What's new

The We Should Try Juwan Morgan as a Backup Center Thread

Best chance to win is TB. Period. Like I said juwan is far from
Ready.
Juwan is more skilled than Tony. Period. Exclamation Point!

Neither guy is ready... Juwan is slightly older and is new to the NBA but has a lot of college experience and was more effective in the G League than Tony ever was and it isn't close.

Juwan raw numbers in g league 17pts 8 rebounds 3 assists 2 blocks 2 steals in 27 minutes... per 36 that's 22.5/11/3.7/2.8/2.6 Then you look at the shooting splits... 70% overall 55% from 3 and 67 from the line.

Tony's numbers last year 13.5/7.1/1.3/.3/1.2 on 59%/26%/45% per36 19/10/2/.4/1.6

Gsw found out about dray way before lee got hurt. Cmon man. You dont JUST find out, you see **** in practice. I trust in snyder and the coaching staff a lot more than armchair GMs on forums.

How come David Lee was starting over Draymond until he got hurt then... how could his coach who saw him every day in practice not see that playing him would unlock a fierce defense that helped create a dynasty.

He's too small, 6-7, maybe 6-8 230 -- even for a PF he's small. Houston can get away with Tucker only for brief periods and because he's money from corner 3's.
Draymond is 6-6

Tucker is thick so he can hold his postion in the post... its a huge advantage because he can shoot and switch on to perimeter guys. There is a chance Morgan can do that... not saying he will for sure... but there's a chance.

Who do u get? TB hasnt been all that terrible when called upon.
If you think he’s our best option then we’re ****ed. HH has it right hen he said that 30 seconds against the Wizards is what the playoffs will look like. Rudy in foul trouble and Quin tells him he had to pull him for just one minute. Bradley doesn’t even make it 30 seconds before Quin says, “**** it. It doesn’t matter. I have to put him back in.” He didn’t last 30 seconds against the ****ing Wizards. Imagine when that’s a western conference playoff team. Jeff Withey’s dead corpse could give us better spot minutes.

Montrez Harrell is basically the starting center for the clippers at 6-7... I get that we'd like a bigger option but do you think TB would be better guarding Harrell? I do not.

Howard gets blocks and steals at a high rate... so if it isn't because of height, length, or athleticism then he has elite hands, timing, and feel. TB is fine I guess, but I'd think we would be preparing for the playoffs at some point and I like Morgan's chances in the playoffs over TB for sure.

Again he has been a 4 and stuffed in the corner when he's played with the Jazz... role matters. Watch the G League highlights... we need to see what he can do with some high pick and roll from the top of the key. Almost all of his three point attempts are from above the break... he's shooting from the corner away from the ball when he's played with us.

Maybe you split time between him and TB for now... TB has been okay and I don't want him to be discouraged, but its an area worth experimenting.

If you think he’s our best option then we’re ****ed. HH has it right hen he said that 30 seconds against the Wizards is what the playoffs will look like. Rudy in foul trouble and Quin tells him he had to pull him for just one minute. Bradley doesn’t even make it 30 seconds before Quin says, “**** it. It doesn’t matter. I have to put him back in.” He didn’t last 30 seconds against the ****ing Wizards. Imagine when that’s a western conference playoff team. Jeff Withey’s dead corpse could give us better spot minutes.
just one game dude. Bradley played well against the Bucks when Rudy went down and had a whopping 191 ORtg in that game. again, not indicative of anything but sometimes players just don't have a good night. especially true for a young player like Bradley to stay consistent. not to mention Wizs is actually one of the better teams offensively in the league that could really score on some good teams. they just suck on D.

Last edited:
You can try it for spot minutes. He can at least guard guys a few inches bigger. Could be cool to have a 5-out.

You can try it for spot minutes. He can at least guard guys a few inches bigger. Could be cool to have a 5-out.
I believe this look alone (given the context that the 5 is not an unmitigated disaster on defense and on the boards [or in other words, not fit to play the position]) could swing entire games if not series. I'm not sure I believe Morgan could be potent enough of a threat to do that this year, but maybe through some miracle someone else could (Baynes would be a dream-scenario).

When Bradley is good on D is when he's just being big in the lane and using verticality. Morgan can't give you that, so Utah would have to change the way it plays defense.

Maybe that's partly why they are sticking with Bradley?

I believe this look alone (given the context that the 5 is not an unmitigated disaster on defense and on the boards [or in other words, not fit to play the position]) could swing entire games if not series. I'm not sure I believe Morgan could be potent enough of a threat to do that this year, but maybe through some miracle someone else could (Baynes would be a dream-scenario).
I think I might trust Morgan's shot more than Baynes… He's really cooled down and is a career 31.7% 3p shooter... I think the fact that its so ugly is the real reason.

But you've got the idea... would Morgan be better than Bradley is on defense? I think the answer is yes unless TB really improves. I think Morgan can catch and finish on the pick and roll better than TB and he can shoot (theoretically). He takes a little bit to load it up, so he needs some space but so does Baynes.

I don't know that anyone is gonna post up Morgan... he got a lot of *** and he clearly has good hands... Consistent rim protection might be the biggest issue, but TB really ain't providing much of that either.

When Bradley is good on D is when he's just being big in the lane and using verticality. Morgan can't give you that, so Utah would have to change the way it plays defense.

Maybe that's partly why they are sticking with Bradley?

Probably true... I think it is partly because he was in line first. He might get better but the issue is he doesn't bother a lot of shots and he's done better staying vertical, but still picking up fouls being a little late and guys are still going through him. It seems like he's going through the motion rather than doing it instinctively and for a real effect... like he's saying to himself "this is what coach wants".

To be fair to the kid I see the wheels turning and I see the effort and hustle. His offensive rebounding and putbacks have helped.

I just look at where the league is headed and the tools Morgan has and get excited about what he could become. Since we aren't getting amazing production now it might be worth a shot... I mean Quin tried Green at center for a few minutes in a game.

Probably true... I think it is partly because he was in line first. He might get better but the issue is he doesn't bother a lot of shots and he's done better staying vertical, but still picking up fouls being a little late and guys are still going through him. It seems like he's going through the motion rather than doing it instinctively and for a real effect... like he's saying to himself "this is what coach wants".

To be fair to the kid I see the wheels turning and I see the effort and hustle. His offensive rebounding and putbacks have helped.

I just look at where the league is headed and the tools Morgan has and get excited about what he could become. Since we aren't getting amazing production now it might be worth a shot... I mean Quin tried Green at center for a few minutes in a game.
Bradley just has bad body language. He gets down on himself easily. He actually hustles pretty hard. He runs the floor at an impressive speed as well. I just wish he was a more physical player.

Bradley just has bad body language. He gets down on himself easily. He actually hustles pretty hard. He runs the floor at an impressive speed as well. I just wish he was a more physical player.
He runs the floor hard for sure... Like I said I see the effort and he looks like he's trying to change and make some improvements but its like he doesn't know how to use his body without fouling or he's just seeing things late.

Can't hurt to give it a try, if it doesn't work then we don't have to stick with it. Bradley is playing way better than Ed was but he still leaves a lot to be desired at that backup 5 spot.

Tony played his best defensive game of the year.

Im shocked I’m defending Tony but the Morgan idea is just that. I love the idea of the dude but I can’t see us experimenting with him.

Even if we did, the reality is neither Morgan, Bradley or Davis get any real burn in the playoffs. We simply need another guy for that and he isn’t on the team right now.

just one game dude. Bradley played well against the Bucks when Rudy went down and had a whopping 191 ORtg in that game. again, not indicative of anything but sometimes players just don't have a good night. especially true for a young player like Bradley to stay consistent. not to mention Wizs is actually one of the better teams offensively in the league that could really score on some good teams. they just suck on D.
Just one game he says... then proceeds to quote another game as evidence for his own claim.