What's new

The Ringer's Jonathan Tjarks raves about Utah Jazz on Twitter

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
no clue but it passed the eye test. I mean Miami went 7 games with no Bosh or Whiteside, while Dragic was largely MIA

Toronto was banged up inside as well remember and Dragic wasn't MIA. 18.9 points per game on 45.6%/36.0%/82.6%, 3.4, 5.3.

I could easily see Quin going elsewhere to avoid being too predictable and also to take advantage of certain matchups.

Agreed. Hayward isn't Michael Jordan and hardly deserves the respect to go to him every single time. I imagine it will largely depend on who the hot hand is and match-ups.

I could easily see Quin going elsewhere to avoid being too predictable and also to take advantage of certain matchups or if someone else has had the hot hand.
I'd be shocked if Hayward and Hood are in the game, last possession to decide the game, and put it in JJs hands.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'd be shocked if Hayward and Hood are in the game, last possession to decide the game, and put it in JJs hands.

I suspect you call a play for the open shooter. If they were drawing plays up for Trey Burke, you have to think that Johnson will get a look, no? The nice thing about our roster now is that there is no obvious double team in the closing seconds. Hayward, Hood, and Johnson can all drive if the option is open to them as well. Trey and Slow Joe weren't really good at doing that.

I suspect you call a play for the open shooter. If they were drawing plays up for Trey Burke, you have to think that Johnson will get a look, no? The nice thing about our roster now is that there is no obvious double team in the closing seconds. Hayward, Hood, and Johnson can all drive if the option is open to them as well. Trey and Slow Joe weren't really good at doing that.
Teams don't really call plays in the final possession of a game. They typically just run an inbound play to get the ball to the best player then either iso or high pnr with shooters spaced.

I feel sticky after reading this thread. You guys need to temper your expectations. We are a lot better, but 50+ wins?

Teams don't really call plays in the final possession of a game. They typically just run an inbound play to get the ball to the best player then either iso or high pnr with shooters spaced.

Hopefully getting the open shooter on the iso double. But yeah, they call plays too which is why you often see the opposing team take a timeout once they see the package and positioning of the inbounds. The positioning of the shooters off the iso is most definitely pre-meditated. Teams would be idiotic just to go streetball in the final seconds. Most don't.

Last edited:
It certainly helps to have Joe Johnson awaiting an eventual Hayward pass over Trey Burke or Chris Johnson. I suspect a little less hero ball from Hayward.

Gawd-damn, the shot-making abilities of a Hill-Hood-Hayward-Johnson-Favors lineup in the clutch tho.
iirc before the injury last year Burks was one of the most clutch players in the entire nba.
So ya, lots of good go to options at the end of close games for sure.

I feel sticky after reading this thread. You guys need to temper your expectations. We are a lot better, but 50+ wins?

It's not like we are out on a limb by ourselves. A lot of sports writers are pegging Utah at 50 wins and other team fans have us 3-6 seeding.

It's not like we are out on a limb by ourselves. A lot of sports writers are pegging Utah at 50 wins and other team fans have us 3-6 seeding.

From Zach Lowe's Free Agency Winners and Losers: "This is a versatile, mammoth team that should win 50 games next season. Seriously, predicting 50 wins for the Jazz is not bold. They are that good."

His whole article is worth a read, he has 5 or 6 paragraphs on the Jazz. https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16992129/rating-won-lost-nba-free-agency-period

I don't think a 10 win increase is being overly optimistic at all when we are (potentially) adding a full season of Exum, Hill, J.Johnson, & Diaw, ¾ season of Burks, & ¼ season of Favors/Gobert (not to mention internal development) while only losing Burke, Booker, & (likely) C.Johnson. Come to think of it, a 10 win improvement might actually be somewhat tempered (assuming we are reasonably healthy).

Great article.

If the Jazz don't make the playoffs this year, the season will have been a complete disaster. I am very excited.

Yessir, absolutely.

I'll even go further....we will be a top 10 team in the league. And there's a chance at us being top 5 too.