What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

I saw today that Favs exercised his player option with OKC for about ten million. He signed a three year deal with the Jazz. What was the front office thinking?

How are they going to determine what is and isnt a fastbreak?

Seems like a rule that is going to require a lot of time looking at cameras.

Just let teams play through contact on fastbreaks. Treat it like soccer continuation. If a team wants to foul in transition, a team can continue the play and if they miss they still get the ball back.

So basically there is no upside to fouling in transition. You would have to foul very hard to stop a fastbreak, and you'd risk being called for a flagrant.

just like teach his players on how to be long, how to be athletic or how to stay in front of their man. you simply can't teach that ****
No just simply teach them to all run back instead of lazily committing a foul.

Not sure I like this. It just means more ref review, more chances for the refs to favor one team over the other. What is a take foul anyway? They will have to really define it, because there will be endless debate over whether it was a play on the ball or not.

I would like them to reduce the take fouls but not sure this is the best way. Maybe just make it a delay of game, and so the first is warning and with the 2nd they start getting free throws. But you still have the problem of whether a given foul was a touch foul or not. Kind of like the break-away foul, but less clear.

Not sure I like this. It just means more ref review, more chances for the refs to favor one team over the other. What is a take foul anyway? They will have to really define it, because there will be endless debate over whether it was a play on the ball or not.

I would like them to reduce the take fouls but not sure this is the best way. Maybe just make it a delay of game, and so the first is warning and with the 2nd they start getting free throws. But you still have the problem of whether a given foul was a touch foul or not. Kind of like the break-away foul, but less clear.
If it becomes like a clear path foul I'm out.

There really isn't much review time for take fouls in Europe. It's often an easy call. And 1 FT and possession would make teams less likely to commit take fouls quicker.

No just simply teach them to all run back instead of lazily committing a foul.
It’s amazing to me that Quin doesn’t use challenges because “maybe I’ll need it later,” but has no problems with take fouls, not realizing that you may “need that later.” Seriously, how many times have we had 1) someone in foul trouble who earned at least one transition foul, 2) fouled while in the bonus, or 3) ended up clear path fouling? Total up how many times that hurt us and then compile a list for me of how many times we were hurt because we no longer had a challenge and see which list is bigger.

It’s amazing to me that Quin doesn’t use challenges because “maybe I’ll need it later,” but has no problems with take fouls, not realizing that you may “need that later.” Seriously, how many times have we had 1) someone in foul trouble who earned at least one transition foul, 2) fouled while in the bonus, or 3) ended up clear path fouling? Total up how many times that hurt us and then compile a list for me of how many times we were hurt because we no longer had a challenge and see which list is bigger.
Add in the amount of times we correctly executed the strategy but later in the quarter ended up fouling on a non shooting foul and gave up free throws because of it.

Also add in the fact that it sends a message to just not get back and how many times we could easily just get back in the play but preference is to use a foul instead cuz we lazy.

Then compare our willingness to commit those fouls freely and how allergic we are to fouling on the perimeter by being physical.

It’s annoying and the math probably still works in its favor but I hate how soft our team is and this strategy seems to feed that issue directly. We have some horrible “smart” habits.

People bashed me for wanting him, but check out this stat on Frank Nkilitina:

Ntilikina isn’t the biggest name on this list but is coming off of a very successful series against the Suns where he held Devin Booker and Chris Paul to 3-of-40 shooting. He is entering the final year of a two-year $3.8 million contract, and with Tim Hardaway Jr. coming back next year, he might not find the playing time.

Ntilikina isn’t the biggest name on this list but is coming off of a very successful series against the Suns where he held Devin Booker and Chris Paul to 3-of-40 shooting. He is entering the final year of a two-year $3.8 million contract, and with Tim Hardaway Jr. coming back next year, he might not find the playing time.
On a minimum deal I like him. His offense is gonna hurt but he is what we'd like Forrest to become.

I don’t know about people bashing. I was a proponent and I never remember being bashed.

Add in the amount of times we correctly executed the strategy but later in the quarter ended up fouling on a non shooting foul and gave up free throws because of it.

Also add in the fact that it sends a message to just not get back and how many times we could easily just get back in the play but preference is to use a foul instead cuz we lazy.

Then compare our willingness to commit those fouls freely and how allergic we are to fouling on the perimeter by being physical.

It’s annoying and the math probably still works in its favor but I hate how soft our team is and this strategy seems to feed that issue directly. We have some horrible “smart” habits.
The message is sends to not get back on D is the most egregious imo. It drives lazy play. As a result we often see players just hold back knowing the take foul is coming. It builds really bad habits and flies in the face of "play hard".

Hey get out there and play hard! But don't run back on D, just foul the guy. But play hard, ok?

Spot on. One of my biggest pet peeves with Snyder. The unwillingness to use those challenges is unbelievable. Then he gets self-fulfilling prophecy as he finally uses one and it fails so he thinks "see, I was always right never to challenge, they just fail anyway and it's wasted."

Makes me think of my son when he was learning to play basketball in Jr. Jazz. He would be on the court and not take any shots, even though I knew he could shoot pretty well and he was taller than most anyone. Then he'd finally shoot and miss. Then he'd say "I knew I shouldn't have shot that." When you artificially reduce your sample size any undesirable outcome gets inflated.

The message is sends to not get back on D is the most egregious imo. It drives lazy play. As a result we often see players just hold back knowing the take foul is coming. It builds really bad habits and flies in the face of "play hard".

Hey get out there and play hard! But don't run back on D, just foul the guy. But play hard, ok?
This is a huge beef I have with Quin. He sees the direct consequence of specific things, but doesn't ever look at how dynamics change after that. He assumes that if you change one variable, then all other variables remain static and when we melt down in the playoffs, he's so baffled why all the other variables in the equation changed. It's like the idea having a center who shoots 32% from three. The initial thought is that this is not a great percentage. But it's not really about that percentage. It's about the changing dynamics of running that on the floor and how it changes the game when the defense has to make small adjustments depending on what's happening. Quin can't see all of the secondary and tertiary defensive issues that arise from teaching people to just do take fouls. Likewise, this is the big issue with "Rudy can't ____." Quin runs a system that makes funneling to Rudy be the main action. And the problem isn't just funneling to Rudy, it's that the entire defense doesn't work with rotations because everyone is taught that Rudy is the helper and you never help another guy. This is really where our defensive system comes crashing down. It's not because "Rudy can't be in multiple places at once" (well, it is, but that's not it). It's because nobody is accustomed to covering for another guy. When someone gets burned on the perimeter, how often are all the other guys just ball watching? The idea is to have Rudy do that because "he's the best at it, yada, yada," but it spreads Rudy too thin. We have an entire defensive system where nobody is mentally checked in on what they need to do and how the coverage changes over the course of a possession. We employ nobody helping because Quin sees the initial idea of "why don't we just have Rudy always be the helper because he's the best at it," and then we go creating issues because the offense knows they can exploit by only having to account for Rudy. I have loathed to talk about AK and have mentally excommunicated him from the franchise, but damn wouldn't having him on the floor for help coverage with Gobert be exactly the kind of crutch that could make Quin look competent. I absolutely hated his man-to-man defense, but him being the secondary guy that's supposed to cover from the weak side while Rudy is at the rim.

You have some kind of persecution complex.