What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

The Wheel of Time (Amazon)

TheGoldStandard

Some probably do, and he probably did at one point, but if he actually enjoyed doing it, don't you think he would?

There are some writers, it seems, whose goal is not to write the best book they can, or even write a best selling book, except insomuch as those goals serve the ultimate goal of getting an adaptation made, because that's where the real money comes from.
The problem is GRRM develops the story as he writes. Yes, he has a general outline, but he creates as he writes, and he doesn't control the branching narratives well, and now he is overwhelemed and can't finish.

Authors like Brandon Sanderson map out the entire story first, and write the story to fit the outline. It is why he can publish a book or more per year.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
The problem is GRRM develops the story as he writes. Yes, he has a general outline, but he creates as he writes, and he doesn't control the branching narratives well, and now he is overwhelemed and can't finish.

Authors like Brandon Sanderson map out the entire story first, and write the story to fit the outline. It is why he can publish a book or more per year.

Stephen king (my favorite author) writes like GRRM too. Just kind of wings it.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

TheGoldStandard

Stephen king (my favorite author) writes like GRRM too. Just kind of wings it.

Most of Kings stories are one off so "easier" to do. Trying to write an epic fantasy that you need an appendix for the reader to keep track of characters would be a nightmare without careful and detailed planning. Not knocking GRRM, just stating his style has created a logistical nightmare. Rumors are the next book release will be Nov 2023. So give another 12 years for the final book and GRRM will be around 87. Just wish he'd stop all the side projects and finish the beast. At the same time, stepping away from a difficult task for something easy would be tempting to do. Barring another author finishing them, I don't think they'll get done. GRRM should hire a couple novelists to help him finish.

I think many of Kings books are excellent, and many are meh. The Shawshank novella is a great read. Red was Irish, so the movie joke about it was even better as an homage to the novella. One of the best movies, crazy it did poorly in theatres. I did get to see it on the big screen when it got a second wind re-release.

The Dark Tower books were good but really went down hill the last few books. Which is why I hope GRRM is just taking the time to do it his books right, but time is not on his side.

leftyjace

I really like the casting of the 3 young male leads. I also like the actress that plays Egwene but I think she is more suited to play Nynaeve as she looks just like I pictured Nynaeve when I read the books. Either way, they have done a great job with casting. Really like Lan, Padan fain (i think that is his name), and moraine. Also thought the trollics looked right and the eyeless was super creepy and scary. Im liking it so far. Thought some of the laughter in the dancing scene (when the village was all dancing) was really cheesy and forced and lame and there was a bit of other forced cheesiness but overall I think its been well done so far.
Interesting take, and don’t disagree with it.
The breakout performance in my opinion though is Zoe Robbins as Nynaeve… she just kills it.
I can still hear Daniel Henney as Lan saying “Oh, you really tried to kill me” - classic Nynaeve.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Interesting take, and don’t disagree with it.
The breakout performance in my opinion though is Zoe Robbins as Nynaeve… she just kills it.
I can still hear Daniel Henney as Lan saying “Oh, you really tried to kill me” - classic Nynaeve.

I just finished episode three and nynaeve hasnt really been in it much yet. Im guessing she will be in the third episode more

Jaymz

I made it an episode and a half, and just didn’t care for it.

I wanted to like it, it just didn’t flow for me.

That’s unfortunate. Good things usually don’t come quickly. And if they do they end up like Game of Thrones, with a terrible ending. Rome was not built in a day, invest in one season

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

leftyjace

I didn’t like several of the departures from the books.
You're not alone.
FWIW, there are those in the "Community" that have seen the first 6 episodes, and all of them have rated this week's episode quite highly. It also has a great episode title - "The Dragon Reborn". Looking forward to it.

leftyjace

I just finished episode three and nynaeve hasnt really been in it much yet. Im guessing she will be in the third episode more

She wasn't there much in Episode 2, for sure except for at the end. She plays a much larger role in Episode 3, and moving forward.
She's definitely got a major part to play in the series.

MT Steve

Contributor
7.4 on IMDb. Oof. About what I expected. Doesn’t bode well.
Nah. The Median score is 9, which is similar to other top ranked shows on IMDB, and means most people who watch it are really liking it.

What the Wheel of Time also has, that other top ranked shows don't, is a lot of angry book fans who are giving it a 1/10 solely because it has changes from the books. Kind of expected that.