What's new

The Jazz have acquired the 13th pick and select Donovan Mitchell

I think he has the potential to be much more than "nice." If his D is as good as advertised, Mitchell and Exum could be our starters in a couple of years.

There is some Lillard offensively in this kid. There is potential for him to develop as a scoring option.

Agreed. And if defenses respect his jump shot he's only going to have more space to use his athleticism to get to the rim. His contested corner three (reminded me a bit of Sean Elliot's wild three but not as tough a shot - point is it's tough to hit off-balance threes and if Mitchell can it will be amazing) was pretty sweet. Here's his Syracuse highlights - it definitely showcases his three point shooting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjlHUPXq-Dc

Personally, I prefer the prior highlights as it shows him doing more, but his pull-up jumper in transition against Syracuse is pretty nice. And based on the videos it looks like he has a corner three - if Ingles returns Snyder can work on some plays that will create major spacing inside with Mitchell and Ingles in the corners.

He could be really good. Better offense than Marcus Smart and better defense than Eric Gordon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1InPTVMBLc

I'm getting pretty high on Mitchell's potential. I think he's going to be better than Luke Kennard, Malik Monk and possibly Dennis Smith Jr. He's a legit two-way player with elite length, strength, quickness and versatility. He's not the same level of shot maker as Damian Lillard coming out of Weber State, but he's got just about everything else. He could also improve his shooting percentages just by tweaking his shot selection.

Do you mean the 2nd highlighted line as in landing on the hop or after it? Or in general?

I meant to say landing/taking off with an internal rotation of the feet where the toes are pointed towards each other and closer than the heels. I mean this in general for anytime you are landing or taking off. This leads to knee injuries.

I didn't watch his highlights or preview vid is before the draft because I didn't believe the Jazz would get a chance to draft him. The more I see the more I like.

I had to talk myself into liking Exum, and Lyles but Mitchell is just naturally appealing. Every time I watch I feel giddy.

Hey Utah. Could we try to be a little less lame to the one dude who's happy to be here?

fzhFEuV.png

I meant to say landing/taking off with an internal rotation of the feet where the toes are pointed towards each other and closer than the heels. I mean this in general for anytime you are landing or taking off. This leads to knee injuries.

A totally random thought here, but could his tendency to point his toes in toward each other have any connection to a lack of effective one-footed jump?

A totally random thought here, but could his tendency to point his toes in toward each other have any connection to a lack of effective one-footed jump?
Possibly but my guess is it is just how he has been trained or just habit. But I'll be honest I have watched about 2 minutes of Mitchell. I know very little about him. It's just a common thing in young basketball players.

Possibly but my guess is it is just how he has been trained or just habit. But I'll be honest I have watched about 2 minutes of Mitchell. I know very little about him. It's just a common thing in young basketball players.

Is this something that can be easily fixed?

Is this something that can be easily fixed?
Yes, but like I said before I have not really watched much of Mitchell. It might not be a real problem. Just something I noticed in that workout video. His knees did track in a decent position which is a good sign I guess. I'll pay more attention in summer league.

I know some players are coached that way and feel more comfortable shooting that way. As long as the are externally rotating (even if they land with their feet internally rotated) when loading or loading to jump it's not as big of an issue. It's more a pet peeve of mine that I try and coach people out of early and often.

A kid as explosive as Mitchell really needs to train hard to prevent injuries and be very aware of his body when landing and more importantly when talking off. Burks could give him a good warning.

Although I will say it's shocking to me how long some issues get let go for. Favors still has a weak posterior chain that apparently according to him only started getting addressed this year properly.

Good strength training is important but so is teaching players how to move and reinforcing those movements so that happen on the court properly.