The NBA has a ratings problem

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by oneye, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Jazzta

Jazzta Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Bring 90’s refereeing back, make the game more physical.

2. nateboz

nateboz Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    It's easy to fix the NBA. I've said it for years, a true hard salary cap. 1 franchise tag per team per year.
    Fix the officials. Put 4 officials on the floor, make the refs aware of what an actual travel is, calling a moving screen, the block-charge, palming the ball. Ect.
    You ask ANY hardcore fan who isn't biased if the nba is rigged for stars and large markets and they'll tell you of course it is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Utesnjazz, SCS and str8line like this.
  3. Gameface

Gameface All-Jazzfanz First Team! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    You keep equating NBA popularity to their TV ratings. That's why we're telling you that the NBA doesn't have a popularity problem even if they do have a U.S. market TV ratings problem.

The world is changing. People in the U.S. are not watching TV the way they were 10 years ago. Especially when it comes to needing a traditional cable TV subscription with a sports package addon vs just watching a free stream.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

4. oneye

oneye Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

Dec 2, 2017
    Okay cool, when the largest form of revenue big enough to cover every NBA salary isn’t based on TV and it’s ratings let me know. Until then, you’re wrong.

5. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    This. There’s not much incentive to watch a league that’s player constantly lecture their customers, create all types of drama and seem like ungrateful, spoiled assholes...at least a lot of the biggest stars which is what they’re selling. You can like or hate the opinion but the NBA is the league of spoiled brats and entitled attitudes that don’t have the respect for their customers that they should.

6. Gameface

May 25, 2010
    I'm not wrong about then not having a popularity problem.

7. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    What is my thread about?....The implications of ratings have the biggest impact financially and that’s the most important part of any business. More people buying a jersey isn’t equaling the giant money attached to TV and the ratings that come with. Ticket sells don’t even come close. The NBA is popular no doubt, but ratings are still the most valuable indication of interest level as well as actual dollar returns and they’ve slipped significantly.

8. Gameface

May 25, 2010
    So stop equating U.S. tv ratings with the popularity of the NBA and we're in agreement.

9. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010

The Warriors can be blamed for the rating decline imo.

10. AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    As others have also stated, I don't watch the NBA unless it's the Jazz, until the playoffs start.

It seems to me like it's a lot of little things contributing. Some internal, some external. Cord cutting is definitely part of it. Competition from other types of entertainment. There is not much the NBA can do about these external factors.

Some internal factors that I think the NBA will need to address at some point:

1- Poor officiating (inconsistent)
    2- Competitive Balance (tanking)
    3- Regular season has no significance (why watch a game in November that means so little?)

I would like to see changes to the CBA. I think there should be no maximum on individual player salaries. If someone wants to spend 90% of their cap on one player, let them do it. This would help limit stars joining together on one team.

11. somebody

somebody Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Some dumb ideas, because nobody asked:
    • Teams only have 3 full-time players
    • All other players are randomly assigned to teams at the start of each season
    • Non full-time players paid by the wins
    • The entire season is the playoff tournament
    • Teams recruit 1 player of their choice from each team they eliminate
    • Teams must play a random fan for 5 min a game
    • Replace jump balls with trivia questions
    • Maze courts
    And I look forward to all of you watching my basketball league Saturday nights at 11pm/Central on the Game Show Network™

Jazzmix likes this.
  12. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This is kind of like whe the music industry went from physical to digital sales. Everyone is probably going to lose money at first, but theres probably a way to monetize. Im guessing the owners will try and manipulate that to their advantage to get a bigger split of the BRI.

13. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Lol. If anything they helped keep it afloat. The idea that casual fans dont like dominance is absurd. Every sport is at peak popularity when a GOAT is dominating.

People just love to bitch about **** that makes them feel insecure. Oneye is a perfect example. Hes the same dude who is obsessed over Donovan and New York.

14. Archie Moses

May 25, 2010
    Bro, do you talk to anyone that's older than 25? Most casual fans I know say they won't watch the NBA because it's too predictable during the Warrior's dynasty.

Ostertag>Duncan likes this.
  15. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    NBA fans think the season is too long. They hate that load management can ruin their experience at a game. The NBA's solution: A midseason tournament! More meaningless games leading to more load management! Yay!!!

Jazzmix likes this.
  16. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Adam Silver would no doubt love some of these

17. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    I'm correct there. And I agree the Warriors actually helped, but last year it was obvious the shine of the Warriors was wearing off and people were over the season being over before it started, despite Toronto winning because of a huge injury. Ratings were down last years regular season and the playoffs as well, so people were getting tired of the Warriors. The ratings have further suffered this season as the downward trend continues.

18. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    And they would find some **** to say if it wasnt that way as an excuse not to watch. Because they are casuals. Most casual fans will only watch if the moment is important enough to the at large conversation of popular culture (or w/e, there is probably a better phrase for that). When the NBA's own media people regularly downplay the regular season to the point that it's now a commonly held opinion of "lol who cares only ringsss matter", that's going to bleed over into casuals whose opinion is largely influenced by the masses.

19. Archie Moses

May 25, 2010
    A simple Google search backs my thinking.

20. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    google search of what?

This is just simple human behavior. Humans love to bitch and moan about things. People love to romanticize the past. There's nothing the NBA can do to make people not act like complete blowhards on these kinds of things. There will always be people like oneye who cant stand that young, predominately black, athletes have the power to make their lives miserable just because they don't do what they want them to do in sports.

At the end of the day this is all about perception and the NBA is largely to blame for creating the perception that the regular season is meaningless.