What's new

The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

I thought I’d go back to this trifling matter, for a second. True? Or false?

I don’t know. But I’ll say true, for the sake of argument.

But, I do not care.

You can now tell me what that says about me, by saying “Red believes blah, blah, blah, scandalous, shocking, hypocrite, yada, yada, yada!!”.

But, re Hunter and Obama funding sex rings, lol, whatever. I don’t know, have not read the report, don’t care to, and, be it true, false....

I DON’T CARE.

And why??

Because, in Trump, we’re talking about a man who now represents an existential threat to the legitimacy of our elections, that institution where we, the people, exercise our power. And to the legitimacy of our government.

So, being someone who finds that indisputable very real possibility unsettling, in the extreme, and as an American who does not want to see that happen, and who is as aghast as the rest of the world is, at this, our Great Fail, then, therefore, that existential threat that looms is THE ONLY THING that matters right now.

Joe Biden does not represent the existential threat Trump represents. And, if you don’t get that, I don’t care.
Lol psychosis. Remember when idiot Republicans were saying the same about the Radical Muslim Obama? Lol you're no different. You're a fear mongerer. 75,000,000 just because you really really wanted all those people to die so you could selfishly get rid of your addiction in Trump.

We'll be fine conspiracy fear mongerer. If Biden wins we'll be fine. Trump wins, 4 more years and we'll still be fine. Bloody hell.

The only ones burning looting killing are you. Trump supporters are working and supporting our families.

Hahaha. Don’t TRY so hard. You’re making a parody out of trolling.....
I wasn't the one clamouring for 75,000,000 MINIMUM, to get sick. I was literally explaining 2nd grade math to you that it wouldn't happen. No matter how hard YOU try you will never live such evil down.

Exponential growth.... Lol

Democrats cheating through bribery. Bored, ancient billionaires with nothing to do with their money.

Why should former felons be left with fees that prevent them from voting? The ballot bill that was passed made no such requirement. Why should felons who have paid their debt to society in prison time be left with financial debts which prevent them from voting?

Why would it be a crime for philanthropists to pay off those debts? If you think it’s a political bribe, couldn’t a Republican philanthropist have done the same thing?

I don’t get it. Why don’t you want these people to be able to vote? Why continue to keep these people down after they’ve left prison? Won’t leveling more fines and preventing them to vote only encourage them to engage in crime to make ends meet? Have you thought this through?

Why should former felons be left with fees that prevent them from voting? The ballot bill that was passed made no such requirement. Why should felons who have paid their debt to society in prison time be left with financial debts which prevent them from voting?

Why would it be a crime for philanthropists to pay off those debts? If you think it’s a political bribe, couldn’t a Republican philanthropist have done the same thing?

I don’t get it. Why don’t you want these people to be able to vote? Why continue to keep these people down after they’ve left prison? Won’t leveling more fines and preventing them to vote only encourage them to engage in crime to make ends meet? Have you thought this through?
It sounds a lot like paying for votes. I think it's concerning and I think it should be looked into.

It sounds a lot like paying for votes. I think it's concerning and I think it should be looked into.

Apparently part of the state's defense in upholding this requirement was that if an ex-convict didn't have the funds to cover the court costs and/or fines "someone else" could always pay for them....

Florida's law requiring felons to pay fines before they can vote was recently upheld by a federal appeals court. Julie Ebenstein, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union's Voting Rights Project, said that in court part of the state's defense was that if felons don't have the funds, others could always pay for them.
"I'm surprised to hear now that third parties who are generously willing to pay people's outstanding legal financial obligations, suddenly they're being accused of a crime for doing exactly what the state suggested was perfectly legitimate," Ebenstein said.

So, as Thriller suggested above, the state makes this smug rationalization to justify circumventing the will of the people, this billionaire takes them up on it and now it's a problem? At what point do we call ********?

A ballot initiative passed in 2018 gave these former felons the right to vote. The Republican legislature with its Republican Governor then tacked fines onto these people, preventing them from voting.

Fines preventing former felons from voting, the majority of which are POC, Sounds a lot like poll taxes. Doesn’t it to you? I mean, if the majority of these former felons were toothless white rednecks from northern Florida with Trump flags and Nazi tats, think florida would’ve tacked on fines? I think we all know the answer to that.

So **** these guys. They tacked fines onto these former felons and claimed that “someone else” could step in to pay them off. They did this to give a big **** you to those who voted for the ballot initiative and to prevent POC from voting. They dared someone to call them out. Well, someone did and Republicans still want to fight? Imagine if republicans worked half as hard on covid, the economy, or race relations as they do in making it harder for people to vote? Just amazing.

Repubs in Florida enacted poll taxes on these felons and dared someone to pay for them. And now someone did and now they’re angry? Sorry. Thems the breaks.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if we want people to become productive members of society, we should do all in our power to help them. Preventing former felons from obtaining welfare, SNAP, food stamps, voting, and slapping fines onto them, seems counterproductive to me. Why pile on? We’re not setting them up for success. Especially since most felons are minor drug charges. Take away any hope of finding success legally in society, and what do you think these people are going to turn to?

A ballot initiative passed in 2018 gave these former felons the right to vote. The Republican legislature with its Republican Governor then tacked fines onto these people, preventing them from voting.

Fines preventing former felons from voting, the majority of which are POC, Sounds a lot like poll taxes. Doesn’t it to you? I mean, if the majority of these former felons were toothless white rednecks from northern Florida with Trump flags and Nazi tats, think florida would’ve tacked on fines? I think we all know the answer to that.

So **** these guys. They tacked fines onto these former felons and claimed that “someone else” could step in to pay them off. They did this to give a big **** you to those who voted for the ballot initiative and to prevent POC from voting. They dared someone to call them out. Well, someone did and Republicans still want to fight? Imagine if republicans worked half as hard on covid, the economy, or race relations as they do in making it harder for people to vote? Just amazing.

Repubs in Florida enacted poll taxes on these felons and dared someone to pay for them. And now someone did and now they’re angry? Sorry. Thems the breaks.
They did not slap fines on them. Felons are required to pay the fines, court costs, etc., that have been assessed against them before they are allowed to vote. I think that's BS and as long as the felon is not in default on whatever fines they owe I think they should be allowed to vote.

But regardless, you've completely mischaracterized what's going on. Not only did you go off on a number of falsehoods, you don't address in any way a former Democratic Presidential candidate paying these fees for people to enable them to vote. It looks a lot like paying for votes.

C'mon now, it looks like he was specifically targeting past Democratic voters. And why is he only doing it in Florida, which is obviously the biggest battleground state. An investigation is under way, so we will find out more soon, but it smells rotten.

C'mon now, it looks like he was specifically targeting past Democratic voters. And why is he only doing it in Florida, which is obviously the biggest battleground state. An investigation is under way, so we will find out more soon, but it smells rotten.

because felons recently were given their voting rights back and republicans then engaged in taking them away with poll taxes. Why didn’t Republican philanthropists help out?

btw, this isn’t a Bloomberg operation. Lebron james and others kicked in too. Why didn’t any republicans help out? Why don't Repubs want POC to vote?

Last edited:
They did not slap fines on them. Felons are required to pay the fines, court costs, etc., that have been assessed against them before they are allowed to vote. I think that's BS and as long as the felon is not in default on whatever fines they owe I think they should be allowed to vote.

But regardless, you've completely mischaracterized what's going on. Not only did you go off on a number of falsehoods, you don't address in any way a former Democratic Presidential candidate paying these fees for people to enable them to vote. It looks a lot like paying for votes.

I get what you're saying. You're right, they didn't slap fines on them. But what they did do is make a law that took away their voting rights until those fines were paid off. Thus, enacting a poll tax. Which essentially defeats the entire point of the ballot initiative that was passed.

Article Here
One of the most inspiring victories of the 2018 elections was in Florida, where voters approved a constitutional amendment that re-enfranchised an estimated 1.4 million people with felony convictions. In a state where gubernatorial and Senate races were decided by fractions of a percentage point, a transpartisan coalition propelled Amendment 4 to a landslide victory with 65 percent of the vote. It was an unexpectedly decisive outcome that showed how some issues really do cross partisan politics — and a powerful example of democracy working as it should.

It should surprise no one, then, that Florida Republicans are determined to thwart the will of the people.

This month, the Florida legislature passed along partisan lines a bill that requires former felons to clear new financial hurdles before they become eligible to vote. Amendment 4 plainly stated that most people with felony convictions would regain their rights upon completing “all terms of their sentence including parole or probation,” but under the Republican legislation, they will also be obligated to pay related fines, fees and restitution.
If Repubs merely cared about recovering those fines, they could have left it as is. Instead, they want to disenfranchise voters of color. A poll tax.

While I understand your concerns over bribery, I don't quite buy their concerns. Republicans didn't have to tie paying off these fines to voting. Especially since the whole point of the amendment was to restore their voting rights. Any Republican could have stepped in to restore these voting rights through paying off these fines. Why didn't they? And there's no guarantee that these voters will vote Democratic. Lebron James chipped into this fund. While I know he's not BFFs with Trump, he's not exactly an advocate for Democrats. Personally, I think Trump attempting to bribe seniors by promising $200 dollar prescription cards for seniors, shoveling billions in farm handouts, passing tax cuts that benefit major donors, and handing out pardons are more explicit bribes than this.

If Dems and Repubs want to get into a bidding war for paying off the debts of felons so they can vote, I say have at it! The more people voting, the better, right?

I think if repubs hadn't tried to disenfranchise these voters, I'd be more open to their bribery concerns. But since they haven't acted in good faith, I feel like their concerns over this being bribery is just another bad faith argument to try to keep POC unable to vote. So I see this as them getting their just desserts. You sow the wind, now reap the whirlwind (a certain justice once told me that).

Last edited:
So true. Why the hell wasnt Trump imprisoned years ago? As a country, we waste so many resources imprisioning people for carrying weed yet let crooks like Trump off easily.

Honestly, maybe this is the plan? Maybe trump is going to use this as leverage? @colton called this out years ago about the risk of Trump blowing off the emoluments clause.