What's new

The Random Question Thread

interesting, thanks GF, somehow I never thought to look it up, I figured it was just some made-up phrase! And so I did just look it up, and in addition to the meaning you mentioned, I also saw that it can refer to the penance imposed by the priest after confession https://www.dictionary.com/browse/shrift

and some definitions refer specifically that it pertains to the confession of a prisoner just before his execution

https://grammarist.com/usage/short-shrift/

The idiom short shrift means brief and unsympathetic treatment.1 Shrift comes from the archaic verb shrive, meaning to impose a penance upon. In its original form short shrift referred to a brief period of penance granted to a person condemned to death so he or she could be cured of immorality before execution.2 This original meaning has little relation to the modern sense of short shrift, which usually bears negative connotations. One usually does not want to be given short shrift.

Just want to get some other opinions on this.

I've read restaurant reviews where they leave 1 star (and then say the stupidest thing ever written in a review with a 1-5 star rating system, that "I'd leave 0 stars if I could." well you can't. No one is confused that your 1 star review means you actually liked it) and it's all because they found a hair in their food.

So I don't want random hair in my food. I don't think anyone does. But honestly, if I find a hair in my food I take it out and I keep eating. It doesn't ruin everything in the universe for me and I don't think there is anything especially gross about hair. I mean you know they very possibly touched the plate you're eating on with their hands, right? Hands are a top 3 dirtiest part of a human body in my opinion, but we seem to be cool with hands touching our stuff.

Anyway, if you find a hair in your food does that mean the food is instantly trash?

If it happened more than once, maybe. They are supposed to be wearing headgear, and if they let that slide, what else do they let slide?
Yeah, if I went to same place and found a hair in my food more than once I'd probably be less inclined to go back. But our bodies are covered in hair and it falls out. It doesn't gross me out. I don't want it in my food but some people react like they are sick and might need to go to the ER.

Eh, everybody finds different things gross. Hair evokes a visceral reaction in some people because it is viewed as so foreign to food, and has a very off-putting feeling in the mouth. Bacteria can't be seen so people don't worry about that.

We once bought a pizza, then got home and I picked up a slice and 2 other slices came with it connected by a long black hair. My wife took it back and came home and said that one of the girls working there has waist length black hair. The mystery was solved!

Now I'm too much a nihilist to care about **** like that. The fecal bacteria and insect parts should be a bigger deal, but we freak out over only what we can detect.

Last edited:
But I share the review irritation. I hate hate hate 1 star reviews like on Amazon where the review is "it got here 2 days late and the box was crushed in shipping so then I had to return it. One star!" With no commentary about the item at all. Those are just stupid people bitching, but have nothing at all to do with the product.

Makes me think of a restaurant review where they gave the restaurant one star because the parking lot of the strip mall was full. Yeah, that sure ****s with the food, amirite?

I hate when people give a 1 star review when its their fault for the issue, blame the wrong person for the issue (such as the shipping company), or use a 1 star review to get a question answered fast. It is pretty rare that a product or company should get a 1 star review. But people are really petty and kind of stupid in general.

Eh, everybody finds different things gross. Hair evokes a visceral reaction in some people because it is viewed as so foreign to food, and has a very off-putting feeling in the mouth. Bacteria can't be seen so people don't worry about that.

We once bought a pizza, then got home and I picked up a slice and 2 other slices came with it connected by a long black hair. My wife took it back and came home and said that one of the girls working there has waist length black hair. The mystery was solved!

Now I'm too much a nihilist to care about **** like that. The fecal bacteria and insect parts should be a bigger deal, but we freak out over only what we can detect.

When I was on my mission in Honduras my Nicaraguan companion literally pulled a dead cockroach out of his dinner one night (we paid members to cook for us). He was instantly done and almost vomiting. I finished my dinner and then ate about half of his. He didn’t eat for like a day and a half.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

should I be proud of jazzfanz for not having a Depp vs Heard thread?

Think we dropped the ball on that, two thoroughly unlikable arseholes go to court calling each other names like a pair of spoiled brats. Followed by a bunch of other unlikable arseholes and a broad collection of idiots attaching an importance to it that beggars belief to forward their own ill informed views and agendas. Seems perfect for Jazzfanz.

Think we dropped the ball on that, two thoroughly unlikable arseholes go to court calling each other names like a pair of spoiled brats. Followed by a bunch of other unlikable arseholes and a broad collection of idiots attaching an importance to it that beggars belief to forward their own ill informed views and agendas. Seems perfect for Jazzfanz.
Hmm, if this is your response then we really really need a thread about this.

Hmm, if this is your response then we really really need a thread about this.

I think late June or July maybe even August would have been better timing in terms of getting us through the post season. Really I'm just glad the 45 seconds of **** American news every night on TV can be dedicated to school shootings, Donald Trump and the pesky war in Ukraine. But yeah the dog days on Jazzfanz awaits, actually unless something really changes I'm not too enthused about the coming season.

All that noise aside

ONCE UPON A TIME IN LONDONGRAD is excellent. stream it somewhere

Okay this is going to sound really bad but here it goes.

When you see a news article about a motorcyclist killed in a crash does anyone else open the story hoping the motorcyclist is someone they know? Of the motorcyclists I know or have known personally I don't think I've ever liked one of them.

I'm not actively rooting for them to die in a crash but if a human died in a crash anyway might as well be someone you don't like, right?