What's new

The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

That's what's crazy to me. The military is absolutely not supposed to be used for domestic police actions. It was my firm belief as a member of the military that I could never be ordered to take actions (which by definition would be military action) against my fellow citizens.

I would like to think that if I had been ordered to take part of that disgusting episode outside the White House that I would have refused. It saddens me that we haven't heard of anyone refusing to be part of that. I always believed that the type of oppression some people speculated the military would impose on the people of the U.S. was impossible because too many military members would refuse to take part. My confidence in that position has been severely shaken if not all but destroyed.

That's what's crazy to me. The military is absolutely not supposed to be used for domestic police actions. It was my firm belief as a member of the military that I could never be ordered to take actions (which by definition would be military action) against my fellow citizens.

I would like to think that if I had been ordered to take part of that disgusting episode outside the White House that I would have refused. It saddens me that we haven't heard of anyone refusing to be part of that. I always believed that the type of oppression some people speculated the military would impose on the people of the U.S. was impossible because too many military members would refuse to take part. My confidence in that position has been severely shaken if not all but destroyed.

I didn’t think it could either. But yet... here we are.

In theory the President must first invoke the Insurrection Act, otherwise it is indeed illegal (violation of the Posse Comitatus Act).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act_of_1807
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

I say "in theory" because Trump has done illegal things before and no one has stopped him yet. But yes, if a military member is given an illegal order, I believe it's his or her duty to refuse.

In theory the President must first invoke the Insurrection Act, otherwise it is indeed illegal (violation of the Posse Comitatus Act).

I say "in theory" because Trump has done illegal things before and no one has stopped him yet. But yes, if a military member is given an illegal order, I believe it's his or her duty to refuse.

I wouldn't mind @sirkickyass 's take on this to make sure I've got it right.

I would have refused and taken my chances.

I didn't join the U.S. military so I could oppress my fellow citizens. Quite the opposite. It would have been the darkest day of my life being told to act against protesters.

The District of Columbia is not a state. The president can call up US troops for use in D.C. he does not need the Insurrection Act in D.C, to the best of my knowledge.
Doesn’t make it right, but might make it legal...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...mp-can-indulge-his-police-military-fantasies/

A massive series of barricades has gone up around the White House. Guard troops from as far away as Utah are patrolling our streets, keeping peaceful protesters far from Trump. Military helicopters fly over the city round-the-clock. More than 1,000 federal police officers, many without badges or insignia to show what agency they work for, have been sent to the District from around the country. Active-duty Army soldiers were flown in and stand ready to help Trump disrespect a city that’s 46 percent black.

Trump has free rein in D.C. because of the city’s unique constitutional status. We only have “home rule,” granted by Congress, not sovereignty; we have no governor, so the D.C. National Guard answers to Trump, not to Mayor Muriel E. Bowser. D.C. residents pay federal taxes, but we have only shadow senators and a nonvoting delegate to the U.S. House. We have the trappings of independence but none of the benefits of control: It’s a burlesque of government when federal authorities want to toy with us.

—————————————-
Well, I need to research this a bit more, because it does say here that Trump came very close to using the Insurrection Act to call in active troops to Washington:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...rink-deploying-active-duty-troops-washington/

Last edited:
Here is a response to some BS coming out about Pres. Trump's speech this morning. The thread contains all the details.

This is very interesting because I watched Anderson Cooper yesterday. He 100% made it appear that these comments by Trump were directly related to the jobs report. From watching the clip I discovered that the comments were not about the job numbers at all. It's so discouraging, disgusting and sickening that the media is lying to us so much. Anderson also used the term, numerous times, "mostly peaceful protests." It's as if he believes that by denying that millions of dollars of property damage and looting has occurred, that numerous policemen have been killed and seriously injured, that mobs have killed innocent bystanders, that he can erase these events from the history books. The fact is that virtually everyone is appalled by the death of George Floyd, and virtually everyone is in favor of peaceful protest, but none of that excuses criminality. You cannot atone for Floyd's death by stealing a 60" flat screen, yet some people seem to be cheering this behavior on.

I also noticed that the Lancet withdrew their story about hydroxychloroquine accelerating death because of faked test results. I honestly believe that had Trump never mentioned this drug that a majority of the people who are hating on it would have been supportive of trials. Their derangement with taking down Trump is completely paralyzing them, and causing them to support issues that they would never be crazy enough to give a second thought to if not for their reactions to this president. The "defund the police" thing might be the ultimate example. Never has a dumber idea been floated, yet somehow prominent democrats are jumping on board. It's insanity.

The job number announcement is the smoke screen, not what the media is covering. BLM is what everyone should be focused on right now. The media isn’t “pushing a narrative”, they’re doing their job.

Plugging meaningless job numbers (of course jobs are going to come back when you start opening the country, duh) while evoking GF’s memory, still holding record unemployment nationwide, with a raging pandemic, and a social justice awakening in the streets is pathetic, rudderless, and just dumb.

We can’t let him use this movement to distracted us from the real problem: racial injustice in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The District of Columbia is not a state. The president can call up US troops for use in D.C. he does not need the Insurrection Act in D.C, to the best of my knowledge.
Doesn’t make it right, but might make it legal...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...mp-can-indulge-his-police-military-fantasies/

A massive series of barricades has gone up around the White House. Guard troops from as far away as Utah are patrolling our streets, keeping peaceful protesters far from Trump. Military helicopters fly over the city round-the-clock. More than 1,000 federal police officers, many without badges or insignia to show what agency they work for, have been sent to the District from around the country. Active-duty Army soldiers were flown in and stand ready to help Trump disrespect a city that’s 46 percent black.

Trump has free rein in D.C. because of the city’s unique constitutional status. We only have “home rule,” granted by Congress, not sovereignty; we have no governor, so the D.C. National Guard answers to Trump, not to Mayor Muriel E. Bowser. D.C. residents pay federal taxes, but we have only shadow senators and a nonvoting delegate to the U.S. House. We have the trappings of independence but none of the benefits of control: It’s a burlesque of government when federal authorities want to toy with us.

—————————————-
Well, I need to research this a bit more, because it does say here that Trump came very close to using the Insurrection Act to call in active troops to Washington:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...rink-deploying-active-duty-troops-washington/
I don't think that's accurate. My understanding is that while the President can indeed take over law enforcement in DC, the PC Act still holds and military personnel may not be used. Local police, National Guard, and maybe some other federal people such as Park Police. But not military. Of course, I could be wrong.

I don't think that's accurate. My understanding is that while the President can indeed take over law enforcement in DC, the PC Act still holds and military personnel may not be used. Local police, National Guard, and maybe some other federal people such as Park Police. But not military. Of course, I could be wrong.

No, you are correct. There is no exemption for D.C. where the Insurrection Act is concerned.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-about-deploying-troops-on-u-s-soil-quicktake

The job number announcement is the smoke screen, not what the media is covering. BLM is what everyone should be focused on right now. The media isn’t “pushing a narrative”, they’re doing their job.

Plugging meaningless job numbers (of course jobs are going to come back when you start opening the country, duh) while evoking GF’s memory, still holding record unemployment nationwide, with a raging pandemic, and a social justice awakening in the streets is pathetic, rudderless, and just dumb.

We can’t let him use this movement to distracted us from the real problem: racial injustice in America.

Regarding jobs coming back when the virus passes, it’s not quite that simple. I’m sure many if not most will. But corporate America loves to run lean if they can to increase profits. If they get through the next 3-9 months unscathed and seem to be running efficiently, some if not many will stay that way.

Regarding jobs coming back when the virus passes, it’s not quite that simple. I’m sure many if not most will. But corporate America loves to run lean if they can to increase profits. If they get through the next 3-9 months unscathed and seem to be running efficiently, some if not many will stay that way.

Oh man, I know it well. These bumps in employment better keep coming as we open. But I’m pretty sure we’ll be hovering around 10% unemployment until next year. Yes, large corporate employers will be fine. But most of their jobs were kept due to telework. Commercial and industrial real estate is booming right now. In fact, many larger businesses are banking off high unemployment by getting talent cheap, and underpaying. The rich in America are safe from COVID.

Small business is being decimated. So many are going out of business, and most are not getting back to profitable any time soon. Everyday this continues it bleeds dry these businesses and their families.

We’re at a crossroads. Do we trust Trump to pick the right road knowing all conventional conditions no longer exist?

The town in which I teach had their rally today. Went off without a hitch. And kids who graduated the HS three years ago set it all up and organized it. Police were there, friendly, complimentary, passing out water, not in riot gear. Honey, not vinegar.

Reminds me of ****** teachers in our district, usually older white females, who are my way or the highway types and have 100-200 write-ups and 50% of their kids failing, each year.

I would have refused and taken my chances.

I didn't join the U.S. military so I could oppress my fellow citizens. Quite the opposite. It would have been the darkest day of my life being told to act against protesters.
I'm very proud of my daughter who, at the 16 year point as a MSgt in the USAF, walked away from the military and her retirement benefits because she was so alarmed by what the president was proposing, and threatening to carryout during his first year in office. She is now happy that she did so, despite the personal consequences. There will be others who take that step if he does what he threatens to do.

Can someone please detail for me what it's going to take to change your mind about Mr. Trump's fit for office?