What's new

Time to shake it up!

You are talking in weird circles… if the product was garbage it still would not have the incredible demand just because it’s a live sport… WNBA is a live sport… how’s the demand there? People falling all over themselves to go get hockey? Of course it’s cool to own a franchise… guess what… it was cool a few years ago too but now the franchise values have maybe doubled since 3-4 years ago… in a ****ing recession… why is that? Because there is a shot ton of money headed their way… why… cuz there are a **** ton of eyeballs that want to watch the sport. Which is weird because it’s all meaningless garbage. And no you can’t buy a patch of grass and turn it to weeds and flip it for more 8 years later just due to inflation.

Have fun yelling at clouds… I watched a great basketball game tonight that probably means nothing at the end of the year. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Hahaha….It’s ok to completely ignore the massive industry that has directly increased the value of the NBA. Streaming services don’t exist and that has definitely not affected the value of NBA franchises. We can also ignore actual number viewership compared historically.

But saying that you can pay a patch of grass and sell it for more 8 years later is just killing me lol. It seems like a targeted attack on me as someone who thought about buying a home in a decent area. I would have been set if I bought the patch of grass (well it was dirt) behind my apartment 8 years ago. Please do not ask me to explain why the same house/plot of land can go up in price despite it being in worse shape years later.

You are not wrong that last nights game probably won’t end up meaning anything. I enjoyed it too, but it sucks that it won’t mean anything. I’m not policing your fun. Enjoy whatever you want.

Realistically a home is a poor investment from a building wealth standpoint, but I digress.

Hahaha….It’s ok to completely ignore the massive industry that has directly increased the value of the NBA. Streaming services don’t exist and that has definitely not affected the value of NBA franchises. We can also ignore actual number viewership compared historically.

But saying that you can pay a patch of grass and sell it for more 8 years later is just killing me lol. It seems like a targeted attack on me as someone who thought about buying a home in a decent area. I would have been set if I bought the patch of grass (well it was dirt) behind my apartment 8 years ago. Please do not ask me to explain why the same house/plot of land can go up in price despite it being in worse shape years later.

You are not wrong that last nights game probably won’t end up meaning anything. I enjoyed it too, but it sucks that it won’t mean anything. I’m not policing your fun. Enjoy whatever you want.
I mean if having a few new buyers is the difference then I assume the WNBA values are up 100x… I mean that’s a live sport too… it’s gone up because it’s a wildly popular live sport… and it’s popular because the product is good. Few new buyers has pushed the value up but a team like the Warriors is valued at 10x and what it was purchased for in 2014…and if it sold it would likely go for 12-15x of its purchase price… it’s not just because of new buyers.

I also know you can’t just buy a patch of dirt and wait 8-10 years and be set… what you didn’t see is that patch of dirt had to receive approvals, permits, etc… and also had carrying costs and such that have the chance to leave a guy broke if the acquirer can’t increase the value. You can buy and hold “dirt” for 15-20 years and see zero increase in value… trust me I am pretty familiar with developers and real estate… have watched developers make millions and also lose their shirts. If they buy a garbage project and neglect it they rarely make money… so back to the NBA… if it’s garbage and in worse shape than it has been in the past then why has it not had a down cycle in like 30+ years? Why has it skyrocketed in value time and time again?

And if you don’t like basketball that’s fine with me to say the product sucks… but if you say - hey that piece of property is garbage even though it’s in a place I enjoy thoroughly and people are falling all over themselves to get a piece of it… but there are homeless people that hang out there sometimes… I’m gonna call you a whiner… sorry… not trying to police your apathy.

Realistically a home is a poor investment from a building wealth standpoint, but I digress.
Not sure I agree there. I understand harvesting the investment has some pitfalls and you can buy in markets that end up deflating but as far as building wealth its been the best investment for me personally. My experience in the stock market hasn't been great... and my home purchases have been amazing... so I'm biased.

I would not be buying real estate in this market however.

Tbf, 90% of fans care more about stories, drama and amazing athletic performances than strategic nuances.

If Bucks execute the perfect game where they smash the other team with a collective team effort it barely moves the needle.... but if Giannis goes off for 50 points and 20 boards and they lose the new fans just keep pouring in.

Besides, marketing of all live sports has gone up since its one of the only ways marketeers are guaranteed to catch us in a specific situation these days (on our couch with our guard down).

Not sure I agree there. I understand harvesting the investment has some pitfalls and you can buy in markets that end up deflating but as far as building wealth its been the best investment for me personally. My experience in the stock market hasn't been great... and my home purchases have been amazing... so I'm biased.

I would not be buying real estate in this market however.
As with everything, your mileage may vary.

Tbf, 90% of fans care more about stories, drama and amazing athletic performances than strategic nuances.

If Bucks execute the perfect game where they smash the other team with a collective team effort it barely moves the needle.... but if Giannis goes off for 50 points and 20 boards and they lose the new fans just keep pouring in.

Besides, marketing of all live sports has gone up since its one of the only ways marketeers are guaranteed to catch us in a specific situation these days (on our couch with our guard down).
This makes sense because the entertainment is what pays the bills. The actual games and competition play second fiddle to the stories and the characters. It is a somewhat more legitimate WWF. (or whatever stupid acronym wrestling is using now)

You are so off base it is comical. That isn't even remotely close to enough for OG.
If you think Ainge is giving up more to get him you would be wrong imo. He might throw in Agbaji or Kessler, if the Raps demanded it, but not likely. The common opinion about OG is slightly overvalued based on his archtype is all I am saying. He has a solid case for being in the DPOY running this seaosn despite his 3 pointers being below league average this season, at least before he gets hurt again. Which he will in all likelyhood, which is the other reason he is valued less by me.
Anyone available that is a solid player like he is, either wants out, gets hurt alot and is not reliable, or both.
I bet someone else would overpay, or as you suggest correctly pay more to start a bidding war w/ Danny, so you could be right there, however I doubt Danny really wants him on this roster at more than I am suggesting. You are also undervaluing JC last seasons 6th man here imo. That is exactly what the Raps need and they are not happy with GTJ anymore.
You act like OG isn't available, but with their struggles to win I doubt anyone outside of Barnes is off the table there.

That’s deep IMO. Pregnant with ideas and implications. Not playin!

I mean if having a few new buyers is the difference then I assume the WNBA values are up 100x… I mean that’s a live sport too… it’s gone up because it’s a wildly popular live sport… and it’s popular because the product is good. Few new buyers has pushed the value up but a team like the Warriors is valued at 10x and what it was purchased for in 2014…and if it sold it would likely go for 12-15x of its purchase price… it’s not just because of new buyers.

I also know you can’t just buy a patch of dirt and wait 8-10 years and be set… what you didn’t see is that patch of dirt had to receive approvals, permits, etc… and also had carrying costs and such that have the chance to leave a guy broke if the acquirer can’t increase the value. You can buy and hold “dirt” for 15-20 years and see zero increase in value… trust me I am pretty familiar with developers and real estate… have watched developers make millions and also lose their shirts. If they buy a garbage project and neglect it they rarely make money… so back to the NBA… if it’s garbage and in worse shape than it has been in the past then why has it not had a down cycle in like 30+ years? Why has it skyrocketed in value time and time again?

And if you don’t like basketball that’s fine with me to say the product sucks… but if you say - hey that piece of property is garbage even though it’s in a place I enjoy thoroughly and people are falling all over themselves to get a piece of it… but there are homeless people that hang out there sometimes… I’m gonna call you a whiner… sorry… not trying to police your apathy.

All this for a little side point, I wouldn't expect less from you. I don't know if you even remember the actual discussion, but my point was that I don't like games that don't matter. I think you made this attempt to try to convince me otherwise by trying to say, "everyone else thinks this is amazing", but I really don't care. Soccer has been the most popular sport in the world and it's popularity has not changed my view on it. What changed my view on it was learning the structure of the competition and how much more meaningful ever game was.

I told you this was my view on the NBA and my view only. You could tell me I'm the only one who feels this way (viewership might say otherwise), but it's not going to bully me into liking the NBA lol. I don't need others to validate the fact that I like when games matter more. I don't like how we have to question if it was even good to win the game or whether or not we should trade our new young star on a cheap long term contract.

Somehow this has gone to whether or not market factors have driven the increase in value or the day to day product. To me, significantly more buyers with more money (both on the TV side and ownership side) is self explanatory. But I guess in your mind that doesn't matter, and it's actually the games that don't matter which is why NBA values are up. Choice is yours whether you think it's the changing market factors or the games which less people are watching.

This makes sense because the entertainment is what pays the bills. The actual games and competition play second fiddle to the stories and the characters. It is a somewhat more legitimate WWF. (or whatever stupid acronym wrestling is using now)

I don't disagree with this. I wouldn't say I even enjoy watching the sport of MMA very much, but the narrative of that sport and UFC is great. I have to follow along for the story.

I do think, however, the NBA has gotten lost in the sauce a bit. To me it started with the LeBron centric NBA. LeBron's career quickly became championship or bust and then it became championship or bust for everyone else. It left the regular season behind and introduced more tanking, resting, coasting etc. When it wasn't only about the title, the intermediate things had so much more joy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the main storyline the NBA is presenting (besides the Kyrie BS) is kinda boring. The story is that all that matters is the championship....sounds fine in theory but it leaves so much behind.

All this for a little side point, I wouldn't expect less from you. I don't know if you even remember the actual discussion, but my point was that I don't like games that don't matter. I think you made this attempt to try to convince me otherwise by trying to say, "everyone else thinks this is amazing", but I really don't care. Soccer has been the most popular sport in the world and it's popularity has not changed my view on it. What changed my view on it was learning the structure of the competition and how much more meaningful ever game was.

I told you this was my view on the NBA and my view only. You could tell me I'm the only one who feels this way (viewership might say otherwise), but it's not going to bully me into liking the NBA lol. I don't need others to validate the fact that I like when games matter more. I don't like how we have to question if it was even good to win the game or whether or not we should trade our new young star on a cheap long term contract.

Somehow this has gone to whether or not market factors have driven the increase in value or the day to day product. To me, significantly more buyers with more money (both on the TV side and ownership side) is self explanatory. But I guess in your mind that doesn't matter, and it's actually the games that don't matter which is why NBA values are up. Choice is yours whether you think it's the changing market factors or the games which less people are watching.
I was simply responding to the point and examples you brought up but sure... if you don't enjoy watching the NBA it might just be that you don't enjoy the sport of basketball. Not trying to convert you... its just a weird stance to say "yeah I love basketball" and " the nba is a garbage product cuz not every game carries extreme consequences".

Anyway you do you.. when those clouds appear you give em hell.

I was simply responding to the point and examples you brought up but sure... if you don't enjoy watching the NBA it might just be that you don't enjoy the sport of basketball. Not trying to convert you... its just a weird stance to say "yeah I love basketball" and " the nba is a garbage product cuz not every game carries extreme consequences".

Anyway you do you.. when those clouds appear you give em hell.

Well this has become circular. Liking basketball and wanting the basketball games to matter are not mutually exclusive. I honestly cannot comprehend how those are competing ideas. But no point in trying to hash that out again. You can just tell me how much I hate basketball because I wouldn’t know that about myself.

Anyways, this is just a long winded rant about why the NBA is ruined for me. If others still enjoy, I wish I was with you. The fact that Lauri being traded is a somewhat logical move, in large part because we cannot suck with him…..that represents what the modern NBA is and I can’t be bothered anymore. I’d rather follow a sport where the games matter and they matter because both teams want to win.

Call me a fair weather fan if you want, but that’s not it. It sucked when the Jazz were the best team in the league just as it does now. When the 82 game season means nothing, the league means nothing.
My bad you are right… loving basketball and saying the NBA is ruined and you can’t enjoy it are completely consistent thoughts and only an idiot would get it twisted lolz.

I mean if you want to be overly dramatic and quit following the sport cuz the regular season doesn’t mean enough for you it’s likely it’s just cuz you love the sport too much… if you love it then let it go right?

1671682159798.gif

My bad you are right… loving basketball and saying the NBA is ruined and you can’t enjoy it are completely consistent thoughts and only an idiot would get it twisted lolz.

I mean if you want to be overly dramatic and quit following the sport cuz the regular season doesn’t mean enough for you it’s likely it’s just cuz you love the sport too much… if you love it then let it go right?

I like basketball. The less meaning the basketball has the less I like the league. I don't like the NBA as much because the league has deemphasized the actual basketball being played. I don't know you understand this, but the sport of basketball and the league we call the NBA are not the same thing. My enjoyment of basketball hasn't changed. My enjoyment of the league has changed because of the increasing deemphasis on basketball and the increasing emphasis on games not mattering and losing on purpose. You may enjoy the preseason, the regular season, and the playoffs to different extents. That does not mean you like basketball less because you don't enjoy a preseason game the same as a playoff game.

But of course, you know whether or not I enjoy basketball more than myself. In the future instead of offering my opinions and rationale I will consult with you beforehand because you know more about what I feel and why I feel that way. I can't possibly form my own opinions and must have someone else make them up for me.

Last edited:
I like basketball. The less meaning the basketball has the less I like the league. I don't like the NBA as much because the league has deemphasized the actual basketball being played. I don't know you understand this, but the sport of basketball and the league we call the NBA are not the same thing. My enjoyment of basketball hasn't changed. My enjoyment of the league has changed because of the increasing deemphasis on basketball and the increasing emphasis on games not mattering and losing on purpose. You may enjoy the preseason, the regular season, and the playoffs to different extents. That does not mean you like basketball less because you don't enjoy a preseason game the same as a playoff game.

But of course, you know whether or not I enjoy basketball more than myself. In the future instead of offering my opinions and rationale I will consult with you beforehand because you know more about what I feel and why I feel that way. I can't possibly form my own opinions and must have someone else make them up for me.
who is losing on purpose?