The Lakers are Going to End up as the #7 Seed

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
For whom? For everyone!

North American sports already have this problem where you don't win anything in regular season. All it does is determine seeding. I guess if you're talking about baseball, only a few teams make the playoffs, but this new NBA format means that 2/3 of the league make the playoffs. With home court advantage becoming less important over the past couple of decades, and with the current lack(mostly) of fans, it's not that important which seed you get. I'd argue that we've learned the past few years that teams are more concerned about match-ups than home court advantage.

82 games is a lot to simply determine which part of the bracket a team ends up in. That's why regular season is getting more and more meaningless. That's why there's load management and why we're probably past the days of seeing teams win 60+ games. There's simply no benefit to going for it. Making it even easier to make the playoffs just adds to it.

Sure, it may be exciting to see middling teams duke it out to see who makes it past the qualification round of playoffs , but if you're concerned at all about what regular season has become, it's not good news. It's just going to make even more of those 82 games inconsequential.
Agree to disagree.
I think it's awesome and fascinating watching how this is going to shake out.

The wizards have won like 14 of their last 16 or something. Hoping the play in tourney gets them into the playoffs and they give the top seeds in the east some trouble

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The Jazz Wonderbra

The game last night showed the play in format with the 9th team playing the 10th and the 7th playing the 8th. That seems weird. Why not 10 seed vs 7 seed and 8 / 9?

Also, LeBron is getting cranky in his old age. That tweet with the address of the police officer... not necessarily a move that promotes tolerance so much as more hate crime.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
The game last night showed the play in format with the 9th team playing the 10th and the 7th playing the 8th. That seems weird. Why not 10 seed vs 7 seed and 8 / 9?

Also, LeBron is getting cranky in his old age. That tweet with the address of the police officer... not necessarily a move that promotes tolerance so much as more hate crime.
Because the way that it works is that the winner of the 7/8 game goes into the playoffs, while the loser of that game plays the winner of the 9/10 game. Doing it that way rewards the teams with higher records, so being 8 rather than 9 allows you at least two games to win, whereas 9 and 10 both have to win two games to get into the playoffs.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

I'm usually a LeBron defender... he largely makes a lot of the right moves. But yeah wasn't on board with that tweet... His "whoever thought of the play in should be fired" is strong and dumb... because it is working.

I think the format was to reward the 7th and 8th team... winner of that game goes to the playoffs. Loser plays winner of the 9th and 10th. So you'd have to lose two games. Gives a big advantage to 7th and 8th. Adds a huge push for 6th... and hypothetically gives the #1 and #2 seed more rest and an advantage as well. I'm not sure how anyone objective can say it is bad.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Because the way that it works is that the winner of the 7/8 game goes into the playoffs, while the loser of that game plays the winner of the 9/10 game. Doing it that way rewards the teams with higher records, so being 8 rather than 9 allows you at least two games to win, whereas 9 and 10 both have to win two games to get into the playoffs.
the higher seed gets home court too. So the Lakers land 7th they have to lose two home games.

White Chocolate

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
I'm usually a LeBron defender... he largely makes a lot of the right moves. But yeah wasn't on board with that tweet... His "whoever thought of the play in should be fired" is strong and dumb... because it is working.

I think the format was to reward the 7th and 8th team... winner of that game goes to the playoffs. Loser plays winner of the 9th and 10th. So you'd have to lose two games. Gives a big advantage to 7th and 8th. Adds a huge push for 6th... and hypothetically gives the #1 and #2 seed more rest and an advantage as well. I'm not sure how anyone objective can say it is bad.

Totally agree. Doubt he’d say anything if he wasn’t in jeopardy of playing in the play-in game(s).