What's new

The Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Interesting take, and don’t disagree with it.
The breakout performance in my opinion though is Zoe Robbins as Nynaeve… she just kills it.
I can still hear Daniel Henney as Lan saying “Oh, you really tried to kill me” - classic Nynaeve.

I just finished episode three and nynaeve hasnt really been in it much yet. Im guessing she will be in the third episode more

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I made it an episode and a half, and just didn’t care for it.

I wanted to like it, it just didn’t flow for me.

That’s unfortunate. Good things usually don’t come quickly. And if they do they end up like Game of Thrones, with a terrible ending. Rome was not built in a day, invest in one season

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I didn’t like several of the departures from the books.
You're not alone.
FWIW, there are those in the "Community" that have seen the first 6 episodes, and all of them have rated this week's episode quite highly. It also has a great episode title - "The Dragon Reborn". Looking forward to it.

I just finished episode three and nynaeve hasnt really been in it much yet. Im guessing she will be in the third episode more

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
She wasn't there much in Episode 2, for sure except for at the end. She plays a much larger role in Episode 3, and moving forward.
She's definitely got a major part to play in the series.

7.4 on IMDb. Oof. About what I expected. Doesn’t bode well.
Nah. The Median score is 9, which is similar to other top ranked shows on IMDB, and means most people who watch it are really liking it.

What the Wheel of Time also has, that other top ranked shows don't, is a lot of angry book fans who are giving it a 1/10 solely because it has changes from the books. Kind of expected that.

Nah. The Median score is 9, which is similar to other top ranked shows on IMDB, and means most people who watch it are really liking it.

What the Wheel of Time also has, that other top ranked shows don't, is a lot of angry book fans who are giving it a 1/10 solely because it has changes from the books. Kind of expected that.

It works both ways. You also have fanboys (like with Nolan) who will give it a 9 or 10 because they grew up masturbating to the text. They can’t be objective. I’ll watch 3-4 episodes and give my review at some point.

It works both ways.
Well not exactly. When the median score is high (it is), the average is going to be a lot more affected by the 1/10 angry fans than the 10/10 fanboys, because the most popular score is a LOT closer to the fanboy score than the angry book fan score.

But that aside, that's why I brought up the median to begin with. The most popular score is a 9. It's not pulled by the 1/10 angry fans and the 10/10 fanboys like the average would be. Most people love the show, but it also has a lot of haters. That is worlds different and much better than a scenario where everybody is meh on it.

Well not exactly. When the median score is high (it is), the average is going to be a lot more affected by the 1/10 angry fans than the 10/10 fanboys, because the most popular score is a LOT closer to the fanboy score than the angry book fan score.

But that aside, that's why I brought up the median to begin with. The most popular score is a 9. It's not pulled by the 1/10 angry fans and the 10/10 fanboys like the average would be. Most people love the show, but it also has a lot of haters. That is worlds different and much better than a scenario where everybody is meh on it.

Thats fair. But you could literally say this with any score on IMDb. There are outliers who don’t like something. Generally speaking, I find the averages extremely accurate (within 0.3) of what I would rate the shows/movies 95% of the time.

And for the score to be. 7.7 so early is just not a good sign. The far majority of the time, scores come down over time. That could easily be a 7.2-7.3 within the next year.

Thats fair. But you could literally say this with any score on IMDb.
Not really. Just browsing through other shows with a similar score to Wheel of Time, they all have somewhere between just 1-4% of all their scores as 1/10. Wheel of Time's is 8.1%.

You're not alone.
FWIW, there are those in the "Community" that have seen the first 6 episodes, and all of them have rated this week's episode quite highly. It also has a great episode title - "The Dragon Reborn". Looking forward to it.
Community is a great show.

Thats fair. But you could literally say this with any score on IMDb. There are outliers who don’t like something. Generally speaking, I find the averages extremely accurate (within 0.3) of what I would rate the shows/movies 95% of the time.

And for the score to be. 7.7 so early is just not a good sign. The far majority of the time, scores come down over time. That could easily be a 7.2-7.3 within the next year.
I kind of don't get this.

You haven't watched the show yet?

I actually expect the score to go up. The first episodes of a show typically are just trying to get the audience to know the characters and background of the story. Not a whole lot usually happens action/plot wise. Once the story is a bit established things can progress much quicker and the show can get more exciting.

Same goes for books. My favorite part of almost all books is the middle and a bit of the end. The beginning of a book is almost always my least favorite. Which makes sense because how am I going to love/like something when I have no idea who the characters are or what in the heck is going on? Books, and shows, always get better for me as they go along and I get more familiar with what is happening.

I actually expect the score to go up. The first episodes of a show typically are just trying to get the audience to know the characters and background of the story. Not a whole lot usually happens action/plot wise. Once the story is a bit established things can progress much quicker and the show can get more exciting.

Same goes for books. My favorite part of almost all books is the middle and a bit of the end. The beginning of a book is almost always my least favorite. Which makes sense because how am I going to love/like something when I have no idea who the characters are or what in the heck is going on? Books, and shows, always get better for me as they go along and I get more familiar with what is happening.

This, and also all of the book readers upset by the changes have already gotten their 1 star scores submitted.

plot-diagram.png

Generally I agree. However, interesting counterpoint, my very favorite part of the Dark Tower series was the first book, the Gunslinger, and the opening in that one was great. Set an awesome milieu that, frankly, he didn't carry on as well as was kind of "promised" by the first book. To me it all went downhill from there, although the middle was more of a plateau, still really good and enjoyable, until the throw-away crap ending. But for the most part you are right.

Dean Koontz is famous for this. Many of his books are a bit of a slog to get through the beginning set up for the middle and end. Necessary slog, but slog nonetheless.

This is also why many authors and others creating stories tend to start at an action sequence even if it means the story is told out of order. Not my favorite way to do it, but it gets your attention better at the beginning, even though you are often left wondering what the hell is going on.

Generally I agree. However, interesting counterpoint, my very favorite part of the Dark Tower series was the first book, the Gunslinger, and the opening in that one was great. Set an awesome milieu that, frankly, he didn't carry on as well as was kind of "promised" by the first book. To me it all went downhill from there, although the middle was more of a plateau, still really good and enjoyable, until the throw-away crap ending. But for the most part you are right.

Dean Koontz is famous for this. Many of his books are a bit of a slog to get through the beginning set up for the middle and end. Necessary slog, but slog nonetheless.

This is also why many authors and others creating stories tend to start at an action sequence even if it means the story is told out of order. Not my favorite way to do it, but it gets your attention better at the beginning, even though you are often left wondering what the hell is going on.
Book 4/5 of Dark Tower was the best. Then downhill fast. 2 was good too.