz are sitting pretty right now. The goal between now and 1/12 is .500 ball. Dominate at home, get better on the road. If the Jazz are .500 on 1/12, they will have a shot at a 4-5 seed. I say this, because if they are .500 in January, they will have learned to win on the road and will become a very dangerous team.

no team wins 100% of its winnable games. nobody. much less a fairly middling team like these jazz.

Obviously. However you are missing the point of my converstion in this thread. If you really want to know what it was then go back and read my posts. If not then that's cool to.

Your argument has too many straw man. Who are these so called experts who predicted the jazz would finish 8th. Are they the same experts who last year predicted we would have the worst or 2nd worst record? Im disappointed because i want the young guys tobplay more. When we lose with the old guys I have no hope for the future. Give the young guys more time. Give me hope the jazz can compete for the championship.

Your argument has too many straw man. Who are these so called experts who predicted the jazz would finish 8th. Are they the same experts who last year predicted we would have the worst or 2nd worst record? Im disappointed because i want the young guys tobplay more. When we lose with the old guys I have no hope for the future. Give the young guys more time. Give me hope the jazz can compete for the championship.

I've got $20 that says doubledribble is a Houston Suckettes fan who is chafing under the realization that Lin and Asik are who we thought they were. That is, not worth the contracts his team paid them in a laughable moment of desperation post-Dwight gaga.

But that is not true.

Before 2011-12 season a panel of ESPN experts projected the Jazz to finish 12th. They were actually 8th (+4)
Before 2010-11 season a panel of ESPN experts projected the Jazz to finish 7th. They were actually 11th (-4)
Before 2009-10 season a panel of ESPN experts projected the Jazz to finish 6th. They were actually 5th (+1)
Before 2008-9 season a panel of ESPN experts projected the Jazz to finish 4th. They were actually 8th (-4)

Only once in the last 4 seasons the Jazz significantly outperformed the expectations of the experts.

Youre quoting ESP****ingN as well as not mention the Sloan retirement and Dwill trade? Please delete your account

We are losing games we shouldn't, and haven't won any games we didn't expect to. It's early yet, but it's been disappointing.
We played well against the Lakers, and Rockets, but that was at home, and they were both tired teams missing stars.

Hopefully, we'll cream the Kings at home, and then crush them again in their arena.

We are losing games we shouldn't, and haven't won any games we didn't expect to. It's early yet, but it's been disappointing.
We played well against the Lakers, and Rockets, but that was at home, and they were both tired teams missing stars.

Hopefully, we'll cream the Kings at home, and then crush them again in their arena.

The opener against Dallas, at home, was a good game as well.

Good to know we went from all the experts and non Jazz NBA fans to just ESPN.
I think that the ESPN expert panels (that usually include 50-100 sports writers) are fairly representative of the opinion of all experts. Surely it is the most respected group of experts. It is harder with the fans: there are so many of them. However, if you can show me the aggregate statistics going back several seasons that demonstrate that the non Jazz nba fans consistently underestimate the performance of the Utah Jazz I will change my mind.

I think the Jazz haven't really figure themselves out yet.

I think we have figured the Jazz out... They are a team anchored around middle tier veterans (Williams, Foye, Williams, Millsap, Al) with a young core of backups trying to get minutes (Burks, Hayward, Favors, Kanter, and change).
If this is the way we arrange our team we will be anything but a mediocre team reaching for the last playoff spot.

The Jazz are sitting pretty right now......because if they are .500 in January, they will have learned to win on the road and will become a very dangerous team.

....exactly what Jazz team have you been watching? The poster who started this thread (double dribble, I believe) hit the nail on the head! I'll take it one step further. This Jazz team has no identity whatsoever! They are "plain Jane" to put it mildly. They basically do NOTHING well, and just a few things fair. They are about as hard to watch as any team in the NBA. They don't pass well (averaging what, 15 assists per game?) They throw the ball all over the place (averaging what, 17 turnovers a game?) They foul left and right. They shoot like a pathetic YMCA league team. Who in there right mind would actually pay good money to watch these clowns live and in color? This is as bad a Jazz team as I can remember or have ever seen. Yes, they are playing .500 ball, but it seems like they are playing .250 ball. Now, to the key expression in your post: "They will become a very dangerous team!"....have you been drinking??? Smoking dope??? With the talent they have and the coaching they have.....NOTHING is going to change! Absolutely NOTHING!

Before the start of the season most writers and fans expected the Jazz to be one of the three teams (Jazz, Mavs and Warriors) fighting for the last playoff spot with the understanding that Minnesota is a better team and will play better than that group. And lo and behold, currently we have the Jazz sitting at the 8th place between GSW and Dallas. The only unexpected thing is that Denver so far has been playing below their potential and they are currently in the 11th place.

Utah so far played exactly as expected: great at home (4-0), and bad on the road (2-6); decent against sub-.500 teams (4-2) and no match for the teams better than .500 (2-4). Most of the young players (Favors, Hayward, Kanter) improved somewhat, but not dramatically, the newcomers (Mo, Marvin, Foye) are playing on the same level as their previous careers indicated, Al and Millsap continue to be the focus of the offense, but, as has always been the case, keep having bad nights and retained their well-known defensive deficiencies.

So why so many people on this forum are despairing about the team's offense, coaching, Foye, Mo, Big Al etc.? The Jazz are exactly were most of the reasonable people expected them to be.

Thanks DD, good post and great topic. I remember back in the day, Frank Layden preached to that squad that if they could just play .500 ball on the road, they would be contenders. That is not that hard to imagine for this team either. If this year's team can figure out the road to the point that they can reach that .500 mark, we'll be in good shape. I think as they mature, we see the road get easier ... They have really not lost a step from last year's bottom rung playoff team even though they added so many new faces. The more they play together the better they will get as a team, if we can reach .500 ball on the road we'll be in the hunt for a middle of the pack playoff berth, with home court in the mix.

I think we have figured the Jazz out... They are a team anchored around middle tier veterans (Williams, Foye, Williams, Millsap, Al) with a young core of backups trying to get minutes (Burks, Hayward, Favors, Kanter, and change).
If this is the way we arrange our team we will be anything but a mediocre team reaching for the last playoff spot.

Bingo, you got it. This team is about playing it safe and consequently, they are mediocre. Sapperson will maybe get you an 8th but nothing more. But Ty is afraid of playing the youngsters and being even worse, at least for awhile.

I looked at the schedule at the start of the year. To this point the Jazz have won 1 game that most people thought they would loose (Lakers) and lost one game that most people thought they would win (Hornets). The rest I guessed correctly on. So the Jazz are sitting right were I thought they would be. Thats the good news.
The Bad is that this team definitely hasn't gelled like I thought they would and there still seems to be way to many questions that I thought would be answered by now.
I also wouldn't mind seeing the young guys getting more time. JMO