What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Inb4 the inevitable KAT/DM pairing.

It’s gonna be lit.

And I remember how our offense would fall off a cliff with Stockton off the floor and he was playing much more limited minutes toward the tail-end of his career. I identified numerous guys with really high assist rates that I assumed would help us in the non-Stockton minutes. Mark Jackson was on the radar for a while but man that was awful. Should’ve gone with my man Pepe Sanchez instead.

I’m sure there’s a big market for injury prone 38 year old point guards with two more seasons on their contract at $30 million each. Good thing they have some picks to grease a deal. Whoops, those are all in Brooklyn.
This.

I’m sure there’s a big market for injury prone 38 year old point guards with two more seasons on their contract at $30 million each. Good thing they have some picks to grease a deal. Whoops, those are all in Brooklyn.

OKC made a gamble a couple of years ago and were able to rehab his value and flip him for assets. I'm not saying that would happen again, obviously it's a lot less likely now that he is older, but at the time the conversation was pretty similar, that he had one of the worst contracts in the league.

OKC made a gamble a couple of years ago and were able to rehab his value and flip him for assets. I'm not saying that would happen again, obviously it's a lot less likely now that he is older, but at the time the conversation was pretty similar, that he had one of the worst contracts in the league.
That was actually 4 years ago and he had just had a hamstring injury. I think 4 years at his age and size is an eternity. OKC also got a nice bag for that trade... Long and short is it is a different gamble and Phoenix doesn't have much to give. He may bounce back but I wouldn't take him on without compensation... and they out of compensation right now.

Guessing CP ends up with one of the LA teams one way or another. Can't think of a ton of other suitors so he may stay put.

Guessing CP ends up with one of the LA teams one way or another. Can't think of a ton of other suitors so he may stay put.
I can think of a good number of suitors, but I dont know what the Suns would be getting back. Whoever is trading for CP3 is going to do so with the idea of win now, so they arent going to want to give up win now assets (which is what you would think a team with Booker/Durant would want).

That was actually 4 years ago and he had just had a hamstring injury. I think 4 years at his age and size is an eternity. OKC also got a nice bag for that trade... Long and short is it is a different gamble and Phoenix doesn't have much to give. He may bounce back but I wouldn't take him on without compensation... and they out of compensation right now.
I understand that. I'm definitely not saying the Jazz should do it, I'm just thinking this conversation sounds familiar.

Athletes are feeling more ageless these days (maybe this is just in my head). I could see CP3 having another 2 good years left. I wouldn't count on him staying healthy through the playoffs, but he's still looked pretty good in the regular season. It's not worth the gamble without the draft compensation though, agree there.

I can think of a good number of suitors, but I dont know what the Suns would be getting back. Whoever is trading for CP3 is going to do so with the idea of win now, so they arent going to want to give up win now assets (which is what you would think a team with Booker/Durant would want).
They have to be situations he is cool with.. he is on an expiring contract and very close to being completely done. Not sure he will hang around a lower tiered playoff team and the size of his deal makes it tough to move him. I think the Clips can cobble together some contracts like Morris and RoCo that might make it work. Lakers i think would have to be if he is bought out. I really think it will be Phoenix or one of the LA teams... maybe the Heat I guess... but part of why he wanted Phoenix was proximity to LA for the fam.

Suns can trade pick swaps in '24 and '26 (last one in particular might be valuable).

Sexton and Olynyk for CP? They send 2nds and a swap(s) of some type?
I’d definitely do it for a swap and seconds. However, I’d have a hard time thinking Phoenix would pony up all those assets for Durant to just turn around and dump swaps to get off CP3, unless they saw Sexton as a viable young alternative to an aging, overpriced Paul.