What's new

Tobias Harris

so you want to give the MAX to a guy who didn't particularly assert himself in the playoffs. I know it doesn't mean he won't be better with the Jazz but I would certainly move cautiously with the MAX deal. At the right price I would love to sign him, but I don't consider him a star which is what the Jazz need.

You make it sound like the Jazz have a variety of star players to choose from and they should set their sights higher than Harris. Do you know how hard it is to get players to come to Utah? Especially a player of Harris's caliber. If he actually considers coming here then the Jazz offering him the max is an absolute no brainer.

And if you stretch Korver and Exum then you create >$10 million in cap space. Actual cap space. And you still have the room exception, I believe you have the bi-annual, and vet minimums.

This offseason is the time to go for it. There isn’t another time.

Here is the thing... I think Philly will very likely offer 5 year max deals to both guys. I think both should accept... they may look to trade one of them later and Tobias would still have some value (I think) unless he got hurt.

If he prefers or thinks a 4 year max with the fourth year as a player option and having a more prominent role would be just as good as a five year max then we have a shot.

I wasn't talking about Mitchell though he would do just fine as a point guard.
The reason people want holiday, kemba or Conley is because getting more talent is always a good thing.

We have a good small forward, a good power forward, and a good center but I still have desire for guys like Durant, kahwi, embiid and jokic.

Just because you have a good point guard doesn't mean you wouldn't want more good point guards.

Bucks have bledsoe and brogdan for example. They are probably going to the NBA finals

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

huh? so who's your good pg? who were you talking about if it's not DM?

His salary would still be on the books.
It's kind of complicated, but I think you're right. If I understand it correctly, a player continues to be counted against the cap, but the team has the choice to continue to pay the player or not if they retire willingly.

Agreed.
I will say that the past doesn't always make for a good indicator of the future though.
It generally is. Which is the main reason to respect and to study history.

I don't think his body can handle the rigors of the NBA, frankly. His body doesn't explode like Exum's, he just gets these sprains, strains, and whatever else just about every time he plays significant minutes.

He's a perfect 3rd string player.

Renouncing Favs + Rubio has to get us pretty close, close enough that we could maneuver around draft time to firmly get there before FA starts.

Favors is a really interesting piece; the deadline for exercising team options is about a week before FA opens. Can't imagine we hold onto him if we have a max-level target we feel likely to land, but the FO really values Favs. Gonna be interesting.

Yep it will. Because if they don’t pick up the team option and no big FA come here we may lose Favs and strike out. That would be a nightmare in my eyes.

Yep it will. Because if they don’t pick up the team option and no big FA come here we may lose Favs and strike out. That would be a nightmare in my eyes.
Not in mine. Being a wildly overpaid, glorified backup is to me.

The fit is not there. We know it isn't.

Not in mine. Being a wildly overpaid, glorified backup is to me.

The fit is not there. We know it isn't.

Overpaid yes. Under valued absolutely. I agree you don’t pay a backup that much. But saying he doesn’t fit as our back up center is bat **** crazy. Or are u meaning as the starting 4? I agree with that. But u won’t find a better back up center that legitimately wants to be here and is okay with his position as a backup. That’s an amazing asset to have.

And us striking out on free agents and losing Favs isn’t a nightmare to you?

Overpaid yes. Under valued absolutely. I agree you don’t pay a backup that much. But saying he doesn’t fit as our back up center is bat **** crazy. Or are u meaning as the starting 4? I agree with that. But u won’t find a better back up center that legitimately wants to be here and is okay with his position as a backup. That’s an amazing asset to have.
Backup 5s are the easiest and cheapest thing to get in the NBA. What he does as a 5 is a complete luxury, what he does as a 4 is create a ceiling for what this offense and our franchise pillars can do.

It's simple resource allocation; paying that amount of money to what is mostly a backup (or a lane-clogger) is foolish.

As a C, I think he'd be an above average starting C in this league. We already have an easily top-5 starting C. If you can get something through trade using that information and cap number, great, otherwise, let's try to actually improve the team instead of lazily settle for what is comfortable and familiar.

And if you stretch Korver and Exum then you create >$10 million in cap space. Actual cap space. And you still have the room exception, I believe you have the bi-annual, and vet minimums.

This offseason is the time to go for it. There isn’t another time.

Yup, go all in. Swing and over spend and whatever. Take that leap right now. No more kicking the can down the road.