What's new

The unrepentant Rudy Gobert support thread

Listening to @Tony Jones podcast and I’m legitimately nervous about the DM Rudy dynamic. DMs comments about on court friction and the off court stuff was separate. Says they are “good” not like a ringing endorsement. So Tony says hey they aren’t best friends they are more coworkers. Problem is it isn’t a normal working environment and I think we’ve seen dudes teaming up with guys they are friends with. If I have a coworker i don’t like it isn’t like we are forced to work directly together in high stress environments and take constant toad trips and such.

Tony and Zach talked about how Rudy stopped defending for a few weeks. Looking at the effort it requires in the video above I kind of get it... if he feels he isn’t getting the credit or others are playing more selfishly then why kill himself making them all look good. I just hope they suck it up and both give their best in the bubble. Otherwise I think the contract extension talks will break down for Rudy and we are headed for a breakup.

Listening to @Tony Jones podcast and I’m legitimately nervous about the DM Rudy dynamic. DMs comments about on court friction and the off court stuff was separate. Says they are “good” not like a ringing endorsement. So Tony says hey they aren’t best friends they are more coworkers. Problem is it isn’t a normal working environment and I think we’ve seen dudes teaming up with guys they are friends with. If I have a coworker i don’t like it isn’t like we are forced to work directly together in high stress environments and take constant toad trips and such.

Tony and Zach talked about how Rudy stopped defending for a few weeks. Looking at the effort it requires in the video above I kind of get it... if he feels he isn’t getting the credit or others are playing more selfishly then why kill himself making them all look good. I just hope they suck it up and both give their best in the bubble. Otherwise I think the contract extension talks will break down for Rudy and we are headed for a breakup.

Ultimately, their work is a "game", and they are millionaires several times over. While they may never be best friends, that is not a reason to tear it down and start a 10 year rebuilding project. There just isn't a smoking gun reason why there could be some long lasting dislike for one another.

Ultimately, their work is a "game", and they are millionaires several times over. While they may never be best friends, that is not a reason to tear it down and start a 10 year rebuilding project. There just isn't a smoking gun reason why there could be some long lasting dislike for one another.
Their work is a game technically... but it’s high pressure high stress and they have to work together in a way we don’t... botching a presentation is one thing but botching it with millions watching and breaking down all the mistakes. You may not be best friends but I think they need to like each other or enjoy working together... it doesn’t seem like they do right now. Having a friendship can help push past issues on court.

IDK but I’m going to be watching their on court interactions closely.

Rudy seems more open to simply just saying it’s not okay. Donovan’s comments yesterday were more promising than Rudy’s today IMO. Idk, I don’t think it’s great. Donovan acknowledging and admitting he had issues with Rudy prior to Covid was a new admission. I really don’t know. I don’t expect much good when they return to play tbh. One fo them is gone, which one that is idk. Rudy IMO is actually more committed to the franchise and being here. Donovan is the better guy to keep for your franchise but I feel like he’s lost the youthful lust and commitment he had because of a few things. I think Donovan wants his max extension, I don’t think the Jazz want to give Rudy a super max. I really don’t know what plays out exactly tbh.

God!! I don’t want another rebuild.
I don’t know how this goes. One of them is gone IMO. I can’t judge who yet. If Don doesn’t sign a 5 year fully guaranteed max contract I’d trade him. If he does, I’d trade Rudy and I think it’s going to come to that. It’s possible it doesn’t. Orlando is going to determine everything.

I don’t agree with the bottom analysis at all. That’s a pretty bad take. You kind of get it? He needs to play like that if he’s capable especially with the type of money he’s going to want.

I don’t agree with the bottom analysis at all. That’s a pretty bad take. You kind of get it? He needs to play like that if he’s capable especially with the type of money he’s going to want.
He’s done it for years and it’s hard as hell... his off naive role is also super hard... watch the dude set multiple screens and dive each possession. If guys aren’t playing for you (the team) then why give the absurd effort required to do everything he does.

So yeah I kinda get it... guys don’t adjust and get you the ball when you are wide *** open... why put in super human effort to cover up all their mistakes... he took a few weeks off to maybe prove something.

The millions of dollars is a weak argument... all these guys are making and looking to make millions... they do not always give their best effort no matter what.

if we cut ties with donovan and keep rudy, he'll spend an entire career playing for utah if asked. if we cut ties with rudy and keep donovan, he will finish at most *one* more contract with Utah before he leaves.

a lot of me is actually upset with the front office- stop being 'yes-men' and get on Donovan's ***. if he pulls a D-Will and runs away, then who gives a damn. they're too star-struck with their most marketable athlete since Karl Malone, and they're about to lose both Donovan and Rudy because of it.

if we cut ties with donovan and keep rudy, he'll spend an entire career playing for utah if asked. if we cut ties with rudy and keep donovan, he will finish at most *one* more contract with Utah before he leaves.

a lot of me is actually upset with the front office- stop being 'yes-men' and get on Donovan's ***. if he pulls a D-Will and runs away, then who gives a damn. they're too star-struck with their most marketable athlete since Karl Malone, and they're about to lose both Donovan and Rudy because of it.
This. Absolutely. This is total dog **** and the FO is inadvertently laying the groundwork for finding us in a ****** situation and making a ****** decision(s) and then being able to hide behind “hey, it was a ****** situation, we didn’t have much choice.” KOC and Greg did this for 2-3 years before it exploded with DWill vs. Sloan.

Them choosing to passively alienate Gobert to fortify bridges with Donovan is, in my opinion, largely because they’re struck with all the glitter and off-the-court attention Donovan gets and feels it’s financially better for the team. It is. Short-term, at least. Ultimately, this is a money-making endeavor, and the organization tying its wagon to Donovan’s brand helps monetarily. But, as fans, it’s not about the glitter and spotlights. I mean, for some perhaps, but generally... we’re looking for contention and titles. All that **** is secondary. And as fans, it’s our money and investment of time that drives this whole enterprise. I want to win games and go deep in the playoffs. Relative to that, IDGAF about how hip we are, how much publicity we get, etc. I want a ****ing banner or two. All that other **** fades away.

Does anyone give a **** about Grant Hill’s Sprite commercials from the 90s? No? I didn’t think so. Or who was on the cover of NBA Live for Sega Genesis in ‘95? No? Oh. That’s right. Who won the title in ‘95? I’d bet 90+% of you could tell me that without looking it up.

Rudy laid it all out yesterday. He said he’s happy in Utah, that things aren’t perfect, but that he wants to win a championship here. Rudy wants some accolades, as does Donovan, and Donovan wants to win a championship, just like Rudy, but they each value those two things in different levels, and I know which individual lines up closer to my values on both of those issues.

There’s a significant portion of the fanbase who would be very upset with doing anything with Donovan. But yes the franchise is certainly kissing Dons ***.
This. Absolutely. This is total dog **** and the FO is inadvertently laying the groundwork for finding us in a ****** situation and making a ****** decision(s) and then being able to hide behind “hey, it was a ****** situation, we didn’t have much choice.” KOC and Greg did this for 2-3 years before it exploded with DWill vs. Sloan.

Them choosing to passively alienate Gobert to fortify bridges with Donovan is, in my opinion, largely because they’re struck with all the glitter and off-the-court attention Donovan gets and feels it’s financially better for the team. It is. Short-term, at least. Ultimately, this is a money-making endeavor, and the organization tying its wagon to Donovan’s brand helps monetarily. But, as fans, it’s not about the glitter and spotlights. I mean, for some perhaps, but generally... we’re looking for contention and titles. All that **** is secondary. And as fans, it’s our money and investment of time that drives this whole enterprise. I want to win games and go deep in the playoffs. Relative to that, IDGAF about how hip we are, how much publicity we get, etc. I want a ****ing banner or two. All that other **** fades away.

Does anyone give a **** about Grant Hill’s Sprite commercials from the 90s? No? I didn’t think so. Or who was on the cover of NBA Live for Sega Genesis in ‘95? No? Oh. That’s right. Who won the title in ‘95? I’d bet 90+% of you could tell me that without looking it up.

Rudy laid it all out yesterday. He said he’s happy in Utah, that things aren’t perfect, but that he wants to win a championship here. Rudy wants some accolades, as does Donovan, and Donovan wants to win a championship, just like Rudy, but they each value those two things in different levels, and I know which individual lines up closer to my values on both of those issues.
I get one of two things out of what Rudy said. He said the Utah stuff which is great. He also said I don’t plan on leaving “right now”. We shall see what happens in Orlando, but Rudy’s setting himself up nicely to also be able to say “hey, it wasn’t me who wouldn’t make it work” if he wants to be traded or leaves. Jazz also aren’t handing out that super-max.

Donovan.......like I truly don’t know. I feel like he’s allowed so pretty strange things to effect him more than he should. Social media comments are simply not the place to judge your reality.

I do think you have to split this at some point though. And it may be worth doing it sooner rather than later before it ends up worse.

I think video from their interviews adds something to the way they feel, here’s both interviews in video:

Don:

Rudy:

Also don’t know that I love this is Donovan’s moms latest re-tweet

Honestly if you’re asking me, I think in October, the contract Donovan signs is what you base your decision off of moving forward. If it’s anything but a fully guaranteed, 5 year extension, no options....I think you trade him. We will find out in October where Donovan stands honestly. Donovan has got to grow up though.

Yeah pretty cryptic, isn't it?

Anyway I still believe he is fighting for a just cause.
He’s fighting for a just cause no doubt, I just think he’s putting too much weight on some things that don’t deserve much weight. Who knows exactly what this means, could mean a lot of things but it’s certainly cryptic and doesn’t feel great.

That being said, if he chooses to play for James Dolan, who was the sole NBA owner not interested in making social justice statements, I guess he’s only paying attention to signs that fit what make it fit what he wants. And yes I could be reading too far into this, but it’s some sort of cryptic.

Last edited: