What's new

The Paperboy!

Hopper

Banned
You can debate the Paperboy versus Boozer all you want, but Millsap wasn't scared or stifled by the Lakers, while Boozer was, and that says all I need to know. Miller knows what's up:

"“In my opinion, Paul played his best basketball when he was the guy, when Carlos was out,” Miller said. “And so it’s exciting for me to think about what we’d get out of Millsap if he knew he was going to play that key role for us...Miller also said not to exaggerate the significance of his March meeting with Boozer’s agent, Rob Pelinka, saying that “not much of any substantial conversation took place.”

Well, there ya have it, then, eh?

LINK

I have been of the opinion that Boozer is not coming back unless he is willing to take a pay cut and not as may years (he won't). I think Greg is just preparing us for what is going to happen.

I've always thought that Millsap is overall better than Boozer. He sure plays harder and bigger than Boozer.

Boozer is a better offensive player and runs the pick and roll better, Millsap is a better defender. Until Millsap can demand the double team that Boozer sometimes can, it will be more difficult for the Jazz offensively.

Boozer is a better offensive player and runs the pick and roll better, Millsap is a better defender. Until Millsap can demand the double team that Boozer sometimes can, it will be more difficult for the Jazz offensively.
It's easier to find four other players to replace Boozer's points relative to Millsap on a given play than it is to immediately cover up for Boozer's bad defense when Odom drives down the lane or Gasol turns around for a jump shot. And I am more optimistic that Millsap will improve on both ends of the court than Boozer improving in defense or in any other way.

The best benefit for Boozer right now is giving Utah possibilities for a sign-and-trade.

I'd like to say that Boozer is a much better passer than Millsap, but since I'm not sure I have ever seen Millsap pass, I can't make that judgment.

The Jazz will definitely be a different team without Boozer, but still a good one. I remember the Paperboy's stretch of 18 (or whatever) straight double-doubles when he replaced Boozer for an extended period a year or two back, but I don't really remember the team's record during that span. Seems like they did pretty well, though.

The Paperboy is actually much more versatile than Boozer, but not as potentially (against lesser opponents) overpowering and, as others have already noted, not as good a passer or pick and roll player as Boozer. That's cool, though. The Paperboy will fight for every rebound, steal balls on inbounds plays and generally kick his self some sorry ***. He has developed a good outside shot, is tricky with his inside moves, and can hold down the 4 spot just fine.

The 4 is not where the Jazz's problems are with Boozer gone, especially when defense is considered. The Jazz will have to move the ball around more and won't have Boozer as a bail-out option, but they can do fine if they can just get some help at center (Fess don't seem to be the answer, or Koufos, but Koufos has room, and I think the desire, to improve.

The Jazz really need to move AK too. AK can be great, but overall he's injured too much, is inconsistent, and a little too soft for the 60's brand of Chicago Bulls team Sloan is building. Williams, Matthews, and the Paperboy fit in fine with that model, even Korver, to an extent, and of course Price. The Yurpeens....well, that's another story.

caveat: I aint so hot on geography, mebbe Memo and AK are actually asian, rather than Yurpean. Same difference---candyass foreigners, either way.

Last edited:
I willing to cash in a crappy year for the Jazz to get the Millsap era rolling. But is Deron? Hmmmmm

I will miss Boozer's incredible post game. Man, it's a joy to watch. I think Millsap can learn the pick and roll and run it just as well as Boozer.

I'd like to say that Boozer is a much better passer than Millsap, but since I'm not sure I have ever seen Millsap pass, I can't make that judgment.
The last two seasons, Sap has shown he's a more than adequate passer (especially when he was starting).

meh.

You can debate the Paperboy versus Boozer all you want, but Millsap wasn't scared or stifled by the Lakers, while Boozer was, and that says all I need to know. Miller knows what's up

Yes, but he also couldn't play anything resembling defense, just like Boozer.

Yes, but he also couldn't play anything resembling defense, just like Boozer.

A little hyperbolic, doncha think? Yeah, he couldn't shut down 7-footers like Gasol, Bynum, and Odom, but that doesn't mean he played "no semblance" of defense. For the playoffs this year the Paperboy was (is) 16th in blocks per game, even though he played relatively few minutes compared to most of those ahead of him, most of whom are centers.

Like the coaches say:

COMPETITIVE SOUL--Coach Steve Finamore

Last night I was watching the Suns and Jazz go at it on ESPN. Jeff Van Gundy made a comment about Jazz forward Paul Millsap. JVG said Millsap is one of only a few NBA players with a ‘competitive soul’.

If you watch Millsap, he plays with energy. He rebounds, hustles, defends and blocks shots. He had one sequence last night on defense when he was in the help position in the middle of the key, he stopped the ball and Steve Nash dished it off to Millsap’s man on the right box. Millsap recovered and was able to block the shot. You don’t see many players ‘help and recover’ very well. It’s a part of the game that is under-taught and rarely executed. It takes desire and hustle to help and recover.

JVG’s partner Mark Jackson former NBA player said Millsap is the type of guy who will not show you anything in an individual workout. He’s right, ‘help and recover’ drills are never on display in an individual workout. It’s mostly all shooting.

So, then, to kinda sum it all up, and all....

The Paperboy, he ROCKS, eh!?

Charley Rosen, after a Jazz/Mavs game back in February:

Is Millsap worth the lengthy, mega-bucks contract he signed during the off-season?

• ABSOLUTELY!!!
Thanks to Paul Millsap, the Jazz are doing all right without the injured Carlos Boozer.

• He was 10-for-16 from the field and scored his 25 points in a variety of ways: Power layups. Face-up step-back jumpers. A flip and three free throws that were earned on the run. Popping off a weak-side screen, then nailing a 17-footer. Making several slashing dive cuts that led to easy layups and dunks.

• His single assist was a beauty. After getting his hands on a tough offensive rebound, Millsap make a nifty touch pass that Miles turned into a layup.

• On defense, he played Nowitzki aggressively and was hurt mostly when he had to help and left Nowitzki open to receive kick-out-passes and then bury jumpers. All told, Nowitzki tallied 16 of his 28 points against Millsap.

• On the other hand, Millsap shut down Drew Gooden and made several timely rotations (four blocks and several intimidations).

• He was also a mighty presence on the boards (a team-high nine rebounds) and set numerous sturdy screens.

LINK

The last two seasons, Sap has shown he's a more than adequate passer (especially when he was starting).

During the playoffs, Boozer had 3 assists/game, not bad for a PF, but the Paperboy had 2.2 himself (in less minutes, of course). On a per 48 basis, it was only 3.6 to 3.3. The paperboy had a substantially better assist to turnover ratio, though (1.7 to 1.25).

One of the issues to be considered with Millsap filling Boozer's role is that the Jazz don't have anyone to fill Millsap's role. And it will need to be filled for those all-too-frequent nights he gets into foul trouble.

Not sure if it matters much as long as neither plays with a dominate center. In order for Boozer to win a championship, he'll need to play along somebody long, athletic, who can block shots and help him dominate on the boards. Somebody like Brooke Lopez or Dwight Howard. that's to win a championship. Otherwise, he'll continue to be what he's been his whole career, a nice complimentary piece that gets 20 and 10 and yell a lot.

As for the Jazz winning a championship w/Millsap, it's not going to happen until the Jazz acquire somebody like the two centers mentioned above. Sure Milllsap will play hard, just like Carl Landry and Leon Powe and David West. But none of those guys are going to lead a team to a championship without some big time help from the 5.

And Boom Bitches and Krispy Kreme don't qualify as dominate centers IMO.

Last edited:
One of the issues to be considered with Millsap filling Boozer's role is that the Jazz don't have anyone to fill Millsap's role. And it will need to be filled for those all-too-frequent nights he gets into foul trouble.

Have ya clean forgot about AK, Blood, or you just figure he's gone?

Millsap has missed SIX games in 4 years.
And he's played hurt when he probably should have sat out, just because Utah had no other options at PF.

IMO, $15M is better spent elsewhere. If people think Carlos would sign for less than that to remain in Utah, they're delusional.