What's new

Thread for misc Jazz News leading up to training camp

I agree. I consider myself to be a bit of a dog expert and anytime someone is trying to decide what breed to get I always suggest a plain old lab. Cheap, great dispositions, relatively healthy, extremely adaptable, typically low maintenance. They can be chewers and are on the larger side (which some people don't want) but they are pretty great dogs for almost any person or family in almost any situation. Want an active dog to go on hikes and go to the beach and fishing and stuff? Lab is great for that. Want a lazy dog to sit around and watch Netflix with? Lab is great for that too. Single? Yep. Family with little kids? Yep. Have cats? Cool. Have other dogs? No problem .
100%. My lab will entertain guests and us by jumping and swimming in the pool for hours… when we go inside she’s totally cool just laying next to your feet. Loves the kids and never gets territorial or growls… even if they get rough. They are basically perfect dogs.

Labs are my family's favorite as well. Great dogs.

My brother's last one, though, was a hyperactive mess. She was supposed to be a hunting dog but was terrified of gunfire. She was not meant for suburban life, and is now living her best life on a farm with her brother.

Still missing my Malinois (from my avatar) passing away in June at nearly 15 years old. Incredible breed although definitely not for everyone.

Still missing my Malinois (from my avatar) passing away in June at nearly 15 years old. Incredible breed although definitely not for everyone.
One of the "coolest" breeds out there imo. Also one of the most demanding and difficult.

I love when I see one at the dog park. They are so cool

Labs are my family's favorite as well. Great dogs.

My brother's last one, though, was a hyperactive mess. She was supposed to be a hunting dog but was terrified of gunfire. She was not meant for suburban life, and is now living her best life on a farm with her brother.
My dog has working dog lines so they are high energy. Smartest thing I did was sent her to be trained at this place that boards them for 10 or so days. Made a world of difference. She only hunts birds and lizards in the yard though. Will let her go chase geese but not into hunting.

It is crazy how intuitive some of that stuff is. We never trained my child hood lab and she would full on point when we took her pheasant hunting once a year.

I agree. I consider myself to be a bit of a dog expert and anytime someone is trying to decide what breed to get I always suggest a plain old lab. Cheap, great dispositions, relatively healthy, extremely adaptable, typically low maintenance. They can be chewers and are on the larger side (which some people don't want) but they are pretty great dogs for almost any person or family in almost any situation. Want an active dog to go on hikes and go to the beach and fishing and stuff? Lab is great for that. Want a lazy dog to sit around and watch Netflix with? Lab is great for that too. Single? Yep. Family with little kids? Yep. Have cats? Cool. Have other dogs? No problem .
Yes, I agree. I have had a couple labs but I also want to promote golden retrievers. Yes they have long hair but they are even sweeter than labs. Great with kids, smart and love to be hugged and great on walks. I lost my golden retriever several years ago and I miss Sunny terribly. He could instantly change a bad day into a wonderful day. He was the Only being happy to see me every time we saw each other. When I retire, I will probably get me a golden and lab to keep me company.

Yes, I agree. I have had a couple labs but I also want to promote golden retrievers. Yes they have long hair but they are even sweeter than labs. Great with kids, smart and love to be hugged and great on walks. I lost my golden retriever several years ago and I miss Sunny terribly. He could instantly change a bad day into a wonderful day. He was the Only being happy to see me every time we saw each other. When I retire, I will probably get me a golden and lab to keep me company.
100%. In fact, golden retriever are better than labs imo. My mistake. But that hair tho.
I took my friends golden retriever hiking (along with a red healer and a jack russel terrier). I was driving a Tacoma at the time. I had the jack Russell and the healer in the bed of the truck and the golden retriever was in the cab of the truck behind the front seats.
I never saw so much hair in my life. My Tacoma interior was absolutely covered in super long *** hair. She was an awesome awesome dog though.

I get there are some general characteristics among breeds, but I find the whole x breed is better than y breed to be overblown, especially when it's to such a micro degree of labs vs retrievers.

I get there are some general characteristics among breeds, but I find the whole x breed is better than y breed to be overblown, especially when it's to such a micro degree of labs vs retrievers.
I will agree with the difference between labs and retrievers being small. I think you can get some of the characteristics you want from various breeds but that it is much more consistent in breeds known for those characteristics. We adopted a dog when we were first married and were lucky enough that it had a good disposition (he was a nut but def had some lab in him) but with kids I wanted to make sure it would be a fit so went for a pure bred lab. Later in life I may adopt another dog though… when I have time to be patient and find a good fit. All in all most dogs are good boys or girls… except Pomeranians… those Satan spawn can **** all the way off.

I was simply expressing my personal opinion about my experience with my dogs. There are dog rankings that experts make based up many factors. It is like sports, GOAT discussions. Everyone has an opinion but it is really what they have experienced. Some breeds are more popular than others but I agree it comes down to the personality of a dog. My daughter has a mix boxer, pit bull and you won't find a sweeter dog. Gets along with people, kids and other dogs. His name is Scooby.

100%. In fact, golden retriever are better than labs imo. My mistake. But that hair tho.
I took my friends golden retriever hiking (along with a red healer and a jack russel terrier). I was driving a Tacoma at the time. I had the jack Russell and the healer in the bed of the truck and the golden retriever was in the cab of the truck behind the front seats.
I never saw so much hair in my life. My Tacoma interior was absolutely covered in super long *** hair. She was an awesome awesome dog though.
In the summer time I have his hair cut short. He loves it because it is not so hot for him. I agree the hair-shedding is the worse thing about the breed but they are in my opinion the most loving dogs. Sunny was not a good guard dog either because anyone who came to the house he would shower them with kisses and love. hahaha

In the summer time I have his hair cut short. He loves it because it is not so hot for him. I agree the hair-shedding is the worse thing about the breed but they are in my opinion the most loving dogs. Sunny was not a good guard dog either because anyone who came to the house he would shower them with kisses and love. hahaha
I never want a good guard dog. Imo a good guard dog is a negative attribute