What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

When Russ was benched during the 4th quarter last season, he said it caused him to have back soreness because he wasn't used to sitting for long stretches, then when he was brought off the bench during preseason he said it caused him to injure his hamstring because he wasn't warm and loose enough when he came into the game. I wonder what kind of injuries he will come up with now.

View: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1586051584303177729

This isn't even addressing the actual problem.

The only team that has a legitimately unfair competitive advantage due to being able to pay absurd amounts to retain their players is the Golden State Warriors. Why? Because of the 2016 cap spike happening all at once. It enabled them to get Durant, who they then flipped for D'Angelo Russell's contract, who they then flipped for Andrew Wiggins' contract.

As an aside, the players union was dumb to insist that happened all in one offseason instead of over several. The 2016 free agents got all the money, and the free agents in subsequent years got absolutely screwed.

I think some version of this will become necessary as the salary cap sky-rockets. I cannot imagine a time when we pay a player like Royce upwards of $20 mill per year just because the cap is so huge. It is getting ridiculous, and it makes it so the bigger market teams can just pay their way to a ring, and assemble super-teams. I still like the idea of apportioning salary based on percentage of the cap and assessing large penalties for going over the cap. Like the designated franchise player (can only be 1), can take like 30% of the total cap, the 2nd best guy can only get 15%, and on down the line to get to the 100% mark, and then when they exceed that a $1.50 on the dollar tax that doubles every 5% over they go, something like that. That way you will be way less likely to see the best players congregating on one team, when the 2nd best guy could be the franchise player elsewhere and literally double his money.

I think some version of this will become necessary as the salary cap sky-rockets. I cannot imagine a time when we pay a player like Royce upwards of $20 mill per year just because the cap is so huge. It is getting ridiculous, and it makes it so the bigger market teams can just pay their way to a ring, and assemble super-teams. I still like the idea of apportioning salary based on percentage of the cap and assessing large penalties for going over the cap. Like the designated franchise player (can only be 1), can take like 30% of the total cap, the 2nd best guy can only get 15%, and on down the line to get to the 100% mark, and then when they exceed that a $1.50 on the dollar tax that doubles every 5% over they go, something like that. That way you will be way less likely to see the best players congregating on one team, when the 2nd best guy could be the franchise player elsewhere and literally double his money.
Nah... the owners throw this out there every time. It will be something they push hard on knowing it won't pass... so then they can get the other few things they want in the negotiations.

NBA players will never agree to being paid less and there will be owners who won't agree with it either. Never going to happen.

NBA players will never agree to being paid less and there will be owners who won't agree with it either. Never going to happen.

Players are guaranteed 50% of income this agreement would not play them less. Jordan Poole might get paid less, but in the aggregate player salaries would be the same (unless the percentage is adjusted.)

Really wanting to find out what Primo did to lead to him being waived. Has to be something very serious. The Spurs have operated for years with the guideline that character matters. They didn’t even try to get a draft pick for Primo.

Really wanting to find out what Primo did to lead to him being waived. Has to be something very serious. The Spurs have operated for years with the guideline that character matters. They didn’t even try to get a draft pick for Primo.
My guess is he is about to face a serious drug ban like Jalen Harris got a couple of years ago.

And we know Ainge doesn’t care about character so welcome to the Jazz Primo era, I guess.