What's new

The Perfect Movie

Oh the infamous Eagles. That never really bugged me. What greater way to say hey we are coming to destroy your magic ring where you live and before we do it we wouldn't mind some tea. Don't forget to call the Nazguls and their flying thingies.

I see the same things you do, I just don't react the same way. That doesn't mean I think that "every movie must be the best movie ever made," it just means that most things that don't make a lot of sense I shrug off. I don't find LOTR any less powerful because of the stupid eagles. I roll my eyes once when they show up and then forget about them. For the other 11 hours of those films (and the books) it's not a problem. Yeah, I remember being annoyed the first time I read the books and the eagles saved Frodo and Sam -- I would have rather they died, frankly, rather than be saved in such a silly way -- but I'm not going to never read the books or watch the movies again because of it. They're too damned good for that. Do you really view LOTR as a waste of time? Because the eagles are much worse than the cliff in Jurassic Park.

In any case, yes, different strokes. I feel bad for you that you can't enjoy films because of meaningless stuff like that.

I don't know why, it doesn't bother me one bit. And I'm sorry I have a different definition of meaningless than you do. I promise I won't hold it against you.

I seriously doubt you have fully enjoyed every single movie you have ever seen (and if you have then my first comment was more right than wrong) and I'm sure there is always a reason for everyone when that is the case. And I am willing to bet some people disagree with the validity of that reason. Not sure it is ever a cause for pity, because I think it is perfectly ok for you to not like a movie I do like for whatever reason you choose, and vice versa, and it's ok if we disagree on that reason. But to each his own, or not if that makes you feel bad that each person has their own point of view. Not really sure.

Oh and I never said I view LOTR as a waste of time, just that I noticed that part early on, and thought it was funny how mad that teacher got that someone would point out that there was a potential flaw in what he viewed as a perfect piece of art. I still read them all, and watched the movies and have more than once. To me that is much more explainable (as CT said, there is probably just a missing piece of backstory) than a physical change to a fixed landscape.

Absolutely. Have you ever seen Gangster No.1 or The Krays?

Haven't seen them. Any good?

I have been watching some Japanese stuff lately when I have time. Mostly stuff that was in festivals like Hara Kiri and Outrage. Battle Royale is what the Hunger Games should have been.

Also, I'm curious what you thought of Man Bites Dog?

I don't know why, it doesn't bother me one bit. And I'm sorry I have a different definition of meaningless than you do. I promise I won't hold it against you.

I seriously doubt you have fully enjoyed every single movie you have ever seen (and if you have then my first comment was more right than wrong) and I'm sure there is always a reason for everyone when that is the case. And I am willing to bet some people disagree with the validity of that reason. Not sure it is ever a cause for pity, because I think it is perfectly ok for you to not like a movie I do like for whatever reason you choose, and vice versa, and it's ok if we disagree on that reason. But to each his own, or not if that makes you feel bad that each person has their own point of view. Not really sure.

Oh and I never said I view LOTR as a waste of time, just that I noticed that part early on, and thought it was funny how mad that teacher got that someone would point out that there was a potential flaw in what he viewed as a perfect piece of art. I still read them all, and watched the movies and have more than once. To me that is much more explainable (as CT said, there is probably just a missing piece of backstory) than a physical change to a fixed landscape.

Um, wait, you can't possibly think that this is what I meant? I hate lots of movies. I just don't hate them for the reasons you're talking about. In fact, I'm more of a movie snob than a lot of people I know who to me seem a lot less discerning. But the way you've been responding has made it sound like you think I just indiscriminately like everything, and/or have no sense of taste. Not so.

I'm also perfectly okay with people having different criteria by which they judge films. In this case I just find it odd that you don't seriously object to something like the LOTR eagle thing which seems to make the entire journey look silly, as opposed to something like Jurassic Park, where the inconsistency we've discussed doesn't really affect anything important in the story. Like I said, if they had just moved the big 'ol drop a little to the right or left of where the t-rex was, the problem goes away. It's embarrassing for the filmmakers, but has no effect on the film's story. I guess I just don't get why you write off a whole film for something like that, and then rationalize things like LOTR. Seems arbitrary to me.

Haven't seen them. Any good?

I have been watching some Japanese stuff lately when I have time. Mostly stuff that was in festivals like Hara Kiri and Outrage. Battle Royale is what the Hunger Games should have been.

Also, I'm curious what you thought of Man Bites Dog?

Yes. Both very good. Def recommendations though if you're of the squemish variety, you prolly won't like them.

It's been years since I saw it but I remember liking it a lot. The way it was shot, the story and the ultraviolence. Did you not like it?

Yes. Both very good. Def recommendations though if you're of the squemish variety, you prolly won't like them.

It's been years since I saw it but I remember liking it a lot. The way it was shot, the story and the ultraviolence. Did you not like it?

I thought it was one of the more realistically shot movies of its kind. Realistic enough to make it stomach-turning in some cases (like the rape scene with the couple, and the footage of the next morning), but it was kept tongue-in-cheek enough to not let that overpower the whole thing. The scene where he shot the guy at his birthday party and everyone just acted like nothing had happened was something else. Definitely an interesting one, but again not for the squeamish really.

Do most of you only watch American movies?

Seen OldBoy and Thirst? How about the Girl with the Dragoon Tatoo original trilogy, and the original Let the Right One In? How about Casshern? Also, I already mentioned City of God, Sanjuro, and Seven Samurai.

Those are some of my favorite foreign flicks. Of course, if you count anime there's a ton more.

I thought it was one of the more realistically shot movies of its kind. Realistic enough to make it stomach-turning in some cases (like the rape scene with the couple, and the footage of the next morning), but it was kept tongue-in-cheek enough to not let that overpower the whole thing. The scene where he shot the guy at his birthday party and everyone just acted like nothing had happened was something else. Definitely an interesting one, but again not for the squeamish really.

Yeah man. I remember the rape scene now. Maybe it's because I don't have children, but I don't have any sort of issues with ultraviolent scenes though, I can no longer watch death videos on the interwebs...I've had my fill.

Seen OldBoy and Thirst? How about the Girl with the Dragoon Tatoo original trilogy, and the original Let the Right One In? How about Casshern? Also, I already mentioned City of God, Sanjuro, and Seven Samurai.

Those are some of my favorite foreign flicks. Of course, if you count anime there's a ton more.

Yes on Old Boy and Thirst. I think the Koreans put out some great movies...though not of the same genre, I really liked Mother. And Memories of Murder is great too. Let The Right One In was good. I have not heard of Casshern...added to my list.

Have you seen We Need To Talk About Kevin? ****. So damn good. Also, the Pusher trilogy is decent.

Yes on Old Boy and Thirst. I think the Koreans put out some great movies...though not of the same genre, I really liked Mother. And Memories of Murder is great too. Let The Right One In was good. I have not heard of Casshern...added to my list.

Have you seen We Need To Talk About Kevin? ****. So damn good. Also, the Pusher trilogy is decent.

I've seen Memories of Murder (own the DVD, actually). Haven't seen any of the others you mentioned.

As for Casshern, it was one of the first movies to be shot almost entirely in front of green screen, a la Sin City. As such, the visuals are impressive, and it has a very dream-like quality to it. FWIW, the American release version cut 20 minutes from the film, get the Japanese release if possible. Also, I was extremely impressed with the acting of Akira Terao, who plays the male lead's father. Casshern is the only movie I've ever seen him in.

Woman of the dunes. I don't know how I forgot that. That movie is very existential. I can't really describe it. It is like reading Camus. It is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Go watch it.

Interesting interview with Mr. McQueen on the originations of the movie he directed.

[video]https://www.bloomberg.com/video/mcqueen-on-12-years-a-slave-charlie-rose-02-24-3XwSjfToTFCIWwp4Ccr5VA.html

Woman of the dunes. I don't know how I forgot that. That movie is very existential. I can't really describe it. It is like reading Camus. It is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Go watch it.

Huh, well Roger Ebert certainly spoke highly of it. He wrote about the film as one of his "great movies" in 1998, and says this near the end:

"Woman in the Dunes” seemed to disappear for years. I tried to rent it for film classes, and couldn't. At Teshigahara's school in Tokyo, I was told vaguely by a translator that the master had chosen to look in new directions, instead of back at his old work. But now a fresh print has been released by Milestone, an American company dedicated to rescuing films, and seeing the film in 35 mm., I found it as radical, hard-edged and challenging as when I first saw it.

I'll definitely have to look into this one. Reading Ebert's review, it sounds like exactly the kind of thing I like.

Are we going foreign?

If so I would say Tokyo Story, Flavor of green tea over rice, anything by Ozu... can literally watch his movies all day & all night.

I would recommend Old Boy to everyone. Has the most ridiculous twist I have ever seen in a movie.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I just have this to say (I thought I'd posted it yesterday, but I guess I didn't):

A Fish Called Wanda.
<drops mic>