What's new

The oil spill...

TroutBum

My Member's Premium
Contributor
A lot of you have been talking about this for a while, and I think there was a thread about it on the old site, so I thought I'd bring it up again. I was just reading an article and thought I'd post it here, along with my favorite quote.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=153&sid=10600255

As hundreds of cars streamed through the toll booths at the entrance to the beach, a protester stood at the side of the road wearing a gas mask, lab coat, latex gloves and holding a "Drill Baby Drill" sign with tea bags hanging from the edges.

An estimated one million gallons per day. Wow.

The worst part about all of this is those clowns in DC are going to try to use this to pull out their cap and trade scam again.

I'm really surprised gas prices haven't flown up because of this. I'm glad they haven't, but surprised.

It's a pretty small amount in the grand scheme of things. The thing that's really gonna hurt BP is all the money they are going to have to spend cleaning it up and performing damage control. Unless you just thought that gas and oil prices would go up due to the controversy and publicity, which I guess would be possible.

Also, working in the oilfield for a while now I will say this about BP...they take safety and preserving the environment the most seriously out of all the oil companies around here...including Conoco Phillips, Chevron, XTO, and several other smaller companies. Yeah, they've handled the situation poorly, but **** happens and our society needs all that oil in order to keep our wheels churning. This whole thing sucks, but the whole blame game thing is ridiculous. Just work together and fix the ****ing problem already.

It's a pretty small amount in the grand scheme of things. The thing that's really gonna hurt BP is all the money they are going to have to spend cleaning it up and performing damage control. Unless you just thought that gas and oil prices would go up due to the controversy and publicity, which I guess would be possible.
Honestly, I don't know how much it is in the grand scheme of things. I just assumed the gas companies would find a way to raise prices. It makes sense to me that prices would go up since supply would be down (minimally, apparently) but demand wouldn't be going down. Plus, I distrust oil companies about as much as possible.
This whole thing sucks, but the whole blame game thing is ridiculous. Just work together and fix the ****ing problem already.
I agree.

I just joined a group on Facebook that said "there are plenty of fish in the sea jk there's an oil spill"

Now I feel like a ****

Also, working in the oilfield for a while now I will say this about BP...they take safety and preserving the environment the most seriously out of all the oil companies around here...including Conoco Phillips, Chevron, XTO, and several other smaller companies. Yeah, they've handled the situation poorly, but **** happens and our society needs all that oil in order to keep our wheels churning. This whole thing sucks, but the whole blame game thing is ridiculous. Just work together and fix the ****ing problem already.

This is very untrue. Former CEO John Browne launched a very successful advertising campaign branding BP as 'Beyond Petroleum' in the late 90's. As a result, it enjoyed a popular perception as a green, progressive energy company. Underneath the surface, however, he sought to aggressively cut costs by shrinking his workforce and spending as little on safety measures as possible. In 2005, they had an explosion at a refinery in Texas killing like 15 workers and injuring hundreds. He was warned repeatedly by the plant supervisor that an accident of some kind was inevitable. In 2006, BP's unwillingness to treat the Trans Alaska Pipeline which it built with anti-corrosive chemicals caused the largest land spill in Alaska history (not to be confused with the Valdez ocean spill.) The money not spent on employee safety or installations that would safeguard the environment was put toward aggressive expansion in Russia, Canada, and the US. The present oil spill in the Gulf is merely a culmination of the company's shoddy operations procedure. This is a developing story you will be reading all about. BP is a bad, bad company.

This is very untrue. Former CEO John Browne launched a very successful advertising campaign branding BP as 'Beyond Petroleum' in the late 90's. As a result, it enjoyed a popular perception as a green, progressive energy company. Underneath the surface, however, he sought to aggressively cut costs by shrinking his workforce and spending as little on safety measures as possible. In 2005, they had an explosion at a refinery in Texas killing like 15 workers and injuring hundreds. He was warned repeatedly by the plant supervisor that an accident of some kind was inevitable. In 2006, BP's unwillingness to treat the Trans Alaska Pipeline which it built with anti-corrosive chemicals caused the largest land spill in Alaska history (not to be confused with the Valdez ocean spill.) The money not spent on employee safety or installations that would safeguard the environment was put toward aggressive expansion in Russia, Canada, and the US. The present oil spill in the Gulf is merely a culmination of the company's shoddy operations procedure. This is a developing story you will be reading all about. BP is a bad, bad company.

Interesting. I was talking to Mrs. Trout about this very thing today. I remember when BP came out with their "Beyond Petroleum" campaign, and I bought it. I always considered them one of the better oil companies out there, and even talked to my stock broker about buying some of their stock back in the day. (didn't do it, thank goodness) Boy, it just goes to show you that anything you see on TV is/will be spun however the network/person writing the checks wants, and we as Americans will just eat it up and regurgitate it as fact. (see Fox News)

Interesting. I was talking to Mrs. Trout about this very thing today. I remember when BP came out with their "Beyond Petroleum" campaign, and I bought it. I always considered them one of the better oil companies out there, and even talked to my stock broker about buying some of their stock back in the day. (didn't do it, thank goodness) Boy, it just goes to show you that anything you see on TV is/will be spun however the network/person writing the checks wants, and we as Americans will just eat it up and regurgitate it as fact. (see Fox News)

Well you would have done great as long as you didn't hold the stock. Anyway, Browne lapped up the praise of 'Beyond Petroleum' like the amoral suckbag he was. He was the only Big Oil CEO to acknowledge global warming as a result of CO2 emissions which made everybody gaga. He was even knighted at one point. Even if BP survives this disaster, Browne will have officially joined the ranks of the Dick Fuld's and Jeffrey Skilling's who ran massive corporations into the ground and ****ed everyone over in the process. Hell of a guy.

LOL

human race destroying mother nature.

and people be suprised when mother earth strikes back with natural dissasters

Mother Nature and Mother Earth are fine - it has survived a lot, lot worse than this.

The people on the other hand are screwed.

If they would just couch the Environmentalist Movement this way - they'd probably have a lot more subscribers.

Last edited:
Mother Nature and Mother Earth are fine - it has survived a lot, lot worse than this.

The people on the other hand are screwed.

If they would just couch the Environmentalist Movement this way - they'd probably have a lot more suscribers.

Even we did the worst thing we could- nuke each other to death- the planet would not be destroyed. The Radioactive would only last 100,000 years or so. That is an eye blink for mother earth. On the other hand we would all be dead.

Another question, the we didn't create the oil or put it down there. There has to underwater earthquakes that cause things like this from time to time.

I've heard that the amount of oil that has leaked into the gulf thus far is a drop in the bucket. Less than what the US economy uses in an hour.

Interesting. I didn't know any of that and that stuff definitely changes my opinion of them. All I know is that they are a pain in the *** to work for down here because they are so strict with all their stupid rules. Also, the company I work for is maybe going to be sending a bunch of drivers to Louisiana/Florida to clean up BP's mess, so I may be going down there for a couple weeks. It would be pretty cool I guess, but I bet it's hot as balls in the south right now. I don't do humidity.

Sad situation indeed. Hopefully the fears of doom and gloom don't represent the reality.