What's new

Thread for misc Jazz News leading up to training camp

I have had 3 dogs in my life and all 3 were black lab mixes. They were awesome dogs but each had very different personalities. One of them was a lab and pitbull mix and hands down the best dog ever.

Greyhounds my favorite

I think you kid.
One time (and one time only as no owns a greyhound) at the dog park there was a greyhound and we all know they are known for speed but holy **** its ridiculous to see it in person.
That day there was a border collie and a husky there (there usually is) and they were chasing the greyhoud. The border collie and husky were both at top speed and the greyhoud was lounging in like 3rd gear just toying with them. Suddenly the greyhoud went to too speed and pulled away from them like they were standing still.
It was mind boggling.

Last time i was at the dog park i saw the strangest looking dog i have ever seen. It was a greyhound mixed with an irish wolfhound. Ugly mo fo.

I think you kid.
One time (and one time only as no owns a greyhound) at the dog park there was a greyhound and we all know they are known for speed but holy **** its ridiculous to see it in person.
That day there was a border collie and a husky there (there usually is) and they were chasing the greyhoud. The border collie and husky were both at top speed and the greyhoud was lounging in like 3rd gear just toying with them. Suddenly the greyhoud went to too speed and pulled away from them like they were standing still.
It was mind boggling.

Last time i was at the dog park i saw the strangest looking dog i have ever seen. It was a greyhound mixed with an irish wolfhound. Ugly mo fo.
Nah, I dont. They look cool, they fast af, and when they arent being fast AF they are chill AF.

I use to dog/house sit for a couple that would leave the country for a month at a time and they I looked after two greyhounds for them and they was my faves.

sorry dudes, Portuguese water dog is the GOAT breed. basically zero flaws. excellent disposition, mid-size (small dogs suck and huge dogs are just too difficult for a normal sized house/yard most of the time), hypo allergenic, smart, excellent combination of energy and calm, loyal, long life span, relatively inexpensive (at least in utah), etc. basically everything fishon said about labs/golden retrievers, but they don't shed. non-shedding >>>>>>> shedding. if the dog sheds, it's already a strike or two against them even if everything else is perfect.

i'll go ahead and say Boxers are the most underrated breed. biggest issue with boxers are the short life span, health issues and they shed (though not very much). in terms of temperament, size, energy level, friendliness, athleticism, cost, they are pretty damn elite.

ftr, i'm not biased AT ALL despite the fact that those are the two breeds i currently own. :)

sorry dudes, Portuguese water dog is the GOAT breed. basically zero flaws. excellent disposition, mid-size (small dogs suck and huge dogs are just too difficult for a normal sized house/yard most of the time), hypo allergenic, smart, excellent combination of energy and calm, loyal, long life span, relatively inexpensive (at least in utah), etc. basically everything fishon said about labs/golden retrievers, but they don't shed. non-shedding >>>>>>> shedding. if the dog sheds, it's already a strike or two against them even if everything else is perfect.

i'll go ahead and say Boxers are the most underrated breed. biggest issue with boxers are the short life span, health issues and they shed (though not very much). in terms of temperament, size, energy level, friendliness, athleticism, cost, they are pretty damn elite.

ftr, i'm not biased AT ALL despite the fact that those are the two breeds i currently own. :)
Big fan of boxers too… the two I’ve known were awesome but sadly died early with heart issues.

Portuguese water dog sounds like a made up name for my Willy.

Slobber? I really wanted a boxer circa 1995.

I will agree with the difference between labs and retrievers being small. I think you can get some of the characteristics you want from various breeds but that it is much more consistent in breeds known for those characteristics. We adopted a dog when we were first married and were lucky enough that it had a good disposition (he was a nut but def had some lab in him) but with kids I wanted to make sure it would be a fit so went for a pure bred lab. Later in life I may adopt another dog though… when I have time to be patient and find a good fit. All in all most dogs are good boys or girls… except Pomeranians… those Satan spawn can **** all the way off.
Screenshot_20230918_120957_WhatsApp.jpg

That's the cutest Satan spawn I've ever seen!

This is the one we lost earlier this year. 14 years. What a great little dog. Pom shih tzu mix. I called it a pom-*****. Heh.

Last edited:
Nah, I dont. They look cool, they fast af, and when they arent being fast AF they are chill AF.

I use to dog/house sit for a couple that would leave the country for a month at a time and they I looked after two greyhounds for them and they was my faves.

You got lucky. Greyhouds are typically very difficult, unchill, pets to own. Which i why almost no one owns them

I think you kid.
It was mind boggling.

We had a friend who bred whippets. So so fast, absolutely nuts. He trained them really well, as show dogs primarily, some as just pets. But when when we took them to this huge dog park and let them run, good hell. One of them got wind of a rabbit and went to chase it to ground. Covered so much distance so fast. Fun to watch for sure.

My favorite dog is a harrier. But they need real space. We had one for a year but we just couldn't give it the space it needed. Once we settle down, retire or whatever, we hope to have some property somewhere and we can get a couple of harriers. Super-smart, great temperament, fun family dogs but great in the outdoors where they are really at home. Love them.

You got lucky. Greyhouds are typically very difficult, unchill, pets to own. Which i why almost no one owns them
Everything I've read about them has said the opposite of that.

Because greyhounds are wired for short burst they getting really tired pretty fast. You just have to let them sprint for a few minutes a day and give them like one 10 minute walk and they basically just sleep the rest of it.

I have had 3 dogs in my life and all 3 were black lab mixes. They were awesome dogs but each had very different personalities. One of them was a lab and pitbull mix and hands down the best dog ever.
Lmao I had a lab pit mix growing up and it couldn’t be left in the house alone. That dog had too much energy for its own good.

Everything I've read about them has said the opposite of that.

Because greyhounds are wired for short burst they getting really tired pretty fast. You just have to let them sprint for a few minutes a day and give them like one 10 minute walk and they basically just sleep the rest of it.

Strange that you dont see them around much

Strange that you dont see them around much
I actually see a lot. Maybe it was because I grew up near a greyhound racing track so a decent amount of people adopted retired racers, but I still see a decent amount here in Austin TX.

I think most people think they look weird.

That's why I cant get a dog. I can be gone for 24 hours at a time for my job, so getting any animal that can experience bad separation anxiety is difficult.
thats the responsible thing to do... even though it sucks. I see some families that I know get dogs and you can basically start a countdown clock to when that dog getting re-homed.