What's new

The Lakers are Going to End up as the #7 Seed

This lolzer was in an ad I got on social media:

Or perhaps this is LeBron’s way to send a message to get an unofficial bye for the play-in.
I noticed that Lebron joined the parade of media darlings who have complained about the play-in. As far as I’m aware, the list of said players includes only those who are at risk of playing in those games. Odd?

I noticed that Lebron joined the parade of media darlings who have complained about the play-in. As far as I’m aware, the list of said players includes only those who are at risk of playing in those games. Odd?
Its a huge homerun... you have like 6 more teams that now have something to play for until the season ends. Eliminates some tanking and some of the meaningless games. It will draw huge rating for the play in games too... especially if Steph and Lebron are involved.

its received universal praise... except for a couple players who happen to be involved.

I think the Lakers are completely beatable. My only worry would be the whistle those morons would inevitably get.

Its a huge homerun... you have like 6 more teams that now have something to play for until the season ends. Eliminates some tanking and some of the meaningless games. It will draw huge rating for the play in games too... especially if Steph and Lebron are involved.

its received universal praise... except for a couple players who happen to be involved.
It sure is a fun thing but I am not sure I would enjoy that idea if the Jazz were aroind the 6th spot now. I don't think it's the most fair system to be honest. Basically means those 72 games count differently for some teams. It also gives an extra rest advantage for top 2 seeds against their first round opponents. That said if I was LeBron I would shut up about it now.

I think the Lakers are completely beatable. My only worry would be the whistle those morons would inevitably get.
They will always get a whistle anyway so better play them when they are far from optimal shape.

I don’t think Dame has said anything. More respect to him.... on top of an already substantial amount.

If he has, then someone pls link.

Its a huge homerun... you have like 6 more teams that now have something to play for until the season ends. Eliminates some tanking and some of the meaningless games.

If anything, it makes games more meaningless. With so many teams making the playoffs, you don't have to try as hard. The Lakers are currently 4 games ahead of the Warriors in 9th. If there was no play-in, there'd be a real danger of them falling out of the playoffs, what with Schröder being in the protocol and out for a couple of weeks. LeBron would likely be playing tonight(he's not) and they might have rushed both him and AD back. With the play-in, all you have to do is make sure you finish above the 5 tanking teams and you're set. Let your star players nurse their injuries, and then count on them carrying you in the play-in.

If anything, it makes games more meaningless. With so many teams making the playoffs, you don't have to try as hard. The Lakers are currently 4 games ahead of the Warriors in 9th. If there was no play-in, there'd be a real danger of them falling out of the playoffs, what with Schröder being in the protocol and out for a couple of weeks. LeBron would likely be playing tonight(he's not) and they might have rushed both him and AD back. With the play-in, all you have to do is make sure you finish above the 5 tanking teams and you're set. Let your star players nurse their injuries, and then count on them carrying you in the play-in.
If they fall to 9th they are in a one game do or die against a motivated opponent... do you think that they are going to love walking into that situation? Makes it more meaningless? For who? Even if the Lakers don't care there are like 5-6 teams that do and are still fighting to the finish.

You saw it at the trade deadline too. Many teams didn't want to tear it down and call it quits... Chicago went all in (what a disaster). There are like 8 teams out of it... the more teams that are trying the more I think you can call this a success.

Not sure why Lebron would give such strong comments if he isn't worried about falling into the play in. If he could play he would be playing tonight. They have two days rest after today. He's hurt.

If they fall to 9th they are in a one game do or die against a motivated opponent... do you think that they are going to love walking into that situation? Makes it more meaningless? For who? Even if the Lakers don't care there are like 5-6 teams that do and are still fighting to the finish.

You saw it at the trade deadline too. Many teams didn't want to tear it down and call it quits... Chicago went all in (what a disaster). There are like 8 teams out of it... the more teams that are trying the more I think you can call this a success.

Not sure why Lebron would give such strong comments if he isn't worried about falling into the play in. If he could play he would be playing tonight. They have two days rest after today. He's hurt.
His foot is broken. Spinal.

With the Lakers having the issues they are, it might be better to face them in the first round. They will be more hobbled, not in sync, trying to play into their rhythm. Might be our best chance.

The way things are going for the Lakers right now, they could lose their play-in game and end up in the 8th seed.

I don't fear the Lakers team. I fear the NBA ratings struggling and see absolutely zero chance they allow the Jazz to beat the Lakers in the playoffs.
If you want to see blatant horrible officiating wait for this year's playoffs.
Imagine the finals of the Jazz vs the Bucks. Now imagine the Lakers-Clippers vs. Nets. The NBA is an entertainment company that has lost 40+% of viewers this season alone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

If they fall to 9th they are in a one game do or die against a motivated opponent... do you think that they are going to love walking into that situation? Makes it more meaningless? For who?

For whom? For everyone!

North American sports already have this problem where you don't win anything in regular season. All it does is determine seeding. I guess if you're talking about baseball, only a few teams make the playoffs, but this new NBA format means that 2/3 of the league make the playoffs. With home court advantage becoming less important over the past couple of decades, and with the current lack(mostly) of fans, it's not that important which seed you get. I'd argue that we've learned the past few years that teams are more concerned about match-ups than home court advantage.

82 games is a lot to simply determine which part of the bracket a team ends up in. That's why regular season is getting more and more meaningless. That's why there's load management and why we're probably past the days of seeing teams win 60+ games. There's simply no benefit to going for it. Making it even easier to make the playoffs just adds to it.

Sure, it may be exciting to see middling teams duke it out to see who makes it past the qualification round of playoffs , but if you're concerned at all about what regular season has become, it's not good news. It's just going to make even more of those 82 games inconsequential.

Hoping the Lakers can hold on and beat the Nuggets. Currently up 12 halfway through the 4th.